Anyone ever had to sell off their gaming collection? The VC is great.

#1vermilion99Posted 9/4/2014 11:53:15 AM
I'm hoping that WiiU VC support picks up and Nintendo doesn't drop support or forget about it. As someone who wasn't a huge fan of downloading titles I already owned, I have definitely grown to appreciate what the Wii and WiiU VC offers.

2 years ago I was going threw financial problems. A divorce, losing my house, and then getting laid off out of the blue after 10 years all took there toll on me. The economy being as bad as it is caused me to be unemployed for much longer than expected. Eventually I started selling off my game collection to make ends meet and get myself out of trouble. It was a collection I had started with my first job when I was 15 and consisted of the NES, SNES, Genesis, PS, N64, PS2, Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, Wii, and a 360.

I had some pretty rare games such as Dragon Warrior 1-4 on the NES complete, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 on SNES complete, The Uninvited on the NES, and others. My NES collection was the biggest with over 90 games while Dreamcast was the smallest with around 20. Every other system was above the Dreamcast.

The hardest thing for me to sell, and the last thing I sold, was the N64 with my gold edition OoT, MM, Paper Mario, Super Mario 64, and Goldeneye. So many memories from that console. I will never be able to unlock all the cheats in Goldeneye again lol.

Needless to say it sucked, bad, having to do it. But now I can see the true beauty in the VC. I would never be able to build up my collection like that again. Too many other responsibilities. But, having them for a reasonable price on the VC is the next best thing. I'm hoping to see the WiiU VC support pick up. Has anyone else had a similar experience and are happy for the VC?
#2NiftyManZPosted 9/4/2014 11:57:15 AM
90 NES games. Geez. That is a huge money sink. Considering the inflated price of a release date NES is something like $700.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#3Granadico_Posted 9/4/2014 11:58:53 AM
damn that's a terrible story.
I've never had to deal with that, but i wasn't around for the (S)NES days, so that's why i like the VC. I get to play games i've always heard about but never got to play.
I was young during the N64 and GC days, so i dind't have many games still, so a lot of games I only got to rent or never even heard of i'll (hopefully) be able to buy/try.
This is why on the CN review stuff, i put Intermediate for gaming experience, even though i've been gaming for as long as i can remember (i'm gonna be 19 now), i had relatively few games and just plyed the hell out of them.
#4Luigi4PresidentPosted 9/4/2014 12:01:06 PM
I love VC, and the Wii + Wii U combined makes a pretty good library. Unfortunate you had to sell everything though, sounds like a wonderful collection.
---
If history repeats itself I'm getting a dinosaur
#5Retroxgamer0Posted 9/4/2014 12:01:59 PM
i would love to buy tons of vc titles, but nintendo withholds them, and gives inferior versions, and simply doesnt release some of them, so i gave up and got them through other means. it's okay, nintendo doesnt want my money.
#6vermilion99(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2014 12:02:59 PM
It was funny. When I originally owned my first Wii the VC didn't excite me. I had every system I wanted and their weren't many games that I didn't already have or wanted to buy. I think I had 2 VC purchases then. The original Super Mario 2/Lost Levels and Ys. Needless to say, I've downloaded a lot more games on my newer Wii.
#7zelgamerguyPosted 9/4/2014 12:03:52 PM
I've actually done this repeatedly. Not sure why since I keep eventually re buying them. I haven't done it in years though.
---
www.worldvieweverlasting.com
Friends code 3DS: 2707-3051-5461/NNID dario68w
#8Granadico_Posted 9/4/2014 12:08:42 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
i would love to buy tons of vc titles, but nintendo withholds them, and gives inferior versions, and simply doesnt release some of them, so i gave up and got them through other means. it's okay, nintendo doesnt want my money.

I've heard people complain about the VC release rate, and the prices, but never about inferior versions. What's inferior about it (besides obviously Dolphin)?
#9SetecAstronomyPosted 9/4/2014 12:17:52 PM
I sold all my NES and Genesis games before I went off to college in the mid 90's. VC is awesome, but there are a few games I loved that will never see the light of day again like Batman NES and Cool Spot. I'd also like to replay the NES version of Strider and the Genesis version of Flashback.
#10Retroxgamer0Posted 9/5/2014 5:06:14 PM
Granadico_ posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...

I've heard people complain about the VC release rate, and the prices, but never about inferior versions. What's inferior about it (besides obviously Dolphin)?

well they released yoshis island gba on wiiu, instead of the snes version. thats just one example. another, would be releasing inferior versions of street fighter, or black and white donkey kong gameboy, when color versions exist.