If Sonic LW gets the Smashing Sale, should I buy it? (never played a sonic game)

#1MercuryEnigmaPosted 9/4/2014 12:07:33 PM(edited)
80/80

I was planning on buying Sonic Lost Worlds when I first got my Wii U last year, but when I asked about it on the GameFAQs Sonic board, people pretty unanimously said that it's not a worthwhile game to get. So I didn't.

Does that opinion still hold, even with the sale that is likely to happen? Will this be a fun game for someone who has never played a sonic game before? Or will it likely turn me off of sonic entirely? Is it bad because it is a bad sonic game, or because it is just a bad game?
---
3DS FC: 1977-0634-7753
Not changing my sig until LostWinds gets a third installment.
#2zelgamerguyPosted 9/4/2014 12:10:46 PM
I'd say go for it. It has its flaws but overall it's a decent game. Nothing special.
---
www.worldvieweverlasting.com
Friends code 3DS: 2707-3051-5461/NNID dario68w
#3Mandrew257Posted 9/4/2014 12:11:19 PM
Yes, you should get it. They fixed alot of problems that the launch version had. 100 rings gives you a life(this seriously wasn't included in the beginning and I got like 20 continues because of it), wisps now use analog also(but for some reason you can't use the pro now). My main complaints are, the jump doesn't go very far, you can't do homing attacks endlessly. Usually when you hit a boss, you'll fall right on top of them and lose rings, and the deadly six are just terrible. The underground levels are pretty boring to. Not to mention you don't get any history on the deadly six, they just show up and leave. You don't even beat them. But I would still recommend.
---
If there's a Frozen world in Kingdom Hearts 3, or if Sora, Donald, and Goofy sing "Let It Go"; I WILL kill myself.
PSN/NNID:Mandrew257
#4Luigi4PresidentPosted 9/4/2014 12:16:07 PM
I didn't really like it. If you want some good Sonic games to play:

Sonic 1-Knuckles (1, 2, 3, Knuckles)
Sonic CD
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
---
If history repeats itself I'm getting a dinosaur
#5Juju_Architect_Posted 9/4/2014 12:37:27 PM
If you never played Sonic you might enjoy this game more than if you had. It plays rather differently on its own way.
I like Sonic games and I don't think this game is all that great. It sure doesn't deserve half the hate it gets but whatever.
I don't regret the 40 USD I spent on it.

Not sure if it will be part of the sale since NoA is giving us a crappy version of NoE's Smash sale. But even if it did you're better off buying a physical version. It can be easily found for 20 USD online and probably 30 or less in physical stores.
---
Cavorting about affixing Gogol Horns to houses does not constitute looking after an entire colony, Juju. -Dunban
#6SerpenttinePosted 9/4/2014 1:15:32 PM
I bought it during the lost world sale for $35, its neither a bad or good game. Only real complaint I have is not being able to use pro controller for single player.
---
3DS FC: 0189-9480-3816
#7orginalusernamePosted 9/7/2014 6:59:14 PM
I most likely said it in the sonic lost world board, but yes get it. This game does have it's share of flaws, but it ends up being a fun game.
---
orginalusername
#8DorotimusWitikPosted 9/7/2014 7:11:29 PM(edited)
I got it at launch. My opinion is that it is a bland and forgettable game with basically nothing that makes it stand out. It's not outright unplayable like Sonic 06, but the level design is crappy, the controls are a mess, the story and characters are completely out of nowhere and will almost certainly return to nowhere, and really the game's only particularly good quality is that it's easy on the eyes. But part of that is because of how geometrically simple everything is. Nothing about it feels real. It's like they took the concept of abstract levels from Mario Galaxy and made them more so and the end result is just a game that makes you go through the numbers.

It's funny because later on they released that one Zelda level and as small and insignificant as it was, it shined with a little bit of potential... like the idea that maybe the game would have been more enjoyable had it just been set in something that actually felt like a place instead of the phantom zone.
#9ZeroxKnuxPosted 9/7/2014 9:27:43 PM
DorotimusWitik posted...
I got it at launch. My opinion is that it is a bland and forgettable game with basically nothing that makes it stand out. It's not outright unplayable like Sonic 06, but the level design is crappy, the controls are a mess, the story and characters are completely out of nowhere and will almost certainly return to nowhere, and really the game's only particularly good quality is that it's easy on the eyes. But part of that is because of how geometrically simple everything is. Nothing about it feels real. It's like they took the concept of abstract levels from Mario Galaxy and made them more so and the end result is just a game that makes you go through the numbers.

It's funny because later on they released that one Zelda level and as small and insignificant as it was, it shined with a little bit of potential... like the idea that maybe the game would have been more enjoyable had it just been set in something that actually felt like a place instead of the phantom zone.

Pretty much this. It commits the biggest sin a game can commit: Be boring.
#10ilikepie641Posted 9/7/2014 9:42:08 PM
Just remember that LW isn't your stereotypical retro sonic game
---
3DS Friend Code: 2294-3549-5852
Accounts: Twitter: goo.gl/634tj / Deviantart: goo.gl/PY5i9 / Youtube: goo.gl/khLoj / Facebook: goo.gl/e9MH6