Another game that doesn't run smooth on my PC.

#1dark trunksPosted 10/4/2012 8:42:37 PM
I have to admit I'm not surprised at this point. I have two 580s in SLI, my CPU is an i7 920, I have 6GB of RAM, and as soon as I started the game I notice little drops in the framerate when I rotate the camera, and stutter.

I'm going to try and turn SLI off and see if that helps, but I doubt it will.

And you know something, this just goes onto a long list of games that do not run smooth on this PC. Arkham City runs like ****, Rage had massive drops in the framerate, Skyrim was never a perfect experience, Borderlands 2 for the most part runs like crap if I look into the distance, and especially if I turn on PhysX.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder why I even bothered have this PC built. Does anyone have any advice or any idea why this is happening?
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#2StolenDiagramPosted 10/5/2012 12:20:13 AM
By the sound of things, whoever built your PC probably shouldn't be building PCs. My non-gaming laptop gets highly playable framerates out of all of those games.

It's a dell xps 15 with a 2nd gen i5 sandy bridge, 4gb ram and a 525m graphics chip. If you're not getting at least console like fps then there's something very wrong with your system.
---
"What you see is the truth.
What you remember, that is the illusion":- Sephiroth FF7
#3dark trunks(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 6:11:45 AM
StolenDiagram posted...
By the sound of things, whoever built your PC probably shouldn't be building PCs. My non-gaming laptop gets highly playable framerates out of all of those games.

It's a dell xps 15 with a 2nd gen i5 sandy bridge, 4gb ram and a 525m graphics chip. If you're not getting at least console like fps then there's something very wrong with your system.

More often than not, the last time I played Crysis, my FPS was around 30fps, and would drop to mid or below 20fps.

I don't see a consistent framerate at all in any of those games. Even that Alice Madness Returns game, if I have PhysX on I don't get a smooth experience. I'll try it off sometime, but that's besides the point. Surely even with my PC, a game like that with PhysX on shouldn't really have an issue?

And even games without PhysX don't always run smooth, like this game. It's starting to piss me off now to be honest.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#4StolenDiagramPosted 10/5/2012 6:39:07 AM
Are those 2 graphics cards getting sufficient heat? Have you had a modern game run on it with performance that you'd expect?
---
"What you see is the truth.
What you remember, that is the illusion":- Sephiroth FF7
#5dark trunks(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 7:10:51 AM
StolenDiagram posted...
Are those 2 graphics cards getting sufficient heat? Have you had a modern game run on it with performance that you'd expect?

I would assume they are, but I couldn't say for sure.

With both the cards in SLI, Battlefield 3 does run at a consistent 60fps. If I disable one card, I drop to 40fps. To be honest with you, it's the only game I can really think of in recent months that actually runs well, so long as both cards are active.
---
#6sonicteam2k1Posted 10/7/2012 7:08:11 PM
my PC runs it at max and i have a single HD7870 with a Phenom II 955 X4 with 8GB RAM. Not sure why you're getting crap frame rates
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#7dark trunks(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 8:29:21 PM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
my PC runs it at max and i have a single HD7870 with a Phenom II 955 X4 with 8GB RAM. Not sure why you're getting crap frame rates

I don't know either. I'd love to know why.
---
#8ExMark72Posted 10/10/2012 9:24:34 AM
dark trunks posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...

I don't know either. I'd love to know why.

I'm sure you've tried just using one card w\ all these games?
Last I heard at least for Borderlands 2 that it doesn't scale well at all with xfire\sli
#9MasterEthelretPosted 10/11/2012 2:17:19 PM
Probably the SLI's fault. Very few games utilise Crossfire/SLI properly. You end up feeling like you wasted your money in most cases. Try running it on a single graphics card. Try updating your card's drivers before any of that though, may help.

If I can un it smoothly with a Q9550 CPU and a GTX280, there's no reason you shouldn't.
#10dark trunks(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 6:41:09 PM
I have done. Even in Borderlands 2 I get massive framerate drops looking at distant settlements/camps. I think I did try it with this, and it didn't help. I will try it again though.

Fortunately, I just got that Dishonored and that runs fine. So it's not everything. I'll try one card more often and see what I get from that, but times I have tried it, I haven't had that much success.
---