Remember when they were advertising "Super Widescreen?"

#1WarGreymon77Posted 1/12/2012 2:58:28 PM
You know, where they expand the viewing area to more of the surroundings? Which one is that, letterbox or the other one? I remember playing MGS1 on my PS3 and there were two ways to play it: Shrunken or expanded (full screen). I chose full screen of course. I hate having the screen shrunk. It's like those movies that have the widescreen black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I hate that crap so much.

So anyway... there is the original question (Which option is 'super widescreen'?) but I have another one too. If you choose letterbox, do you get the black bars all the time, or is it just during cutscenes? I haven't tested it.
#2AwesomebrandPosted 1/12/2012 4:08:56 PM
Haven't used it myself yet, but I hear choosing letterbox displays the black bars for all realtime cutscenes, just as it says. Fullscreen, the default, gets them black bars outta there for the cutscene to be all over your screen.
#3WarGreymon77(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2012 4:33:05 PM(edited)
On the one hand, I turned off captions (first time I've done that in an MGS game) because I was put off by the new font (and lack of black background to be able to read them) but on the other hand, I don't want to limit my playing area to a square on the screen (no matter how big the square is). I'd rather have the whole screen. Neither of the two options sound like they're "like the PS2".
#4NepheraelPosted 1/12/2012 10:03:34 PM
WarGreymon77 posted...
You know, where they expand the viewing area to more of the surroundings? Which one is that, letterbox or the other one? I remember playing MGS1 on my PS3 and there were two ways to play it: Shrunken or expanded (full screen). I chose full screen of course. I hate having the screen shrunk. It's like those movies that have the widescreen black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I hate that crap so much.

So anyway... there is the original question (Which option is 'super widescreen'?) but I have another one too. If you choose letterbox, do you get the black bars all the time, or is it just during cutscenes? I haven't tested it.

The black bars are there because your tv doesn't match the format. The black bar on top and bottom is actually the full picture. Lol kinda funny you thought it was shrunk when in fact that view is the one that gives you everything without the sides being chopped off =)
---
PSN: Nepherael /// I dig RPG's FPS's and quite a few other genres
XBL: Mahhbals /// Multiplayer is my passion. Add me if you like.
#5WarGreymon77(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2012 11:33:19 PM
If that's the case, then I'll try it tomorrow. My PS3 isn't hooked up to my old 19" CRT TV like my PS2, lol. My PS3 is hooked up to an LED monitor through HDMI and speakers. We'll see if what you say about the black bars is true...
#6NeoGrayFAQPosted 1/13/2012 2:40:56 PM
I've been using 'Letterbox' mode in MGS2, which I assumed was supposed to give me even more image on the left and right.

However...when I watched the cutscene where Raiden is using his scope to look for the Semtex and control panels, the big black bar on the bottom (where my captions are) completely hid the image of the Semtex. He'd say something like 'That must be the Control Panel', but I could only see the very top of it.

Maybe I'll go back to fullscreen...

Mind you, I have a 16:9 HDTV.
#7NepheraelPosted 1/13/2012 3:25:35 PM
AbsurdSnyper posted...
I've been using 'Letterbox' mode in MGS2, which I assumed was supposed to give me even more image on the left and right.

However...when I watched the cutscene where Raiden is using his scope to look for the Semtex and control panels, the big black bar on the bottom (where my captions are) completely hid the image of the Semtex. He'd say something like 'That must be the Control Panel', but I could only see the very top of it.

Maybe I'll go back to fullscreen...

Mind you, I have a 16:9 HDTV.

It's all about format. Unfortunately tv's and screen formats are vastly different so things will get cropped and stuff without you actually doing it. Letterbox definitely crops. The setting that doesn't crop anything is usually widescreen, 16:9, andmaybe full screen.

The black bars on top and bottom that I was talking about are when you have the setting on widescreen but you are using a regular tv that is about same length on all sides. That will put the whole picture in but since it doesn't match the tv's size it shrinks the image so it can show the extra bit on the sides. And since it does that it shows black on top.

I hope I explained this semi understandably. Basically I'm describing what happens when you throw a widescreen DVD in a non widescreen tv. If you get the standard version of that same DVD and compare them the black bars on top and bottom will be gone but part of each side will be chopped
---
PSN: Nepherael /// I dig RPG's FPS's and quite a few other genres
XBL: Mahhbals /// Multiplayer is my passion. Add me if you like.
#8WarGreymon77(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2012 10:27:38 PM
Well, I tried letterbox mode today (MGS3, same as before). Thankfully my fear of having to play the entire game with black bars was unjustified. It's only on during cutscenes, and only at the bottom. On the PS1/PS2 MGS games, I always played with the captions on, but for some reason I think full screen looks better with the HD Collection.

But I still don't know whether the "super widescreen" mentioned in the TGS trailer was referring to full or letterbox. I'm going to assume letterbox, but everything still looks sharp with full screen, so that's what I'm going with. Just... without captions.
#9WarGreymon77(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2012 2:05:40 PM
So which setting is the one mentioned in this trailer at around 1:05?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsdQBNeoBEM

Full screen or letterbox? Looks kinda like full screen to me. Or did they improve both?
#10AdairPosted 1/18/2012 10:58:08 PM
On PS2, MGS2 and MGS3 were played in "Fullscreen" mode which is normally 4:3 aspect ratio. During the cutscenes the black bars would show up since those scenes were a wider aspect ratio.

On PS3 and X360 they widened the aspect ratio while you are playing to 16:9.
They also have two options for cutscene aspect ratio:
Fullscreen, which is also 16:9(even though "fullscreen" used to be synonymous with 4:3)

and Letterbox, which shows the cutscenes with black bars.

The whole "Super Widescreen" advertisement seems to have been false as best that I can tell.

One would expect the Letterbox setting to be a wider aspect ratio(shrinking the whole picture frame so that it is shorter from top to bottom, but adding some normally unseen picture to the sides of the frame). But when I tried Letterbox it seemed to be the same aspect ratio as Fullscreen(16:9) but now cropped(cut off) by the black bars.

So IMO the Fullscreen setting is superior.