So....the story. What should have been improved (MASSIVE SPOILERS AHOY)

#1Pie_FOREVERPosted 2/19/2013 11:45:26 PM
From this line onward we will be discussing spoilers. Here we go.

I think the main problem with the Far Cry 3 story was that all the drug-fueled sequences, the Alice quotes and the madness of Vaas ultimately all meant nothing - there was no "BUT JASON IS VAAS!" twist. Jason "went down the rabbit hole" killed the Red Queen and a bunch of other dudes and came back out. When you kill Vaas, he's just dead and you then go after Hoyt. The second island was a standard "We have to infiltrate the enemy in order to take him down" trope. Vaas, the crazy guy who is on the front of the freaking box for crying out loud, is missing from the last third of the game and - aside from the ending ceremony - there is no "crazy" sequence to imply that maybe Jason is forever stuck in Wonderland.

It's as if the writer had all these ideas about madness but couldn't think of a satisfying ending to fully go through with it. I'm not hating on the writing, just that the madness implications felt really watered down in the last part of the game

I mean ultimately, all the cross referencing, all the "mind ****" sequences meant nothing, it's never quite explained or described why they are truly having any significance on the story. It's like they had an idea and it's just "there", and forgot to tie it up together neatly at the end.
#2Kashmir75Posted 2/20/2013 2:46:21 AM
I wish you had got to kill Vaas properly, not just in the drug fuelled haze of the hallucination sequence. I assume Jason did exactly that, he was on a drug high and just slaughtered Vaas. But I would have preferred to, after that dream sequence, taken on Vaas in the 'real world'.

I think the last act was fine. Hoyt was a menacing villain, maybe even more scary and insane than Vaas. That scene at the poker game where he stabs the guy in the throat, is so intense.
#3nordwestPosted 2/22/2013 8:39:16 AM
Kashmir75 posted...
I wish you had got to kill Vaas properly, not just in the drug fuelled haze of the hallucination sequence. I assume Jason did exactly that, he was on a drug high and just slaughtered Vaas. But I would have preferred to, after that dream sequence, taken on Vaas in the 'real world'.

I think the last act was fine. Hoyt was a menacing villain, maybe even more scary and insane than Vaas. That scene at the poker game where he stabs the guy in the throat, is so intense.

I'd like to have had the opportunity to 'really' kill them rather than those QTE-a-like kill 'em on rails events for both Vaas and Hoyt.

It is still kinda confusing though, Vaas on the box, Vaas' face morphing to Jason's in the load screens, 'face your insanity' etc, all without any direct payoff to that story arc (ie Jason seeing his own reflection at the ceremony and at least looking similar to Vaas - ?) Odd, and rather unfulfilling in what was an otherwise good game.
---
beep
#4squiggy9996999Posted 2/22/2013 11:12:20 AM
i liked how they handled Vas's death. the other big boss QTE was really annoying (Hoyt). no fun at all.

i have only one complaint and i have made it many times:

the kidnapping at the end was just plain stupid. the entire game i was thinking about the end, and as i played i decided to stay and be a killer over being with friends. but then before you make the choice they kidnap your friends and force you to kill them, which is too unbelievable (because jason does love them)

the entire game i am going to choose one way, but then at the last second they pull that on you and it felt cheap. before that, citra seemed like a psycho, but it was IMPLIED. Hints from Vass and the things she says, the game beautifully set up a vague scenario. i knew she was going to do something "unexpected" but that was way too much.

now, imagine if there is no kidnap, instead you choose citra and your friends leave. but she has your baby and your legend, teh last thing she wants is you in the way so she kills you. the end of the story is the moment you realize that you were wrong in trying to be a psycho killer warrior who has it all. you die based on your morally ambiguous choice.

it just seemed like they spent so much time setting up the end and then screwed the pooch in the last 20 minutes.
#5Arron27Posted 2/23/2013 2:32:45 PM
^^ I agree with your first but disagree with your second part,
The story was really good till you do like 2 missions on the second island then it became filler missions and no story, Then right at the end it picked it again, I thought Vass should have came back later on but thought hoyt was a good villian, I also liked the end, I picked kill the friends, I played it out in my head that the island made Jason mad like Vass so thats why he did it lol I was pi$$ed when i got backstabbed but in a really good way
#6Nelo_PortgasPosted 2/24/2013 1:04:03 PM
I was never expecting a Jason is Vaas kind of twist... what I *was* expecting was that after you killed Vaas he'd haunt Jasons mind for the rest of the game. Making his crazy comments, observations, making Jason question his reality.
When Jason was torturing his brother, the voice of Vaas could have been egging him on, more, more. A missed opportunity to say the least... even when completely destroyed, Vaas would have become Jasons shadow.
---
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Nelo-Tattoo/tumblr_lc9n0wlFUT1qzozj1.gif
#7jazztronautPosted 3/2/2013 6:03:02 PM
the final fight with hoyt was ridiculous, story wise.
---
If you love your job, you'll never have to work a day in your life.
psn: jazztronaut
#8EremyndilPosted 3/3/2013 7:25:50 PM
I really enjoyed the story. I like when she says "you won". To me that was more like a "**** ***".

After the "insanity" trailer I decided to avoid the rest. So after finishing the story I saw a couple. It seems Vaas turned into something greater than they had planned. Can't tell if the story changed because of this. I do believe the advertising did.

I don't mind any of the characters dying. The only connection in the series is the survival aspect. Hmm, wait, iirc I read someone saying that FC2's bad guy was FC1's hero. Is this correct?
---
2005: Console gamers (the early adopters) become pay-to-play game testers for bugs & glitches.
Stanley Woo: "we, BioWare, don't owe you a patch"
#9David90854Posted 3/4/2013 10:56:12 AM
I felt dead inside when I killed Vass. Im like ALREADY? But great game tho
---
Fear No Evil
#10atomicgardenPosted 3/4/2013 1:39:30 PM
I just finished the game, I had it for a while, but lacking time I only played every few days...still I managed to avoid spoilers.

What surprised me the most is how they handled Vaas. Not only because he's on the box and in all the ads for the game, the way people talked about him on various gaming sites. I saw people saying he's one of the coolest villain on this generation of console, some people talked about him like if he's an ultimate villain or something. To a point that, when I killed him halfway through the game, I thought he wasn't dead. The fact that you kill him during an hallucination sequence didn't helped but I kept thinking he was gonna show up later in the game. Wrong, you're just going after Hoyt. I was really surprised that they killed him so early in the game. He wasn't bad, he was a cool villain, but that's it. Very overrated IMO.

The lamest thing in this game were the boss fights. Buck, Vaas and Hoyt. I know it's an fps, but I'm so tired of QTE boss fights, it's pointless and require no skills at all. Whatever happened to boss fights being epic and hard ?