Co-op teammates... what are you doing?!

#1LeQuack147Posted 5/14/2013 10:00:33 PM
Almost any co-op mission that involves defense seems to take a couple tries, especially the last part of the last mission. Not because the enemy is difficult to fight, even. It's usually because the other teammates get cocky.

They spread out, they sit in front of the enemy spawn points, and then they all get flanked or overwhelmed, and I'm sitting there, looking at 3 revive icons, trying to figure out which rescue is the least suicidal.

I could understand spawn-camping the enemy if you had a gun that only worked at close range, like a shotgun or flamethrower. It would make sense then. But no, it's guys with assault rifles and machine guns.

The worst part is, there's usually cover they COULD be using. The last mission has like 4 spots where you can comfortably take the enemies as they come without being shot from every angle at the same time. The house next to the bunker entrances is great. Just had a team hold that spot the entire time. But most people would rather stand just outside that building, shooting the guys coming out of one door, and then get downed because they're being shot in the back by the guys coming out the other door.

My personal favorite is when we had to redo that last section 7 times because of that.
---
Your parents must've been killed by quickscopers or something. And then put into a trickshot montage. -SullyTheStrange
#2bongobreakPosted 5/14/2013 11:06:25 PM(edited)
I know exactly what you mean, time after time I have had to revive a dummy for getting overwhelmed at a choke point, because they've gone all 'NO GUTS, NO GLORY!!' on me!! LOL
Stupid Rambos!! XD

The same thing happened to me just now whilst also playing the payback level - the final shootout at the dockside was an utter disaster!!

After clearing the first wave of bad guys, I pushed the button, and took up a position behind the low wall near the button (and more importantly, near the ammo), and watched in disbelief as two of our team went storming past the ruined building opposite, near to where the enemies spawn, and just sat there waiting to be chewed up!
Which they inevitably did!!

I even thought to myself "Well.....if they die, they can just jolly well sit it out! Me and my buddy here will complete it on our own!", but of course the number of enemies is scaled to the number of players and we had to risk our lives to save them!
And yeah, they went back and did it AGAIN!
After which, we all promptly died, and I promptly left! LOL

Another thing I'm getting tired of (although maybe I'm alone on this one) is the fact that stealth is completely ignored in public co-op.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone is a 'run-and-gunner'!

There I am, quietly sneaking up to an enemy position, and thundering past me are three, (what can only be described as), gun-crazy maniacs!! LOL
(Don't get me wrong, I fully realise that it doesn't have to be a stealthy game, running and gunning is good fun sometimes, but it sure seems counter productive a lot of the time - not to mention counter intuitive)

And this is from experienced players too - level 75s with maxxed loadouts etc.
(Although maybe they are forced into it, as all too often, it'll be some dummy that will go storming in and kick off a big ruckus!)

It makes life a LOT easier if you can sneak in, take out silently, as many targets as possible, and then you're in a much better position to deal with what's left when things heat up.

In all the time I've been playing the public co-op lobbies, only once have I met a player that prefers the stealthy approach.
Together we managed to knife our way silently through a significant number of sections, before finally having a much more manageable gun battle at the end of a mission.

I wonder why most people have an aversion to taking time and being careful?
(Rhetorical)

(Rant over!)

:-)
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
#3LeQuack147(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 11:17:44 PM
Oddly enough, the guys I run into don't have trouble with stealth, at least at first. They won't sneak through a mission doing nothing but knifing, but they'll look around and mark targets before we start the attack, which usually results in the entire first group of enemies being annihilated in 1 big move. That's fun.
---
Your parents must've been killed by quickscopers or something. And then put into a trickshot montage. -SullyTheStrange
#4bongobreakPosted 5/14/2013 11:33:53 PM
True, the planned, surprise assaults are indeed very satisfying, but it seems very rare (at least to me) to get a full team in the public lobbies that all know how the dynamics of such a strategy should work.

Sure, to start with, it's all quiet targeting, but then........

"NO GUTS, NO GLORY!!"

.......and revive icons, and I'm left looking and feeling like an old fart because I don't join in the carnage!! LOL

Maybe I'm just unlucky with the lobbies I've been placed into - it does happen to me a lot though!

:-)
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)