Far Cry 3 shouldnt diverge from the Far Cry 2 mold too much

#1bethyreedPosted 3/3/2012 10:54:08 PM
You look at ME1 to ME2

You look at Red Faction Guerilla to Red Faction Armageddon

You look at DAO to DA2

All the sequels wrecked what came before, that was good and didnt fix what was wrong.

I hope that ubisoft doesnt throw the entire game out just to get rid of things like malaria and a respawn issue.
#2bionicman_3090Posted 3/5/2012 12:56:24 AM
The respawn is something that no one liked I'm sure. But the malaria part was a nice feature for me. On one hand, you're fighting the bad guys and on the other, there's a constant battle with yourself.

The reasons why Far Cry 2 wasn't a ground-breaking game were

1. Rapidly respawn guard checkpoints which you had to drive past.

2. Not enough content in terms of free-roam. You drove around and found nothing of interest. The only reason you'd drive off the road was to find diamonds.

3. The factions were lame and served no consequence as you would work for both of them. All the factions did was to serve as a distraction to mundane driving.

4. The main story was average at best and didn't end well.

5. The buddies didn't offer too much in the way of making an impression on you. As such, you didn't care too much, if at all, about them and their well-being.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#3tzar_666Posted 3/5/2012 12:38:14 PM
it was more about how mercinaries only care about money not carign who or waht they hurt
---
"questions are a burden to others and a danger to you"- cleveland brown
#4bethyreed(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2012 10:35:44 PM
Most of those things are true

You can include more content
You can make the story a bit more compelling

But none of that has to change the open sand box feel of total freedom.

Fast traveling from a bus station to another, hoping in a random car, driving down to a location covered in 10 highly dangerous people and deciding just exactly how you wanted to obtain what you wanted from them is far better then having the developers throw you into a set piece of zip lines and crumbling rock formations while you run through their maze for their cheese.
#5tzar_666Posted 3/11/2012 9:05:53 AM
no one knows what this game is goign to be every far cry is different then the last
---
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/13/2012 4:13:02 AM
By that logic, Far Cry 2 shouldn't have diverged from the Far Cry mold so much.
Personally, I think they should scrap Far Cry 2 entirely. As nice a concept as it was, they tried it, and failed.
---
{Phenom II 960T 3.7ghz(1.3v)|Hyper 212+|Asus M4N75TD 2600mhz NB/HT|2x2GB 1600@1.5v|GTX460 Hawk 845mhz(1.02v)|Antec TP-650|PX128-M3|1TB 7200rpm|2TB 5400rpm}
#7tzar_666Posted 3/13/2012 7:47:26 AM
im sorry it was to hard for you,
---
#8bethyreed(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2012 12:48:50 AM
No, because i played Far cry 2 before any of the lousy sci fi rejects called Far Cry

Far cry 2 never failed

It has a few features that were ill conceived but they can be eliminated and they can keep the rest.

Who can argue that freedom to roam and do what you want to do when you want to do it is a bad thing?
#9OMGitsnanoPosted 3/14/2012 1:20:12 AM

Far cry 2 was a missunderstood genius man, brought very coold features to the game, but wasn't executed right, I mean you didn't felt like fudging superman like in earlier games, you were actually vulnerable, even if you had a better weapon.

#10bionicman_3090Posted 3/15/2012 1:31:27 AM
bethyreed posted...
No, because i played Far cry 2 before any of the lousy sci fi rejects called Far Cry
Far cry 2 never failed

It has a few features that were ill conceived but they can be eliminated and they can keep the rest.

How can you say that FC2 never failed but then immediately say that some features were "ill-conceived"? Plenty of features in FC2 failed and badly at that.

bethyreed posted...
Who can argue that freedom to roam and do what you want to do when you want to do it is a bad thing?

Free-roam is bad when there's nothing interesting to run into on your travels, like in FC2. You could drive practically anywhere and see the wild-life react to your vehicle but in the end, what was goal in free-roam? All you did was find diamonds and run into checkpoints that respawned guards within a few of minutes after you killed them all.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.