Far Cry 2 was almost the perfect shooter, why change it so drastically?

#1agentspoonPosted 1/6/2012 5:33:08 PM
Huge open world that gets rid of liner corridor set pieces.

The need to collect supplies or face having to hoof it back to base camp.

Weapons breaking added such tense moments to the game and if you kept your eye on your weapon it wasn't too game breaking.

The health system was gross and unique to Far Cry, yes were still a bullet sponge but it game with its limits and honestly I never got tired of the heal animations.

Why remove nearly all the things that made the game unique? And replace them with things every other shooter is doing.

I know that Far Cry 2 kinda slipped in obscurity and would have died if not for the map maker but still....I wish it didn't have to come to that.
---
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!
#2specialkid8Posted 1/6/2012 6:36:29 PM
We still know next to nothing about this game. There is still plenty similar to Farcry 2. open world is still there as are supplies I imagine. The others, although neat, weren't really the meat of the game. The breaking weapons was only moderately less annoying than malaria. I do agree about the health system though. It's still early. They may change that. We can hope.
#3Duffy12323Posted 1/7/2012 1:57:36 PM
specialkid8 posted...
We still know next to nothing about this game. There is still plenty similar to Farcry 2.

Did you watch last years trailer?? its like a bond game now.

I completely agree OP, they seem to have removed everything I liked about 2. Im still going to get it on release though. Just hope I like it.
#4specialkid8Posted 1/7/2012 2:12:31 PM
Duffy12323 posted...
specialkid8 posted...
We still know next to nothing about this game. There is still plenty similar to Farcry 2.

Did you watch last years trailer?? its like a bond game now.

I completely agree OP, they seem to have removed everything I liked about 2. Im still going to get it on release though. Just hope I like it.

How is it like a Bond game? That was just a cinematic gameplay section. It is hardly representative of the full game.
#5Standupguy305Posted 1/8/2012 4:57:04 PM
Agree 100% TC. I'm currently trying to complete FC2 have played it on and off for like 2 years now, got kinda a love hate thing with it lol. I love the survival aspect of it, especially how u can only hold like 3 clips per weapon and the weapons breaking. They certainly need to keep this aspect also the healing as well. In fact I think they should go even more hardcore and make it so u can only carry 2 weapons instead of 3
---
XBL and PSN: QUIK305
"Talk to me Hudson!"-Sgt.Apone, Aliens
#6rob_dAmAgEPosted 1/9/2012 12:11:42 PM

I love you guys, and i Totally Agree!!! I'm also on the side of weapons locking up and breaking- (i really thought that added more tension to the game).

I'm definitely going to miss the 'buddy system'. I loved that cut scene/gore/healing when a friend came to your aid.

(granted, you never know as we still haven't seen much of the game- but i'm hoping this will be great!)

#7Standupguy305Posted 1/9/2012 2:47:50 PM
rob_dAmAgE posted...
I love you guys, and i Totally Agree!!! I'm also on the side of weapons locking up and breaking- (i really thought that added more tension to the game).I'm definitely going to miss the 'buddy system'. I loved that cut scene/gore/healing when a friend came to your aid.(granted, you never know as we still haven't seen much of the game- but i'm hoping this will be great!)

Dude!! Totally forgot about the buddy system. They need to bring it back an expand on it maybe make it so that your buddy can travel with you and back u up. But what I really am hoping for is co op, I think that would really make this game amazing, even if its just 2 player co op. Hell id be willing to buy FC2 again full price if they rereleased it with co op. I mean just imagine you and ur co op partner racing up river you driving the boat and ur partner manning the gun on you way to raid one of the outposts. Or you sneaking into an enemy camp in the dark on one of those hostage rescue or sabotage missions with your co op buddy providing sniper cover and calling out targets from a rooftop a few hundred yards away. Man that would be so awesome!!
---
XBL and PSN: QUIK305
"Talk to me Hudson!"-Sgt.Apone, Aliens
#8Fishman24Posted 1/12/2012 9:20:19 PM
My biggest problems in Far Cry 2 where

The Malaria

And

Enemy Camps/ Bases Respawning too quickly- it made moving in the world annoying because u had to constantly deal with that base.

Also all of the random patrolling cars became annoying because I would have to stop progressing to my objective and stop and have to deal with the car. This almost made me not want to drive in the game because I did not want to have to deal with these mobile patrols.

Also many of the missions where repetitive IMO

I liked the idea of the contracts from gun dealer but they where pretty much the same every time.

Also I am not sure if this happens but I remember hitting a guy with a machete and then having to hit him again when he is down. IMO he should have never entered the Call of Duty like Last Stand after being hit with a machete.

These where my main problems with the game. And all where relatively minor except the base problem and the mobile patrol because IMO it made moving in the game tedious.

Concerning the Weapons degrading:
I was not really affected because I would just pick up a weapon from my weapon cache. And for the most part avoid picking up enemy weapons.

If my major problems from 2 are fixed I feel like this game will be almost perfect because those problems became unbearable eventually for me.
#9MostlySlowJoePosted 1/13/2012 8:27:51 PM
Fishman24 posted...
My biggest problems in Far Cry 2 where

The Malaria

And

Enemy Camps/ Bases Respawning too quickly- it made moving in the world annoying because u had to constantly deal with that base.

Also all of the random patrolling cars became annoying because I would have to stop progressing to my objective and stop and have to deal with the car. This almost made me not want to drive in the game because I did not want to have to deal with these mobile patrols.

Also many of the missions where repetitive IMO

I liked the idea of the contracts from gun dealer but they where pretty much the same every time.

Also I am not sure if this happens but I remember hitting a guy with a machete and then having to hit him again when he is down. IMO he should have never entered the Call of Duty like Last Stand after being hit with a machete.

These where my main problems with the game. And all where relatively minor except the base problem and the mobile patrol because IMO it made moving in the game tedious.

Concerning the Weapons degrading:
I was not really affected because I would just pick up a weapon from my weapon cache. And for the most part avoid picking up enemy weapons.

If my major problems from 2 are fixed I feel like this game will be almost perfect because those problems became unbearable eventually for me.

I have yet to play farcry 2 so I can't say if you are right or wrong , but I will tell you whats wrong with farcry 2 right now without even playing it.

It came out when fallout 3 did......hell I didn't even know there was a part 2 till tonight when I hit the wrong message board letter.I spent most the night watching vids and farcry 2 looks great to me I'm grabing a copy tomorrow.

Sounds like the game is getting overhauled tho?I don't know why they would punish the gamers for the marketing team not forseeing maybe the best game this generation releasing the same god dam month as farcry 2.......
#10OMGitsnanoPosted 1/16/2012 5:53:43 PM

U guys should go play S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Shadow of chernobyl, clear sky or Call of pripyat, it's moderately similar, but with a slight horror touch.