Loving the push towards team based multiplayer!!

#11Ice WeaselPosted 4/18/2012 11:39:04 AM
usmovers_02 posted...
Yup! Me too. People have been asking for bots for a while now.

Yeah the reason why so few games have them is not from lack of demand but because it's so difficult to program decent bot A.I. Several developers have flat-out admitted they weren't capable of it. I can count on one hand the number of FPS I've played in the last several years with outstanding A.I.

Plus you have the problem of processing power and how much it takes to have several individual A.I's running around. That's why most games this gen have a 15-bot cap. I'm hoping that with the next generation of consoles we can see some improvements. All too often I am completely turned off of playing with the idiotic humans I encounter online.
---
PSN & GT: Bleak5170
#12Perfect LightPosted 4/18/2012 1:23:40 PM
All too often I am completely turned off of playing with the idiotic humans I encounter online.

Yep, pretty much the reason I play single-player basically all the time. Every now and then I dip my toes into multiplayer, but not very often.
---
youtube.com/sciencebytes...learn something new
#13usmovers_02Posted 4/18/2012 7:38:40 PM
Ice Weasel posted...
usmovers_02 posted...
Yup! Me too. People have been asking for bots for a while now.

Yeah the reason why so few games have them is not from lack of demand but because it's so difficult to program decent bot A.I. Several developers have flat-out admitted they weren't capable of it. I can count on one hand the number of FPS I've played in the last several years with outstanding A.I.

Plus you have the problem of processing power and how much it takes to have several individual A.I's running around. That's why most games this gen have a 15-bot cap. I'm hoping that with the next generation of consoles we can see some improvements. All too often I am completely turned off of playing with the idiotic humans I encounter online.

Lol :) Yes, I know this ;) It's been discussed to death on these forums.

But as for AI processing taking power, it really doesn't. AI is controlled by a script. These scripts are just kilobytes, MAYBE a few megabytes at max. However, the actual mesh and textures that the AI script is controlling are far more resource intensive. So the 15-20 or so enemies we see on screen is because of the high polygon count and all the textures more so than it is because of the tiny AI script.
---
Arrow in the knee: http://skyrimnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=10753
SPACEngarde: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/imageshare/image.php?id=41978
#14Ice WeaselPosted 4/19/2012 3:46:21 AM
usmovers_02 posted...
Ice Weasel posted...
usmovers_02 posted...

But as for AI processing taking power, it really doesn't. AI is controlled by a script. These scripts are just kilobytes, MAYBE a few megabytes at max. However, the actual mesh and textures that the AI script is controlling are far more resource intensive. So the 15-20 or so enemies we see on screen is because of the high polygon count and all the textures more so than it is because of the tiny AI script.

Actually that's only for single-player. Multiplayer is a whole different matter as it's not so much script-based. MP A.I. is completely different than SP A.I. It's not the polygon counts and textures as today's hardware is capable of putting hundreds of enemies on-screen, (see Dead Rising), as long as they don't have to actually think.
---
#15usmovers_02Posted 4/19/2012 11:37:02 AM
Yeah, then you have to deal with net-coding and thats a WHOLE new beast.
---
Arrow in the knee: http://skyrimnexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=10753
SPACEngarde: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/imageshare/image.php?id=41978
#16Ice WeaselPosted 4/19/2012 2:22:06 PM
usmovers_02 posted...
Yeah, then you have to deal with net-coding and thats a WHOLE new beast.

Don't even get me started on that. I have lost track of the number of games I've played in the last year or so which had massive online issues at launch, (Killzone 3, Black Ops, Homefront, Crysis 2, Twisted Metal, MW 3, Resistance 3, Battlefield 3 etc.....).
---