I hope they get the amosphere right.

#1wolfwingPosted 11/26/2012 8:10:32 AM
which from reviews it seems so, but to me the biggest thing about 2 was just the atmosphere how it often felt like I actually was in africa from the graphics, sounds and other things. What about you guys?
---
Mithra 72 Paladin/36 Warrior Asura.
#2DarkVortexPosted 11/26/2012 8:14:02 AM
Atmosphere'll be better than ever mate, I can assure you when you're wading thru that river up to your neck and that croc comes ova and puts ya in a deathroll, then you'll know.
---
SATSUGAI!!!!!
#3wolfwing(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 8:17:22 AM
What it looks like :> So few games have good atmosphere where it feels like your in the game rather then just going from point A to point B.
---
#4DarkVortexPosted 11/26/2012 8:23:49 AM
I feel you... Even though many would disagree with me, I got absorbed into the atmosphere of Max Payne 3, by the end of the game, I WAS Max Payne, I DID have a drinking and drug problem, and I DID get my vengeance.
---
SATSUGAI!!!!!
#5wolfwing(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 8:28:35 AM
oh a game doesn't have to be sandbox or non linier to have atmosphere to me. I just mean that alot of games while the setting, and the sights are nice, they are just backdrops to the plot and doing what ever it is you do in the game. I'm more concerned about trying to beat the game to see how things turn out, then play the game for whats in it...maybe it's just me getting older :>

Though the gameplay itself can be atmospheric even if the game isn't. Like you said max payne for you, the prince of persia's for me :> there is nothing I loved more in those games then having failed the same section 30 times, doing it all in one smooth motion that made me feel like I actually was doing those moves. Another good one is the batman games, of coure they are both atmospheric in game and gamplay :>
---
#6wolfwing(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 8:32:11 AM
A game that I enjoyed but wasn't quiet atmospheric was Halo 4. Yes it had beutiful moments, but it was more a OHHH and AHHHH during the cutscenes and then hunker down and shoot stuff not really seeing everything beyond that. I liked the story and such which kept me going, but I wasn't really excited about the graphics beyond they were nice and some of the best.
---
#7Perfect LightPosted 11/26/2012 8:37:18 AM
You're talking about immersion, where you feel like you're part of the game. If a game can't immerse me in its world, I'm probably not going to play it.
---
E . ` ' / . F Your tears fuel me.
#8embittererPosted 11/26/2012 9:31:20 AM
DarkVortex posted...
I feel you... Even though many would disagree with me, I got absorbed into the atmosphere of Max Payne 3, by the end of the game, I WAS Max Payne, I DID have a drinking and drug problem, and I DID get my vengeance.

Me too! Though I never played Max Payne...
---
Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
#9bluehat94Posted 11/26/2012 9:34:32 AM
DarkVortex posted...

I don't think very many would disagree, MP3 was one of the best games released this year.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#10dooyaunastanPosted 11/26/2012 9:48:32 AM
Rockstar's narrative is always stellar, between the talk radio stations discussing in-game politics and nonsense, the characters quirky remarks and the scripted story itself, Rockstar has never failed to immerse me in a release of theirs.

Far Cry 2 was one of the most alien, and inhospitable game worlds I've played in since Morrowind, and most, if not every gamer who has seriously given Morrowind a go, will tell you that it's probably the most highly regarded in that respect. Far Cry's good at making the world around you feel real, rather than rely on characters and the small little jewels that Rockstar does.

Given that Far Cry 3 already has a 91 averaged from 13 early reviews, and from what I've seen in the trailers, Far Cry 3 very well could be the game of the year.
---
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison