If not this for GOTY then what?

#51namewitheldPosted 12/5/2012 12:24:05 PM
_Spacio_ posted...
I agree it should be The Walking Dead. I was a little unsure about it when it first came out so I waited until episode 3 came out to get it but man was I impressed.

They take the "zombie" genre in a completely different direction and imo, its hands down the best use of zombies in a game to come out this year, or in the past few years for that matter. The character interaction is excellent and the voice acting is amazing, you really get emotionally invested in the characters. Clementine is quite possibly the greatest child character ever in a video game (a huge statement I know).

Quite simply its an amazing game and a breath of fresh air.

Its not really a game though.

Its just another piece of 'story telling' involving ZOMBIES OMG.

If you like watching the walking dead (i personally think its a bag of ****) then youll like watching the 'game'. But gamers wont like it at all.
#52_Spacio_Posted 12/5/2012 1:26:59 PM
namewitheld posted...
_Spacio_ posted...
I agree it should be The Walking Dead. I was a little unsure about it when it first came out so I waited until episode 3 came out to get it but man was I impressed.

They take the "zombie" genre in a completely different direction and imo, its hands down the best use of zombies in a game to come out this year, or in the past few years for that matter. The character interaction is excellent and the voice acting is amazing, you really get emotionally invested in the characters. Clementine is quite possibly the greatest child character ever in a video game (a huge statement I know).

Quite simply its an amazing game and a breath of fresh air.

Its not really a game though.

Its just another piece of 'story telling' involving ZOMBIES OMG.

If you like watching the walking dead (i personally think its a bag of ****) then youll like watching the 'game'. But gamers wont like it at all.

You're crossing into dangerous territory here by not calling it a game. Sure its more hands off than a sports game or shooter but being story driven over hands on action driven doesn't mean its not a true game. Is Myst a game? Heavy Rain? The combat in turn-based JRPGs? The walking dead fall nicely in with those games.
---
"I don't do ups, ups defy gravity, gravity is a law and I obey the law!"
#53JipoPosted 12/5/2012 3:25:33 PM
ugh, don't know how you can say diablo 3, that game is repetitive farming garbage, gets boring after you clear it for like the 2nd or 3rd time in a row.

Far cry 3 has been one of the most fun titles i have played in a while, so far it tops dishonored, borderlands 2, halo 4, and blops 2. Havent tried Darksiders 2 or AC3, but the previous titles were decent.
#54Redd_WhitePosted 12/5/2012 3:54:44 PM
callitkarma13 posted...
To my mind nothing this year has come out that's been as enjoyable as this has. Dishonored is a close second but it's far too short. Hitman was disappointing as hell (to the extent that playing Dishonored in a certain way felt more like a hitman game than hitman did) and AC3/COD35/Halo4 were all very predictable and just meh.

Your opinions?

SunDevil77 posted...
There are tons of possibilities for GOTY.

Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, The Walking Dead, Borderlands 2, Assassins Creed 3, Far Cry 3, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2...etc, etc.

Hem, not to sound harsh, but do you guys even play anything besides western big budget games ? Xenoblade came out this year in the US as far as I know and it's tons of fun, and virtue's last reward, man, virtue's last reward...I challenge anyone who has played it to claim it's not GOTY material. It's 25 hours of perfectly paced mind blowing story. Far cry 3 is the only serious contender.
#55SunDevil77Posted 12/5/2012 3:56:41 PM(edited)
Oh no how can you say diablo is good?! I dont like it so neither should you!!

And yes, xenoblade should be on there (notice the etc, etc.) Xeno is one of the finest games I've played this gen, I just forgot to list it at that moment.
---
Kansas is full of good men, I don't want to be a good man. I want to be a great one.
#56ChelloYallPosted 12/5/2012 3:58:07 PM
For me The Walking Dead series is a serious contender due to being so different and surprisingly good. Its been a long time since I played a point and click and I had no idea I'd love it as much as I did, that game really surprised me. Top writing, suprises, that dread feeling knowing anybody could get it at any time, anybody! The game had a lot to offer.

That being said, I personally haven't played a game this year that I'm loving more than this one, including the excellent Walking Dead episodes. I'm going to have to stick to this one, but I can see why a lot of other games would be contenders. Its been a damned good year.
#57ThierrymonPosted 12/5/2012 4:01:31 PM
For me it would be Journey followed by Max Payne 3 and Dishonored.

The Walking Dead was great but considering i havent been able to play episode 4 and 5 due to "the walking dead101.exe has stopped working" bug then that cant be anywhere on my list. Plus they seem to have made no effort to fix the bug despite a decent number of people having it.

I havent played Far Cry 3 yet but i hope it rivals my top 3 games.
#58BENDMMAFANPosted 12/5/2012 4:11:49 PM
Nobody will agree with me but Silent Hill Downpour is mine. Mostly because survival horror is my favorite genre and it's the only game in the past several years that actually felt like classic survival horror. It's not a perfect game by any means but I love it.
---
Now Playing: Resident Evil 6, Doom 3 BFG Edition
#59callitkarma13(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 6:17:44 PM
callitkarma13 posted...
Well my GOTY came out of no where as I wasn't looking forward to it or anything and didn't expect much out of it before trying it, but it has to be Planetside 2.

Reading a review on it now. I'm buying this tomorrow.

^ In the review you read, did they mention it was 'Free to play'?

It did, I'm just a moron and naturally said 'buying' haha.
---
Innuendo? More like in-HER-end-though
#60DeathofseasonsxPosted 12/5/2012 6:27:28 PM(edited)
My favorite games this year were X Com: Enemy Unknown, Far Cry 3, Xenoblade, Max Payne 3 and Tales of Graces F. FC3 is possibly my GOTY though I haven't finished it, X Com, Xenoblade and MP3 are strong contenders though.

LOL at people saying the Walking Dead isn't a "game", Adventure has been a video game Genre for a long time.
---
"Please leave the room if this will offend you"- Budd Dwyer,