Open World games are overrated...

#31StrongBlackVine(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 6:17:27 PM
Just to show I 'm not trolling I am considering trading Hitman for this mainly due the enormous gap in game length. I'll probably keep Hitman and get Far Cry 3 after a price drop though. I still have Infamous 2, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored and 12 other new games to play first.
#32ShELbY_GT500Posted 12/5/2012 6:22:07 PM
StrongBlackVine posted...
Just to show I 'm not trolling I am considering trading Hitman for this mainly due the enormous gap in game length. I'll probably keep Hitman and get Far Cry 3 after a price drop though. I still have Infamous 2, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored and 12 other new games to play first.

* Comes here to say that open world games are not be all end all

* Suggests he may trade in his linear game of an open world game

I own both Hitman and Far Cry 3. Both are great games imo.
---
Mess with the bull?...
#33DakhanavarXPosted 12/5/2012 6:29:34 PM
Yeah get more "bang for you buck", but enjoy your time wasting simulator. Linear games have better production values, graphics and more focused story. They are better unless you are just look for the cheapest way to spend your money....hence the repetitive side missions like capturing towers to open the map(stolen from AC) and hunting animals.

Um...aren't all video games "time wasting simulators"? How open the game is has nothing to do with how much of a waste it is. Games are there to entertain you. As long as it succeeds, it really doesn't matter how it's achieved. This is why we live in a world that enjoys everything from Morrowind & Just Cause 2 to Tetris, Final Fantasy XIII, and Angry Birds.

Having said that, I don't really think open world games are overrated...at all. In fact, I'd say very few things are genuinely overrated. It's usually just another case of, "I don't agree with the popular opinion, but clearly my opinion is the right one."

You enjoy the "better" production values, graphics and story found in a linear game. Others enjoy the random nature of open games or exploring the large virtual worlds. Many of us happen to like both. 'Ya know, different strokes for different folks.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#34Dr_ThroatpunchPosted 12/5/2012 6:29:36 PM
Sandbox games are as fun as you are creative. Someone who only wants to play the missions in a sandbox game won't have as much fun as someone who can think of ways to make their own fun.
#35hear_yePosted 12/5/2012 6:53:50 PM
Would've agreed pre-FC3, but this game has changed the face of the gaming industry in my opinion and should be a wake-up call to other developers; that open world games can indeed possess great stealth, puzzles, solid gunplay and smooth controls. I think FC3 will be remembered as the definitive IP of the 360/PS3 generation.

I'm already looking forward to Far Cry 4, interested to know where it will be set
#36SEA_Posted 12/5/2012 7:19:31 PM
Dr_Throatpunch posted...
Sandbox games are as fun as you are creative.

not necessarily
---
Chargers, Padres, Clippers, SDSU
#37HedorianPosted 12/5/2012 7:32:11 PM
Dr_Throatpunch posted...
Sandbox games are as fun as you are creative. Someone who only wants to play the missions in a sandbox game won't have as much fun as someone who can think of ways to make their own fun.

This
---
Gamefaqs: Where gamers are hostile towards each other
Currently playing: Psi Ops (PS2), Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
#38kevin1515Posted 12/5/2012 7:33:13 PM
D_Gryphon posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Ok.

---
Boston Bruins
#39zuzu304Posted 12/5/2012 8:03:37 PM
Just getting annoyed with people praising games because "there is so much to do" when much of that stuff is just boring filler.

this statement i can semi agree with in terms of open worlds with tons of things to do. Im not talking about Far Cry 3 specifically here....I really liked Far cry 2 so ill be picking up far cry 3 soon but anyway, the thing about open world games though is that they are advertised as a world of freedom in which you do whatever you desire to do.

Skyrim for instance is praised by many people for having a big world and so much to do but, while i do like open world games, I hated Skyrim because for all the freedom of exploring, killing in different styles, sidequests, and really anything in that game was trashy.

Combat was trashy, graphics are ok but its in a big world so that understandable, quests are monotonous and boring, animations are terrible....
the game had everything but nothing was done well. it was either ok at best or really bad.
---
GT: theplaya123
psn: rack1overload
#40BushidoEffect3Posted 12/5/2012 8:08:03 PM
Just getting annoyed with people praising games because "there is so much to do" when much of that stuff is just boring filler.

go back to replaying COD campaigns then. Repeat the same 4-5 hours with everything scripted. see how boring that gets. Enjoy the invisible walls and NPCs always blocking you and telling you to "FOLLOW". or "USE"