Open World games are overrated...

#41inblackest73Posted 12/5/2012 8:09:55 PM
Give me far cry 3 over any linear game out this year, hands down.
#42BardockpwnsjooPosted 12/5/2012 8:12:07 PM
Just gonna come right out and say it. Linear does in fact = boring. If I have to explain why, you are not worth arguing with.

This is all.
---
So, if you put an Oriental guy in a bowl, and spin it around, does he become disOriented?
#43Natethegreat77Posted 12/5/2012 8:28:11 PM(edited)
I get your argument, but most open world games are very well done. I'd rather spend more than 8 hours on a game I bought for $60.
#44ReDxVaLoOPosted 12/5/2012 8:29:16 PM
D_Gryphon posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Ok.

---
You have not experienced pain until you have gone toe-to-toe with a Spiny Lobster
#45CyhortI82Posted 12/5/2012 8:31:21 PM
I totally agree, but I do like open world games. You just never get a good story driven experience like you do in a more linear game.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#46SkytheWiz1Posted 12/5/2012 8:33:04 PM
Natethegreat77 posted...
I get your argument, but most open world games are very well done. I'd rather spend more than 8 hours on a game I bought for $60.

This.
Most linear games are very well done indeed, simply because they don't have to create as much. But I base my value on the enjoyment time; if I get 30 hours out of a good open world game, it was worth more than 6 great hours out of a linear game.

It's why, despite the numerous bugs, Bethesda's Fallout and Elder Scrolls are my all time picks for games.

I'm enjoying FC3, but I've yet to come across anything that makes me think it'll be worth a subsequent playthrough (glad I redboxed it).
---
Pretend there are awe-inspiring lyrics
or oh-so-hilarious quotations here, please.
#47sethharris1191Posted 12/5/2012 8:33:05 PM
BushidoEffect3 posted...
StrongBlackVine posted...
Just getting annoyed with people praising games because "there is so much to do" when much of that stuff is just boring filler.

go back to replaying COD campaigns then. Repeat the same 4-5 hours with everything scripted. see how boring that gets. Enjoy the invisible walls and NPCs always blocking you and telling you to "FOLLOW". or "USE"

I replay the same linear games over and over again, and I don't get bored. That said, I do enjoy some open games, as well. I do think that TC's arguments are all over the place, though. He says that side quests are boring, but lists Infamous (which is like 90% side quests) as one of the great open games. TC, get your thoughts together, type them in a coherent manner, and then delete your message instead of posting it here. Whatever insignificant point you're trying to make isn't worth anyone's time to try to decipher your half-baked excuse for a train of thought.
#48drafterowarPosted 12/5/2012 8:41:27 PM
I like open world and non linear games, but it really pisses me off how people are declaring linear games as inferior just because certain games this gen have been "corridor-esque".
---
"Are you AC or.....DC?"
#49StrongBlackVine(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 9:13:32 PM
BushidoEffect3 posted...
StrongBlackVine posted...
Just getting annoyed with people praising games because "there is so much to do" when much of that stuff is just boring filler.

go back to replaying COD campaigns then. Repeat the same 4-5 hours with everything scripted. see how boring that gets. Enjoy the invisible walls and NPCs always blocking you and telling you to "FOLLOW". or "USE"

I have never played a COD game and only played the first Halo...
#50The_Undying_84Posted 12/5/2012 9:14:41 PM
I disagree, as the production value part isn't necessarily true at all, graphics are 99.9999% irrelevant, and story's in video games aren't good enough to care about in most video games plus open world games are better suited to decision based/player controlled stories.
---
PSN: TheUndying84