Rassinfrassin' bridge-building. GUH.

#1Arctic_SunrisePosted 12/7/2012 11:17:11 AM
Just a small tip for those of you manually building bridges in the map editor. When you're constructing bridges across particularly large chasms, piece by piece, you may have noted an annoying tendency for each piece to default to the very bottom of the chasm.

To solve this, place a bridge piece in the air above the actual bridge level, then clone that piece repeatedly to create bridge parts on that level. That way, the only defaulting you get is at the other end of the bridge.
---
"I love finding threads like these, it's like walking outside and finding the city's been bombed while you were sleeping." - Blighboy
#2MakrossPosted 12/7/2012 12:48:35 PM
Good tip, I stumbled upon the clone part when working with some tunnel pieces and it made me feel much better about the tediousness of it.

Have you figured out any way to have objects snap to other objects? I have not, of course I might be living in the original Far Cry past on that one...

I still feel like it might be hidden somewhere in the editor, but then again there is so much variation in the objects, I wouldn't be surprised if it was scrapped because it didn't work well between most objects.
---
EvilKross
#3Arctic_Sunrise(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 1:12:46 PM
Makross posted...
Good tip, I stumbled upon the clone part when working with some tunnel pieces and it made me feel much better about the tediousness of it.

Have you figured out any way to have objects snap to other objects? I have not, of course I might be living in the original Far Cry past on that one...

I still feel like it might be hidden somewhere in the editor, but then again there is so much variation in the objects, I wouldn't be surprised if it was scrapped because it didn't work well between most objects.

I haven't yet. All I can find is 'drop to object.' I have to adjust manually. I would complain, but Halo: Reach had snap-to in its Forge mode and it could be annoying as hell.

A question - have you worked out how to make underground mine tunnels, yet? I can't see how to do it with the terrain.
---
"I love finding threads like these, it's like walking outside and finding the city's been bombed while you were sleeping." - Blighboy
#4MakrossPosted 12/7/2012 2:01:11 PM
Yes, I appreciate the annoyance snapping can present with certain objects and figured it had to be more trouble than it was worth for them to drop it. The clone option makes its loss less impactful though, as long as you are gentle in moving on the axis.

As far as the tunnel and underground pieces yes and no, I haven't spent too much time on the editor cause of time and such but I have been tinkering a little.

First important part is to go into the Map editor settings and turn off Snap object to ground (I think that's what its called) since you will be working with your pieces either under the map, or into a hill.

Find where you want your tunnel to start and select whatever Object you want to be your entrance and set the piece into the hill or slope...or ground as the case may be, and make sure you can see some of the ground into your entrance.

Then go to the advanced tools, get the hole tool, and use the cursor size to set your hole in the map. Now set all of your pieces one after the other underground....careful though, any spaces once you are under the map floor will be limbo space fall if you walk into it during test. Not sure what happens in that eventuality on a "completed" map as I have never gotten close to even saving my tinkering.

Then do the same if you want to have it come out the other side, or just use a big cave piece at the end or something. Also note, you will see the hole tool kind of aligns to certain grids on the ground, so some tweaking of entrance areas made need to be made to make a seamless underground entrance.

Hope that all makes sense, its definitely tedious and challenging, made even more so by the poor identification of pieces made for underground building.
---
EvilKross
#5TurboSkunkPosted 12/7/2012 2:06:40 PM
Arctic_Sunrise posted...
Makross posted...

I haven't yet. All I can find is 'drop to object.' I have to adjust manually. I would complain, but Halo: Reach had snap-to in its Forge mode and it could be annoying as hell.

A question - have you worked out how to make underground mine tunnels, yet? I can't see how to do it with the terrain.

Go to terrain, advances options, and select the hole tool. This allows you to open an ugly hole in the terrain "mesh" that you can fall through. The hole tool doesn't sculpt a solid cave, just the initial opening in the terrain.

Then use objects like rocks to make the interior of the hole solid. I haven't mastered it yet but once you get the basics it makes sense and is pretty easy to use.

Now if i could just get the pond tool to work
---
Turbo Skunk... professional custom map tester.