Skyrim vs Farcry 3 - world comparison

#21DeathEater30Posted 12/11/2012 8:28:40 PM
I'm at 14 hours and only cleared 6 areas but that's because I go get every treasure and relic and letter etc if I didn't I'd probably be done with this game already. Skyrim feels more like a real world in which every dungeon has a back story and has actually been there for hundreds of years.

Far cry 3 is fun as hell but it feels like a videogame.
#22aiwazPosted 12/11/2012 8:36:59 PM
Skyrim, no contest.
#23PuffPuffPastorPosted 12/11/2012 10:08:21 PM
DeathEater30 posted...
I'm at 14 hours and only cleared 6 areas but that's because I go get every treasure and relic and letter etc if I didn't I'd probably be done with this game already. Skyrim feels more like a real world in which every dungeon has a back story and has actually been there for hundreds of years.

Every dungeon looks exactly the same.

Same goes for a lot of Skyrims world. Its copypasta'd way, way too many times.

You could feed an entire starving African community with all of the copypasta that goes into Skyrim.

Not saying that FC3 is the king of variation, but the wildlife and all of the crazy random situations that can happen between them, me, and the pirates I feel much more like i'm on a living breathing world. Wildlife and NPC enemies in Skyrim feel like total booty compared to this.
---
Beep Beep...Sweep!
#24EverDownwardPosted 12/11/2012 10:12:35 PM

I'm not sure how to even respond.
---
At first I was like: http://i42.tinypic.com/2cid95j.gif
...But then I was like: http://i40.tinypic.com/2ildkp2.gif
#25DeverothPosted 12/11/2012 11:06:59 PM
PuffPuffPastor posted...
DeathEater30 posted...

You could feed an entire starving African community with all of the copypasta that goes into Skyrim.

Not saying that FC3 is the king of variation, but the wildlife and all of the crazy random situations that can happen between them, me, and the pirates I feel much more like i'm on a living breathing world. Wildlife and NPC enemies in Skyrim feel like total booty compared to this.

that's idiotic.
first of all some of saying skyrims dungeons look the same is patently false. that was a huge complaint with oblivion and they totally addressed it in skyrim. mines, caves, ruins, forts, ice caverns, grottos, dwemer ruins....i can go on and on. so you're wrong there.
not sure what you're talking about with skyrims world. it's composed of 7 pretty distinct areas, from tundras to swamps to icy cliffs to icy plains to pine forests...whereas far cry 3 has jungle. green green green and more green. everything is green. maybe you thought you were being cute with that "copypasta" s***, but maybe you should get your facts straight instead.
every enemy in this game runs at you and shoots, occasionally seeking cover. there are no NPCs, just non-hostile meatbags that you can shoot but aren't supposed to. skyrim is an RPG and has hundreds if not thousands of NPCs, with actual interactions far deeper than "shoot me" or "i trigger cutscenes".
skyrim isn't as deep as most older-school RPGs that i personally prefer, but even it has enemies that are deeper than FC3. enemies have weaknesses and strengths, and sometimes need to be debuffed before killing them. some are immune to some attacks. in far cry 3, every single enemy is killed via bullets from a gun. no weaknesses, no strategy, no order of attacks, just shoot.

come on guys, this is f****** stupid, comparing the two. admittedly i've been disappointed so far with FC3, and skyrim is one of my favorite games ever, but even i know not to try to compare the two in quantitative terms. they're meant to scratch very, very different itches.
---
IT'S ALL PIPES!
#26triajojo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 11:09:14 PM
He could mean it feels like you doing all those things to well play a game and have fun. Where as in Skyrim, there is lore behind every dungeon, mine, town, npc, etc.

Funny, Skyrim has a big, shallow world full of wonderful aged old lore for just about everything Farcry has a colorful, lively world with shallow lore. I haven't gotten far, but he does have a point, there hasn't been many villages or "named" npcs outside any important missions.

However, both games are still fun in their own ways.
#27DeverothPosted 12/11/2012 11:16:32 PM
triajojo posted...
He could mean it feels like you doing all those things to well play a game and have fun. Where as in Skyrim, there is lore behind every dungeon, mine, town, npc, etc.

Funny, Skyrim has a big, shallow world full of wonderful aged old lore for just about everything Farcry has a colorful, lively world with shallow lore. I haven't gotten far, but he does have a point, there hasn't been many villages or "named" npcs outside any important missions.

However, both games are still fun in their own ways.

not sure what you mean by "lively" and "shallow". far cry is a shooter so it's by nature more shallow. everyone is meant to be shot. skyrim doesn't have objectively "complex" NPC interaction, but it's FAR FAR more complex than the interactions with FC's characters.
and i dunno, but going into a town in skyrim and seeing kids running around playing tag, blacksmiths blacksmithing, people having conversations, guards patrolling, then realizing they're ALL killable, possible targets of magic, pickpocketable...that's more "lively" than anything in far cry.
yes, it is more colorful in that there is greater color saturation. that is inarguable, but i don't see why thats relevant. if you like brighter colors, then fine i guess, but i don't have a preference either way.
---
IT'S ALL PIPES!
#28Wreck_ChordsPosted 12/11/2012 11:21:00 PM
Deveroth posted...
PuffPuffPastor posted...
DeathEater30 posted...

that's idiotic.
first of all some of saying skyrims dungeons look the same is patently false. that was a huge complaint with oblivion and they totally addressed it in skyrim. mines, caves, ruins, forts, ice caverns, grottos, dwemer ruins....i can go on and on. so you're wrong there.
not sure what you're talking about with skyrims world. it's composed of 7 pretty distinct areas, from tundras to swamps to icy cliffs to icy plains to pine forests...whereas far cry 3 has jungle. green green green and more green. everything is green. maybe you thought you were being cute with that "copypasta" s***, but maybe you should get your facts straight instead.
every enemy in this game runs at you and shoots, occasionally seeking cover. there are no NPCs, just non-hostile meatbags that you can shoot but aren't supposed to. skyrim is an RPG and has hundreds if not thousands of NPCs, with actual interactions far deeper than "shoot me" or "i trigger cutscenes".
skyrim isn't as deep as most older-school RPGs that i personally prefer, but even it has enemies that are deeper than FC3. enemies have weaknesses and strengths, and sometimes need to be debuffed before killing them. some are immune to some attacks. in far cry 3, every single enemy is killed via bullets from a gun. no weaknesses, no strategy, no order of attacks, just shoot.

come on guys, this is f****** stupid, comparing the two. admittedly i've been disappointed so far with FC3, and skyrim is one of my favorite games ever, but even i know not to try to compare the two in quantitative terms. they're meant to scratch very, very different itches.

This. I'm not defending Skyrim in this topic, but your comment was straight up wrong. Like the guy I quoted said, that was one of the major complaints about Oblivion, so they went and did very dungeon by hand, nothing is randomly generated. Sure they had the some of the same styles, but they were all varied. Geez, I haven't seen such a blatantly wrong statement like that on Gfaqs in a good while.
---
GamerTag: Sic DieshinZ
#29zack12369Posted 12/12/2012 12:45:52 AM
Fc3.. Die hard tes fanboy but skyrim angers me with its enormous mountain range you have to travel 15 minutes to get to the top.
---
gt : z a c k t k.
<insert witty sig here>
#30DeverothPosted 12/12/2012 1:39:02 AM
zack12369 posted...
Fc3.. Die hard tes fanboy but skyrim angers me with its enormous mountain range you have to travel 15 minutes to get to the top.

man, you'd HATE mountains in real life.
---
IT'S ALL PIPES!