If the main character was female

#21rockyoumonkeysPosted 12/29/2012 9:04:54 PM
RyanJMcD posted...
ghstbstr posted...
Playing as a girl character ruins the game or I should say ruins the feel of the game for me.
I am a guy and I play as a guy because it feels more like it relates to me or I am there doing what the character is doing.

I pick a girl every time I can. If I've gotta stare at an ass, I rather not be ashamed if I get turned on by it. (Stupid sexy Shepard). Plus video games are an escape from reality. Everyone knows any guy could kick ass. That's why we have imaginary worlds where women actualy successfully fight men.

Absolutely agreed. People are always going to say "oh my god, what's attractive about a bunch of pixels", but the fact remains that a nice animated female ass is still nicer to look at than an animated male ass. We aren't having sex with the game here.

And I guess I just don't understand the whole "I'm pretending I'm in the game" thing, especially in games where the character has a name, a story, and spoken dialogue. I can't decide if that's a sign of too much imagination, or too little.

Finally, I've found that a lot of times, a badass female just makes the story better. Saints Row 2&3 and Mass Effect are great examples. I wish we got that option way more often in games.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: In The Garden of Iden, K. Baker
#22homsarrunner3Posted 12/29/2012 9:28:58 PM
I'm legitimately surprised by the amount of sexism here.
---
"Louis, if you don't stop being positive, I'm going to sink the boat just to make you sad." -Francis, Left 4 Dead
#23CreepyEPosted 12/29/2012 11:31:02 PM
When there's no dialogue or cutscenes and I'm just exploring in game, I can get lost in the character and feel like it's an extension of myself. But as far as not being able to identify with characters, it helps to speed up identifying with the character if he is also male, and Caucasian I'm sure on some level. But Jason Brody is so different from me he might as well be a woman, another ethnicity, and nationality. How many of us are millionaire playboys or battle hardened space marines? I don't have a problem with playing as any type of character because I like to explore the in game world through their eyes and try to understand their perspective. Videogames are a lot like derridean deconstruction in that you get to experience many different events through different viewpoints, in some games you even get to experience the same set of events through different and sometimes directly opposing viewpoints. That's part of what makes it such an effective story telling format.
#24LLink2411Posted 12/29/2012 11:46:37 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
RyanJMcD posted...
ghstbstr posted...
Playing as a girl character ruins the game or I should say ruins the feel of the game for me.
I am a guy and I play as a guy because it feels more like it relates to me or I am there doing what the character is doing.

I pick a girl every time I can. If I've gotta stare at an ass, I rather not be ashamed if I get turned on by it. (Stupid sexy Shepard). Plus video games are an escape from reality. Everyone knows any guy could kick ass. That's why we have imaginary worlds where women actualy successfully fight men.

Absolutely agreed. People are always going to say "oh my god, what's attractive about a bunch of pixels", but the fact remains that a nice animated female ass is still nicer to look at than an animated male ass. We aren't having sex with the game here.

And I guess I just don't understand the whole "I'm pretending I'm in the game" thing, especially in games where the character has a name, a story, and spoken dialogue. I can't decide if that's a sign of too much imagination, or too little.

Finally, I've found that a lot of times, a badass female just makes the story better. Saints Row 2&3 and Mass Effect are great examples. I wish we got that option way more often in games.

I've been playing games for over twenty years and I really doubt I even once stared at my character's ass. Normally the action goes on in the top half of the screen broseph. If you're looking there, you're doing it on purpose.

And becoming the character in your mind is how one gets into a game and cares about it. It is not a sign of "too much" imagination, and it is pathetic for you to think it implies "too little" imagination.

People like you... I don't know what to say. But there are way too many of you.
---
This is the internet, we have millions of people taking out their problems, inadequacies, and hang-ups on others anonymously... like a digitized stress-ball.
#25GrandMastaFlunkPosted 12/30/2012 12:05:45 AM
"And becoming the character in your mind is how one gets into a game and cares about it. It is not a sign of "too much" imagination, and it is pathetic for you to think it implies "too little" imagination."

So you're saying you wouldn't be able to feel any empathy or any emotions one normally associates with relating to a character... if that character isn't a male. Wow. Really?
---
"We all need friends, mister. We die alone, but we live among men." -John Marston
#26Marley237Posted 12/30/2012 1:39:45 AM
A female protagonist probably wouldn't even have escaped the camp at the beginning of the game.
---
'The surgeon performed a surgical exploration and saw that the mans injuries were incompatible with life.' ....O_o
#27D_GryphonPosted 12/30/2012 2:08:51 AM
Marley237 posted...
A female protagonist probably wouldn't even have escaped the camp at the beginning of the game.

That's completely up to the writers.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makswxJyQk1qg4blro1_500.gif
#28Oni SeraphPosted 12/30/2012 2:14:14 AM
Marley237 posted...

Considering how you escape I'm pretty sure as long as it isn't a mute/armless/legless female she'd be completely qualified to escape.
---
Oni Seraph: Be humble on your path.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself. Trust yourself, always.
#29D_GryphonPosted 12/30/2012 2:16:04 AM
Oni Seraph posted...
Marley237 posted...

Considering how you escape I'm pretty sure as long as it isn't a mute/armless/legless female she'd be completely qualified to escape.

B-b-but gurls can't do stuff.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makswxJyQk1qg4blro1_500.gif
#30Oni SeraphPosted 12/30/2012 2:36:15 AM(edited)
I know right?

But in all seriousness Samus and Motoko Kusanagi are more badass than the vast majority of male characters. Girls do just fine in fiction they just don't sell so good on average.
---
Oni Seraph: Be humble on your path.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself. Trust yourself, always.