Why is everyone so afraid of sharks and crocs?

#21AlabamaLovePosted 1/3/2013 9:03:10 PM
When sharks become drivable vehicles that are completely controllable in most situations, then you can compare them to cars.
Until then, please don't.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibkJH8lsZk8KqO.gif http://i.minus.com/iqW1ec1hPF0jU.gif
#22BrokenTuskPosted 1/3/2013 9:09:59 PM
AlabamaLove posted...
When sharks become drivable vehicles that are completely controllable in most situations, then you can compare them to cars.
Until then, please don't.

Damn it! Now i want a Sharkmobile.

and to answer TC original question as fellow board member sad "Sharks are pretty bad, but Crocs be all like, "SURPRISE, MUTHAF--KA!""
---
HK-47: Can I break his neck now master? It's been a long time fantasy of mine. You: Maybe later..
HK-47: Did you hear that meatbag? "I'LL BE BACK!"
#23BTBAMalaskaPosted 1/3/2013 9:11:21 PM
Ace81892 posted...
VileFiddle posted...
Ace81892 posted...
They have the potential to do a great deal of harm, but not the motivation. If you are going to be afraid of everything that can possibly hurt you then enjoy not going outside. It just boggles my mind that people can get in cars every day without a second though, but then crap their pants at the sight of a shark.

Last time I checked, cars aren't giant fish with razor sharp teeth.

It's irrational of you to criticize people's fears and assume they're terrified of anything that can hurt them. Fear of sharks is incredibly common, I don't fear them myself but if they suddenly went extinct (and don't give any stupid hippie garbage about the ecosystem) I would not bat an eye.

Sharks can have plenty of motivation to attack people.

A car is a hell of a lot more likely to kill you than a shark, and the both have about the same amount of malice. Just because a fear is common, does not make it justified. They don't have "plenty" of motivation to attack people. The majority of shark attacks are simply because the shark mistakes the human for prey (which humans are not natural prey for sharks due tot he fact that we don't live in the water). Also if sharks (or any other species) suddenly went completely extinct, there would be an impact that you would definitely feel. The balance of nature is more fragile than you may think, that's not "stupid hippie garbage" as you so ignorantly dismissed it as, or did you skip that class in grade school where they teach you about the food chain?

It doesn't make sense to me why you're being a douche about OTHER people's personal problems. "Oh I'm tired of reading about it". Then don't read it and quit trying to rationalize a psychological problem. You're not making yourself look smart so quit.
---
GT- BeastyAss
if a dude put a presidents mask on, run up in the bank with a mac saying gimme gimme...I aint glad at him, but I aint mad at him...
#24DeathMagnetic80Posted 1/4/2013 2:50:49 AM
Well... crocs have a tendency to just surprise your ass when you jump in water and startle you. Sharks, it just makes me weary because if I'm diving for a relic, my only option is to outswim the thing.
---
RIP A7X71180 4/14/2006-12/24/2011
2012 San Diego Chargers 7-9
#25WhitbanePosted 1/4/2013 5:08:20 AM
They make me clench my butthole at an unbearable level of butthole clenching.
#26BigBee2005Posted 1/4/2013 5:56:47 AM
Ace81892 posted...
VileFiddle posted...
Ace81892 posted...
They have the potential to do a great deal of harm, but not the motivation. If you are going to be afraid of everything that can possibly hurt you then enjoy not going outside. It just boggles my mind that people can get in cars every day without a second though, but then crap their pants at the sight of a shark.

It's irrational of you to criticize people's fears and assume they're terrified of anything that can hurt them. Fear of sharks is incredibly common, I don't fear them myself but if they suddenly went extinct (and don't give any stupid hippie garbage about the ecosystem) I would not bat an eye.

A car is a hell of a lot more likely to kill you than a shark, and the both have about the same amount of malice. Just because a fear is common, does not make it justified. They don't have "plenty" of motivation to attack people. The majority of shark attacks are simply because the shark mistakes the human for prey (which humans are not natural prey for sharks due tot he fact that we don't live in the water). Also if sharks (or any other species) suddenly went completely extinct, there would be an impact that you would definitely feel. The balance of nature is more fragile than you may think, that's not "stupid hippie garbage" as you so ignorantly dismissed it as, or did you skip that class in grade school where they teach you about the food chain?

Totally agree with Ace on this. The other guys comment regarding he 'wouldn't bat an eye' if sharks became extinct is precisely why we as humans are doomed as a species. I mean, if folk can't 'get' the importance in the food chain of ANY animal we really are in trouble.

It amuses me too that nobody seems to see any danger in driving along the road at say 70mph yet the chances of anything untoward happening at such times is hugely greater than ever having any kind of encounter with a shark.

The rate at which shark fin soup is being consumed by our friends out in the far east it may not be too long before Vile (great name BTW) gets his wish anyway and that will be a catastrophe on a grand scale.

Ignorance is indeed bliss.
---
XBL Headwind PSN Headwindz
#27o5pr3yPosted 1/4/2013 6:21:58 AM
Sharks are no more scary than spiders or snakes, but tons of people have an irrational fear of them as well.

I love sharks in real life. I find them mesmerizing. But the way they slink silently through the murky waters towards their prey has a very eerie feeling which I can't help but think of as I play Farcry. Until I was actually attacked by a shark in the game, the suspence of a possible shark attack was pretty damn unnerving.
---
GT: Ninja Gunpants
#28SoulAssassinnnPosted 1/4/2013 6:33:41 AM
Scuba diver here ... have spent many hours under the ocean with many species of sharks. They are friendly, curious animals but you guys have been watching too much Jaws.

Some of my dives have been with 50-75 sharks (google Cocos Island) ... they are some of the most beautiful creatures on the planet.
#29BigBee2005Posted 1/4/2013 6:45:58 AM
o5pr3y posted...
Sharks are no more scary than spiders or snakes, but tons of people have an irrational fear of them as well.

I love sharks in real life. I find them mesmerizing. But the way they slink silently through the murky waters towards their prey has a very eerie feeling which I can't help but think of as I play Farcry. Until I was actually attacked by a shark in the game, the suspence of a possible shark attack was pretty damn unnerving.

I'm with you on that one! There's some treasure I want to get that is within a wreck in shark infested waters which I tried to obtain the other day but got attacked by a couple! It didn't really help that I couldn't immediately figure out which part of the wreck the treasure was located either so I was bumbling about a bit.

I have since upgraded my swimming ability so hopefully when I have another go it may be a little easier the second time round :-)
---
XBL Headwind PSN Headwindz
#30cazashawPosted 1/4/2013 8:41:12 AM
Ace81892 posted...
VileFiddle posted...
Ace81892 posted...

So if you got the choice to stand in a car park with a car or swim in a shark tank with a Great White, you'll have no problem choosing the shark tank? After all they have just about the same amount of malice.
---
Not Changing Sig Until Tiger Woods Wins 18 Majors...
GT: Cazmatrolium