Why is everyone so afraid of sharks and crocs?

#31A_Hairy_WafflePosted 1/4/2013 8:49:09 AM
Sharks don't really scare me when I'm at the ocean. I'm too busy worrying about freaking squids.
#32DarkManX2004Posted 1/4/2013 8:59:17 AM
I've seen pics of shark fins drying on warehouse roofs that would dwarf a football stadium. If the far eastern countries (more and more western countries also) carry on consuming Shark fins, most species will be extinct by 2017 iirc.

They don't even use the whole shark, they take off the fins and throw back the shark. The Shark is then killed by other predators or dies because it can no longer maintain stability in the water, meaning they can't hunt for food.

Shark fin soup is seen as a status symbol in Japan and China, it's not like they're eating it because it's a necessity. They just want to look pump to there friends.
---
GT/PSN = Makavelian87
#33roperpokerPosted 1/4/2013 9:04:44 AM
DarkManX2004 posted...
I've seen pics of shark fins drying on warehouse roofs that would dwarf a football stadium. If the far eastern countries (more and more western countries also) carry on consuming Shark fins, most species will be extinct by 2017 iirc.

They don't even use the whole shark, they take off the fins and throw back the shark. The Shark is then killed by other predators or dies because it can no longer maintain stability in the water, meaning they can't hunt for food.

Shark fin soup is seen as a status symbol in Japan and China, it's not like they're eating it because it's a necessity. They just want to look pump to there friends.

Could ypu possibly link us to the pictures pal? Sounds awesome, the fin part i mean.
---
The only time MacMillan was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake. - ( ')
ARTE ET LABORE
#34califortunefadePosted 1/4/2013 3:05:42 PM
Being from a place where both are extremely common (not crocs, but gators), I don't really fear either. The really scary things in the water are barracuda and jellyfish. Those things hurt more people than both gators and sharks combined, you just don't hear about them.

A cuda can take a body part off if you have anything shiny near you, and jellyfish are damn near invisible until you feel pain.
---
The moon is glued to a picture of heaven
and all the little pigs have God.
#35bman52480Posted 1/4/2013 3:24:27 PM
Malcyon posted...
Because I have a legitimate fear of sharks and crocs/alligators.

Sharks are the reason why I refuse to step foot in the ocean, and both are a partial reason why I will never go to Australia.

A fear of sharks is not a "legitimate" fear, it is totally irrational. Far more people die in the U.S. alone from bee stings, car accidents, lightning strikes, and falling in the shower than worldwide shark attacks despite the millions and millions of people that swim in the ocean ever year.

So you won't go in the ocean, yet you probably take a shower, go outside when bees are out, ride in/drive a car, and have been outside during a storm.

Legitimate?
---
"The Miss Universe Pageant is fixed, the winners are always from Earth."
#36bman52480Posted 1/4/2013 3:27:27 PM
chaos_belmont posted...
For some of us it's a much deeper problem, a phobia.

A phobia is defined in the most recent DSM (a manual used by psychologists to diagnose mental disorders) as "an unreasonable, unjustifiable, or irrational fear of a particular person, place, or thing."
---
"The Miss Universe Pageant is fixed, the winners are always from Earth."
#37TooFlyForAWifiPosted 1/4/2013 3:50:56 PM
bman52480 posted...
chaos_belmont posted...
For some of us it's a much deeper problem, a phobia.

A phobia is defined in the most recent DSM (a manual used by psychologists to diagnose mental disorders) as "an unreasonable, unjustifiable, or irrational fear of a particular person, place, or thing."

Technically, anything can become a phobia by finding the Latin name for it, and adding phobia.
#38BardockpwnsjooPosted 1/4/2013 4:13:47 PM
What's the latin term for asswipe? I'd like to stick phobia on the end of that and use it as an excuse to avoid contact with some of the people in this topic.
---
So, if you put an Oriental guy in a bowl, and spin it around, does he become disOriented?
#39ChamillionLivePosted 1/4/2013 5:17:38 PM
AlabamaLove posted...
When sharks become drivable vehicles that are completely controllable in most situations, then you can compare them to cars.
Until then, please don't.

SHARK CAR! Oo-oo-ooh, oooh-wee-oooh, ooh-oo-oooh ooh-wee-oooh SHARK CAR! *cookie for anyone that gets the reference*
---
"I ain't that dude that'd be braggin about how I'm spendin bucks/
One, I ain't rich and two, most of them tend to suck" -Dee-1
#40gfhjfnvfuiPosted 1/4/2013 8:23:51 PM
bman52480 posted...
Malcyon posted...
Because I have a legitimate fear of sharks and crocs/alligators.

Sharks are the reason why I refuse to step foot in the ocean, and both are a partial reason why I will never go to Australia.

A fear of sharks is not a "legitimate" fear, it is totally irrational. Far more people die in the U.S. alone from bee stings, car accidents, lightning strikes, and falling in the shower than worldwide shark attacks despite the millions and millions of people that swim in the ocean ever year.

So you won't go in the ocean, yet you probably take a shower, go outside when bees are out, ride in/drive a car, and have been outside during a storm.

Legitimate?

Being stung by a bee is much less likely to kill an average person than a shark. The only reason those things kill more people are because more people take part in them.

In chances of survival, a bee sting or car crash is much less dangerous.

Then of course, is the fact that this is in water, and you can hardly see anything, nor can you even attack.
---
But... but... Gingrich wants to give us a moon base. A MOON BASE! The_Altrox