Why is everyone so afraid of sharks and crocs?

#41jamesflames82Posted 1/5/2013 9:44:50 AM
This topis is ridiculous. Look, I don't care how many dives someone has done, or what kinds of stats you give someone about the small amount of shark attacks that take place yearly.

Just show someone a good look at a shark, w/ it's smooth movement through the water, how fast it swims, and that huge mouth w/ all those teeth. Now, tell that same person to get into a pool w/ that same animal. Out of 100 people, you'll probably get 5 that will do it.

Sure, a car may kill more people, but it doesn't LOOK like a killing machine.
---
Gamertag: Calvin AG
#42Charging_ZebraPosted 1/5/2013 11:20:57 AM
http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=727&q=great+white+shark&oq=great+white+shark&gs_l=img.3..0l10.206.1547.0.1655.17.13.0.0.0.0.165.1175.8j5.13.0.epsugrpq1high..0.0...1.1.4gxSWw6F40w

Because they're f*cking scary.
#43Spartan2447Posted 1/5/2013 1:17:02 PM
DarkManX2004 posted...
I've seen pics of shark fins drying on warehouse roofs that would dwarf a football stadium. If the far eastern countries (more and more western countries also) carry on consuming Shark fins, most species will be extinct by 2017 iirc.

They don't even use the whole shark, they take off the fins and throw back the shark. The Shark is then killed by other predators or dies because it can no longer maintain stability in the water, meaning they can't hunt for food.

Shark fin soup is seen as a status symbol in Japan and China, it's not like they're eating it because it's a necessity. They just want to look pump to there friends.

2017 - The Year Without Shark Week

No....I will never let this happen.....
#44ninjaman148Posted 1/5/2013 1:41:40 PM(edited)
I live in Miami and have gone biking in the Everglades with tons of alligators snoozing on the side of the trails like lazy lumps, so I'm not too bothered by them.

But in this game, wading through a jungle river is intimidating when you have them lying just underneath the surface of the water. You've gotta stop and check the water or they'll get ya.

As for sharks, I don't really find them scary. I actually find them really cool. Especially tiger sharks with those camo stripes on their sides, hell yeah.
---
Yo Buddy, Still Alive?
Rest In Peace - Our Beloved Dog Lukas (07-31-12) - Someday, We'll Meet Again On Rainbow Bridge
#45bman52480Posted 1/6/2013 1:02:38 PM(edited)
gfhjfnvfui posted...
bman52480 posted...
Malcyon posted...
Because I have a legitimate fear of sharks and crocs/alligators.

Sharks are the reason why I refuse to step foot in the ocean, and both are a partial reason why I will never go to Australia.

A fear of sharks is not a "legitimate" fear, it is totally irrational. Far more people die in the U.S. alone from bee stings, car accidents, lightning strikes, and falling in the shower than worldwide shark attacks despite the millions and millions of people that swim in the ocean ever year.

So you won't go in the ocean, yet you probably take a shower, go outside when bees are out, ride in/drive a car, and have been outside during a storm.

Legitimate?

Being stung by a bee is much less likely to kill an average person than a shark. The only reason those things kill more people are because more people take part in them.

In chances of survival, a bee sting or car crash is much less dangerous.

Then of course, is the fact that this is in water, and you can hardly see anything, nor can you even attack.

Do you have any idea how many people go in the ocean ever year? According to http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/es/papers/Coastal_Zone_Pop_Method.pdf 40% of the worlds population lives within 100km of a coastline.

Sharks are not more lethal than bees as the shark usually lets go because they don't like how we taste.

Have you ever been to Miami in the summer? There are literally millions of separate trips into the ocean each year by humans, and single digit shark attacks. According to http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm 1 in 10,000 people will get struck my lightning in their lives, do you think one in 10,000 gets eaten by a shark?

Sharks are awesome. They play a critical role in the food chain, and are majestic creatures. It is precisely this irrational fear of them that is leading to their extinction. "lets save dolphins, they are so cute!!!! Oh the sharks getting finned over there? F--- them they are scary"
---
"The Miss Universe Pageant is fixed, the winners are always from Earth."
#46Ace81892(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2013 1:08:07 PM
bman52480 posted...
gfhjfnvfui posted...
bman52480 posted...
Malcyon posted...

Sharks are the reason why I refuse to step foot in the ocean, and both are a partial reason why I will never go to Australia.

A fear of sharks is not a "legitimate" fear, it is totally irrational. Far more people die in the U.S. alone from bee stings, car accidents, lightning strikes, and falling in the shower than worldwide shark attacks despite the millions and millions of people that swim in the ocean ever year.

So you won't go in the ocean, yet you probably take a shower, go outside when bees are out, ride in/drive a car, and have been outside during a storm.

Legitimate?

Being stung by a bee is much less likely to kill an average person than a shark. The only reason those things kill more people are because more people take part in them.

Then of course, is the fact that this is in water, and you can hardly see anything, nor can you even attack.

Do you have any idea how many people go in the ocean ever year? According to http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/es/papers/Coastal_Zone_Pop_Method.pdf 40% of the worlds population lives within 100km of a coastline.

Sharks are not more lethal than bees as the shark usually lets go because they don't like how we taste.

Have you ever been to Miami in the summer? There are literally millions of separate trips into the ocean each year by humans, and single digit shark attacks. According to http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm 1 in 10,000 people will get struck my lightning in their lives, do you think one in 10,000 gets eaten by a shark?

Sharks are awesome. They play a critical role in the food chain, and are majestic creatures. It is precisely this irrational fear of them that is leading to their extinction. "lets save dolphins, they are so cute!!!! Oh the sharks getting finned over there? F--- them they are scary"

Wish I could upvote on GFAQs. Sharks really are a victim of the way they are portrayed in the media. **** Jaws. **** every Bond villain with a shark tank. It's just sad that so many people actually believe that they are as dangerous as these movies make them out to be. Seriously, Spielberg is an a-hole for what he has done to these creatures.
---
"THIS ISN'T STRAWBERRY! IT'S RAWBERRY!" -ChoZo
GT: VaultDweller01
#47ShmoikenPosted 1/6/2013 3:00:36 PM
tabby3 posted...
Malcyon posted...

Lord help you when you learn some sharks can survive in fresh water.

A DOOZY of a shark is included in that bunch btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRFPHL9Ekk

Bull sharks don't give a s#!%.
Enjoy your nightmares.
#48Ephidel88Posted 1/6/2013 3:10:18 PM
bman52480 posted...
gfhjfnvfui posted...
bman52480 posted...
Malcyon posted...

Legitimate?

Okay, there are some logic problems here though. Sharks are ocean creatures. They don't live on the beaches. They live in open water, and happen to go around beaches sometimes. Sure, millions of people go to beaches and such every year, but how many go for a swim in open water with no land in sight? I know there haven't been many Giant Squid deaths historically either, but would you go swimming with them because of the statistics?

I am not afraid of sharks, as humans aren't standard fare for them, but if one is hungry enough, I'm a meal. Plain and simple.
---
I am the rocks of the eternal shore...crash against me and be broken!
GT: Deadly Mantodea
#49lilklawPosted 1/6/2013 3:43:32 PM
cuz you cantd o anything to them, if ur underwater you just see a freaking shark swimmin at you and starts circling you, freaks you out. buy yeah, nothing beats the cougars from Red Dead Redemption.
---
You say insanity, I say intelligence.
I'll start being nicer when you start being smarter.
#50FatalX7Posted 1/6/2013 4:20:45 PM
Media portrays sharks as dangerous, scary monsters. This adds fear.

But, they can attack humans, like any animal. That very possibility is what strikes more fear into people. And I feel the need to mention it, but sharks don't exactly look like fluffy little puppies. More fear.

Then you have to add in the open water itself. The thought of being in a large body of water, being unsure of what is around you, not seeing what's under you, and the loss of mobility and control, can add more fear, even paranoia.

An irrational fear is a fear without basis, where the fear is usually disproportional to the amount of danger that is actually posed.

Sharks, and the open water itself, can be very dangerous, especially if nature is being a little finicky.