Why is everyone so afraid of sharks and crocs?

#61Burn-the-lightPosted 1/7/2013 8:08:32 AM
ITT - Some people have a phobia of sharks but I can't accept that because I think they're cool and want to bum them silly.

If you let your life be ruled by irrational phobias then yeah that's silly but in this game you can be out in the ocean, unable to see what's beneath you whilst being chomped on by sharks. Is it really that difficult to understand why people freak out?
---
We walk toward desire, hand in hand through fields of fire, with only love to light the way, on the road to judgement day.
DD Pawn: Ishzark, Warrior vocation.
#62squiggy9996999Posted 1/7/2013 8:24:40 AM
"but this doesn't somehow make a fear of a large powerful animal that lives in a completely foreign medium to you irrational."

right, but your fear of sharks comes from watching jaws and other $#!&&$ tv shows that do a disservice. sharks are not a legit danger to humans, they only bite when a surfer looks like a seal or extreme conditions. sharks are being wiped out but nobody wants to save them because of a fear that is not based on reality. we are not their food, we only imagine we are because we like to be scared and tv uses that to get ratings.

FACT: there are more people killed by vending machines than sharks every year in the U.S. alone. i would guess frides too. considering how many thousands of people swim every day and maybe 3-4 die in an entire year on average. it IS irrational to fear sharks because the odds of being bit by one is probably around the same as winning millions of dollars in a lotto.

it would actually be more logical to live in fear of coke machines and midnite snacks. actually you guys being afraid of sharks are no different than someone saying "i fear fridges".
#63saintsfanPosted 1/7/2013 8:30:40 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
"but this doesn't somehow make a fear of a large powerful animal that lives in a completely foreign medium to you irrational."

right, but your fear of sharks comes from watching jaws and other $#!&&$ tv shows that do a disservice. sharks are not a legit danger to humans, they only bite when a surfer looks like a seal or extreme conditions. sharks are being wiped out but nobody wants to save them because of a fear that is not based on reality. we are not their food, we only imagine we are because we like to be scared and tv uses that to get ratings.

FACT: there are more people killed by vending machines than sharks every year in the U.S. alone. i would guess frides too. considering how many thousands of people swim every day and maybe 3-4 die in an entire year on average. it IS irrational to fear sharks because the odds of being bit by one is probably around the same as winning millions of dollars in a lotto.

it would actually be more logical to live in fear of coke machines and midnite snacks. actually you guys being afraid of sharks are no different than someone saying "i fear fridges".

Again, the fear comes from the knowledge that if a shark decides to attack there's nothing I can do about it. There's nothing irrational about that. And yes, many things will kill more than sharks...because billions of people come into contact with vending machines every year. If billions of people came into contact with bull sharks or great whites there'd be far far more attacks.

Dogs kill more than sharks as well. Again, because billions come into contact with them.

It's not irrational. Your argument is poorly constructed and invalid. That's just the truth of it.
#64squiggy9996999Posted 1/7/2013 9:31:29 AM
^the fact that you fear something that is irrelevant to your life is the illogical part. do you spend time being afraid of guillotines? i'd bet no, but they are just as valid a threat to your life as sharks. firing squads too. are you afraid of death by firing squad?
#65lv54spacemonkeyPosted 1/7/2013 10:14:41 AM
The first croc that got me scared the crap out of me. Did not see it there or realise it was in the game. I had just killed a goat that was by the water. Was mid way through skinning it when suddenly I'm being dragged under the water. Sharks I tend to deal with by waiting for them to surface and running over them in my boat.
---
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/lvl54spacemonkey/Tink.gif Le 360 generale. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000325-xbox-360-general-social
#66frogbongPosted 1/7/2013 10:45:41 AM
people are afraid of two apex predators? They evolved to top of their food chains, environments where we are way out of our element. They aren't malicious, but being afraid of something that can easily overpower you and eat you isn't that crazy.

However, in game, sharks are more or less a push over, only dangerous in accident situations.. and crocs just surprise people
---
Psn- XBurningAngelX 360- XIAce0fSpadesIX
#67LandfillAOPosted 1/7/2013 11:28:46 AM
This thread was an entertaining read. It was basically a save the sharks lobby.

Am I afraid of sharks? Yes. Is it so intense that I won't go swimming at any beaches? No. It's not a huge fear of mine but let me make something perfectly clear, if I'm deep at sea without a boat, I am scared out of my effing mind, period. Whether it's of sharks or other sea predators It is an element which no human can hope to compete with any of them.

That is the fear people have I think more so than anything. If you asked people if they'd rather be in a jungle and come across an angry cat or in the middle of the ocean and come across a great white, most people would probably opt for the big cat simply because it's on land and they'd have a better chance of defending themselves. A shark doesn't even need to kill you intentionally in could just as easily pull you down and drown you.

And lol @ comparing a car to a shark. I'm in a car every day. I've never seen a wild shark (read: not in an aquarium) in my life and I live in a major coastal city. Most people will never come across a shark in the ocean so how likely is it there will be more shark attacks than car accidents? Even more so, how many people actually go out to deep enough water where it's not a rare occurance for a shark to be?

Also, sharks dying off would be horrible for the sea environment and that's not some hippie BS. You're seriously suggesting that the biggest predator in the sea (other than killer whales I think) dying off would have no effect on the ocean? lol.

Just needed to address some thing.
#68rk_711Posted 1/7/2013 11:44:27 AM
Could someone explain how the sharks have a deep impact on our environment? I've been running this idea through a few times, and if sharks where to disappear I don't believe there would be any impact to us at all.

There would be at most a tiny spike in fish population but it would quickly level out with other predators expanding due to the lack of competition that sharks imposed.

There is nothing vital to human nature with sharks, I think you have all been watching to much discovery channel.
---
Tom Brady
#69rk_711Posted 1/7/2013 12:48:19 PM
Son, you are misinformed.

1) Most sharks are coastal. If you live in a major coastal city, then chances are that you've been within 10 meters of a shark and just didn't know it. They live their because that's where the food is.

2) Sharks are not close to being the biggest predator in the ocean. Dolphins, all whales that eat fish, (which is a large number) and rays are larger than sharks. And just because a large predator disappears doesn't mean that fish population will skyrocket. Other species will spread out the fish so it will not existent.

3) People die in car accidents at an alarming rate. Everyone comes in contact with cars though. But most people also live on the coast, so chances are most of them have been close to a shark at somepoint. Hundreds of thousands die a day from cars, but their were less than shark attacks last year.

4) Sharks can live in shallow water, a depth of 5 feet is quite enough room them. In fact most tend to stay at that range.
---
Tom Brady
#70hitman826Posted 1/7/2013 2:50:05 PM
Ace81892 posted...
Malcyon posted...
Because I have a legitimate fear of sharks and crocs/alligators.

Sharks are the reason why I refuse to step foot in the ocean, and both are a partial reason why I will never go to Australia.

Well yeah it makes sense to be afraid of a real croc, I live in Florida and I've seen a croc put a dent in a car with it's tail. Sharks really are an irrational fear though. They almost never attack humans. However, in game they are pushovers and can't really do a hell of a lot.

It'd be a alligator in Florida...
---
It's space magic. We don't have to explain ****.
-- Bioware