So, about the Pirates and Privateers (SPOILERS INSIDE)

#1Ephidel88Posted 1/8/2013 5:18:41 PM
Vaas and his pirates work for Hoyt. Hoyt's personal army are the privateers. Sooo...why do the pirates continue to attack you when you're disguised as a privateer, and why is there a pirate attack on Privateer drug fields?

My assumption for the pirates attacking was so there was no storyline point where Jason had to fight Rakyat, but it still doesn't make sense. Or did Vaas' death mark the end of their working for Hoyt?
---
I am the rocks of the eternal shore...crash against me and be broken!
GT: Deadly Mantodea
#2lunarswordPosted 1/8/2013 5:21:03 PM
It's pretty much the basis behind the privateer telling you about it being a "buffet" now. Yeah, Vaas was the main reason the pirates stayed under Hoyt's indirect control. Also...they're just plain crazies that do what they want and doesn't afraid of anything.
---
"This is all me. This is ALL ME!"
Video play throughs at - http://www.youtube.com/user/DreadArkive
#3eratas123Posted 1/8/2013 5:21:27 PM
They never say why they planned to burn the drug fields. Perhaps they had a change of heart? My take is that Hoyt ****ed them over after Vaas died and they're doing it for revenge.

Also, they seem to recognize Jason from appearance alone. Many of them will yell out "Snow White!" or "It's Jason Brody!" when they see you during the mission.
#4weapon_d00d816Posted 1/8/2013 8:11:14 PM
This isn't totally related, but aren't "pirate" and "privateer" synonymous? I'd say the privateers are more like mercs.
---
p + w > 9000, where p is the power level and w is what the scouter said about it.
#5FatalX7Posted 1/8/2013 8:27:50 PM
weapon_d00d816 posted...
This isn't totally related, but aren't "pirate" and "privateer" synonymous? I'd say the privateers are more like mercs.

The distinction between the two isn't much, they pretty much do the same thing, but privateers are more...official, authorized by a government or something.
#6eratas123Posted 1/9/2013 1:00:21 AM
FatalX7 posted...
weapon_d00d816 posted...

The distinction between the two isn't much, they pretty much do the same thing, but privateers are more...official, authorized by a government or something.

In no way are they authorized by any kind of government. PMC's jsut do their own thing and the government retaliates if they attack against its interests. The Privateer's are simply more professional pirates.