Games being attacked for racism and killing children.

#1rk_711Posted 1/22/2013 11:57:15 PM
I never exactly understood games being attacked so heavily for this. I know in GTA: SA they were criticized for being racist against blacks for one reason or another. Also in RDR you could kill his son and people also criticized them for that and they wanted an AO rating for it, or they wanted it off the shelves.

But I just finished a Stephen King novel where in the first 40 pages the Protagonist had slept with hookers, murdered an entire town, made a woman have a miscarriage with the end of his gun, and shot 5 children dead. They also used the N slur later on in the series on top of abusing children and raping women.

I could have checked this book out as a freshman and no one would have questioned it. This book had so much more offensive and degrading language and acts in it and no one complains.

My question is why are video games under a microscope for slight child abuse or racism, when books, or movies,(that is likely much more successful than most video games) are not?
---
I shouldaa used a rubba!
#2Creeping_DarkPosted 1/23/2013 12:02:52 AM
Because video games are the newest - something the older generation doesn't understand. In the future we'll be protesting the depraved brain holograms kids are playing.
---
ely <3
#3atomsteelePosted 1/23/2013 12:23:42 AM(edited)
Because the people who are targeted by this sort of fear-mongering don't play videogames and will swallow whatever they are told a game represents or causes. By saying they are acting in the best interest of the children the fear pushers gain more influence over the decision making areas of the targeted folks brain.

Seriously...this tactic has been used by politicians and fear groups for as long as people have been afraid. Some of them are genuinely misguided and don't understand that there is a ratings system for a reason and ANY MEDIA can be looked to for a culprit. Music, books, movies, games have all been targeted at one time or another for various reasons and ends.
A large percentage just use it as a convenient way to further whatever agenda they hold dear.

The truth is a normal person knows that it is entertainment and isn't going to grab a shotgun and go running through town blasting people. A mentally unstable person may not and the media maker is no more guilty than the gun manufacturer that made the gun or the brewery that made the beer that led to that car accident.

We are all responsible for our own behavior regardless of mental dysfunction or status ect. That isnt to say that there aren't cases where a person may not be aware of the crime for mental or educational reasons...but those people are still accountable in the sense that they will be detained and judgement passed and carried out in one form or another.

In short it is generally a cop out. Almost all forms of media are constitutionally protected. There is NO way anyone can blame a video game for a persons actions regardless of the situation. People have tried and have failed.
#4natedude0903Posted 1/23/2013 1:53:43 AM
They scurred.
---
GT: l DatAss l (those are L's)
http://www.youtube.com/user/nategypsy0903
#5lunarswordPosted 1/23/2013 2:54:20 AM
rk_711 posted...
I never exactly understood games being attacked so heavily for this. I know in GTA: SA they were criticized for being racist against blacks for one reason or another. Also in RDR you could kill his son and people also criticized them for that and they wanted an AO rating for it, or they wanted it off the shelves.

But I just finished a Stephen King novel where in the first 40 pages the Protagonist had slept with hookers, murdered an entire town, made a woman have a miscarriage with the end of his gun, and shot 5 children dead. They also used the N slur later on in the series on top of abusing children and raping women.

I could have checked this book out as a freshman and no one would have questioned it. This book had so much more offensive and degrading language and acts in it and no one complains.

My question is why are video games under a microscope for slight child abuse or racism, when books, or movies,(that is likely much more successful than most video games) are not?

Still need to finish The Gunslinger
---
"This is all me. This is ALL ME!"
Video play throughs at - http://www.youtube.com/user/DreadArkive
#6GlitchwerksPosted 1/23/2013 7:54:22 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7GlitchwerksPosted 1/23/2013 7:54:58 AM
That's one of the reasons why Trent Reznor refuses to sell his albums in Wal-Mart. He refuses to produce an edited version. His reasoning is that you can go by violent movies and games, why should an album with explicit language be censored?

I've seen some funny conspiracy theories though...some people think game publishers themselves are the ones who court the controversy in order to sell more copies.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VKZH3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/tMlSo.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OXGN0.gif http://gifsoup.com/view5/3907877/otw-o.gif
#8Duh_Bad_GuyPosted 1/23/2013 8:08:04 AM
Because parents can't cope with the fact that they failed as parents and needs a scapegoat. Movies didn't work. Music didn't work. So blame video games. As a father of 3 mixed kids, I'm preparing for the racism they'll come across in their lives. If they choose to play video games it's my job to distinguish virtual from reality. It's my job as a parent not to let the media raise my kids. I'm grew up in the 80s, back when we prayed and said the national anthem in school.... I also got my ass whipped in school by the principal and teachers, then when I got home. At the same time, grew up watching violent movies and playing violent video games and listened to rap music. I'm a 30 year old black male from Los Angeles, California that's never gang banged, never been in jail, I drink but aside from that no drugs. And have 3 kids by 2 women that I take care of and hold down a decent job.

They took god and ass beatings out of school and the home and now we're screwed.
---
"An eye for an eye ass wipe. A toof, for a gotdamn toof." -Buffalo Soldier
#9ThirtyThr33Posted 1/23/2013 1:54:39 PM
Duh_Bad_Guy posted...
Because parents can't cope with the fact that they failed as parents and needs a scapegoat. Movies didn't work. Music didn't work. So blame video games. As a father of 3 mixed kids, I'm preparing for the racism they'll come across in their lives. If they choose to play video games it's my job to distinguish virtual from reality. It's my job as a parent not to let the media raise my kids. I'm grew up in the 80s, back when we prayed and said the national anthem in school.... I also got my ass whipped in school by the principal and teachers, then when I got home. At the same time, grew up watching violent movies and playing violent video games and listened to rap music. I'm a 30 year old black male from Los Angeles, California that's never gang banged, never been in jail, I drink but aside from that no drugs. And have 3 kids by 2 women that I take care of and hold down a decent job.

They took god and ass beatings out of school and the home and now we're screwed.

If we can't properly raise children without resorting to making them fear God, we kinda deserve to fail as a species.
---
Saving the whales-an agenda for some. Nuking them sits well with me.
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#103CDEDPosted 1/23/2013 3:37:12 PM
ThirtyThr33 posted...
If we can't properly raise children without resorting to making them fear God, we kinda deserve to fail as a species.

i agree with that. im dumbfounded at how we teach kids to fear deities before teaching them what their genitals are for. then we complain at how they found out on their own and way too early. well if you'd told them beforehand what happens and the consequences maybe you wouldn't have this problem.
---
Resident GFAQS Toyota fanboi/ Drift Master
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7816538416_df717aec0a_b.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHdriIl7VNw