Boss fights and the far cry series *spoilers*

#1M4karovPosted 2/6/2013 4:44:13 PM
They certainly took an interesting route with the boss fights with the stylistic cutscenes but I think that was kind of a disturbing choice.

The strength of the far cry series is it's open world, being able to come at things in multiple ways. Yet the boss fights are the polar opposite of that.

Why would the designers decide to restrict the gameplay at what should be the most important kills during the game? Am I overreacting or does this kind of indicate the direction the series is going to take in the future?
#2drewpot2001Posted 2/6/2013 8:01:46 PM
It was a terrible choice in my opinion, but it goes right along with what their goal was.

They wanted a free, open world, but they wanted to "grab control" of the player from time to time to progress the story narrative via cutscenes. So basically they wanted to give you freedom, but still control your fate in the end.
#3VelvenCrossPosted 2/7/2013 1:22:18 AM
Lots of missions in general don't give you freedom to tackle however you want. I was annoyed with that, especially since I seen plenty of reviews saying otherwise... they lied! :| They also said the story was good, lol... I shelfed the game sadly, couldn't get into it like everyone else.
#4Doubleglock18Posted 2/7/2013 7:32:49 AM
let's be honest, it's pretty difficult to make a legit boss battle in any FPS. you are always dealing with craploads of enemies or the boss has ludicrous health. they might as well make it cinematic.

Dishonored did it pretty well what with a straight up sword fight lasting a decent amount of time.... though you could always stop time, sneak up, ect. ect. ect. i wouldn't have minded a boss who is just as easy to kill as any mook, but plenty of others would complain about how easy he is. forgetting that the bosses are still human.
---
Colt 45 and two zig-zags, Baby that's all we need
We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!
#5squiggy9996999Posted 2/7/2013 2:10:52 PM
boss fights suck. less than 5% of games have boss fights that are good or even memorable.

boss fights are like QTE - no thanks. oh wait... :(

:P

jokes aside, i don't like boss fights unless they are MGS quality. and that's a "once per decade" type of game. so better to avoid it. they are normally cheap and bosses cheat to beat you. that's just bad game design.
#6M4karov(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 5:02:02 PM
Oh I didn't mean that Vaas and other characters should have a traditional boss fight with a health bar etc... I just mean that they should be able to be killed like a regular enemy - in a gun fight with any gun you want.

Instead they restrict you, and what is gained from it? Sure it's cinematic, sure the writers get to show off, but in the end it makes me feel like I didn't even get to fight.
#7Doubleglock18Posted 2/7/2013 5:13:51 PM
M4karov posted...
Oh I didn't mean that Vaas and other characters should have a traditional boss fight with a health bar etc... I just mean that they should be able to be killed like a regular enemy - in a gun fight with any gun you want.

Instead they restrict you, and what is gained from it? Sure it's cinematic, sure the writers get to show off, but in the end it makes me feel like I didn't even get to fight.

that's why i'd say do it like Dishonored, sure you could empty a clip into Vaas's face or snipe him out (plus give that little slo-mo follow the bullet into his face) or have you sneak up, if you choose, and get a unique kill on him. maybe even have multiple unique kills from above, below, front, back, side you get the idea.
---
Colt 45 and two zig-zags, Baby that's all we need
We can go to the park, after dark, smoke that tumbleweed!