My Far Cry 2 story.

#1Cosmic MayhemPosted 2/19/2013 12:06:55 AM
This is a long story. So I suggest you either have patience or make a funny half-witted post and move on.

It all started back in 2008. I had just picked up my preorder for Far Cry 2 and I was playing the hell out of it. I collected all the diamonds and was getting 100% in everything as I went along. At some point near the end of the game it crashed on me and I lost 70 hours of gameplay.. Basically I could never load my save file. I also had backups and they would also crash near the same area. All in all I probably wasted more like 80 hours of gameplay. I felt so cheated.. I immediately sold the game in frustration.

After a 2 year break I started getting the urge to play Far Cry 2 again.. By this time I had a brand new 360 slim and I made a point to buy a brand new copy of Far Cry 2. I thought "Hey, after all this time the game is bound to be patched! Not to mention my new system and new copy of the game! This is sure to work!" I absolutely loved that feel of Far Cry 2. Hiding in bushes and killing enemies with silent weapons. Pulling off entire missions with stealth. Waiting until the perfect time of night to strike an enemy fortress. It was such an absorbing experience and I absolutely loved the gameplay.

So I dug back into my mercenary boots and set out on my 2nd playthrough of Far Cry 2. I chose a different character this time around and once again went back to collecting all diamonds and getting 100% in everything as I went along. Once again I had made it near the end of the game. Luckily this time I'd gotten past the game breaking glitch that I had experienced all those years ago! I had made it!! I was so relieved.. especially after clocking in another 70+ hours from my 2nd playthrough.

Then.. without warning... my save game broke. Once again I loaded my backups, but they all eventually broke.. I'd let my guard down. I'd brought Far Cry 2 back into my house like an old abusive boyfriend and once again.. it let me down.

So after wasting about 160 total hours I completely gave up on Far Cry 2. I gave the game to my friend for free because I just couldn't have it in my house anymore. To this day I never know what happened to that blasted Jackal! He escaped me twice! I know I could just watch youtube videos, but it's not the same...

My last experience with a Far Cry game was about a year and a half ago. I haven't played Far Cry since. I swore I would never fall for Far Cry's tricks ANYMORE!! But, now out of the blue, I can feel that familiar urge.. I am tempted to pick up Far Cry 3. I can't help but feel like a consumer sheep to buy the next installment in the series after being royally screwed so many times with Far Cry 2.

Some of you may think I am insane. Maybe I need therapy? Or maybe.. what I need is some good ol' fashioned Far Cry 3. Perhaps stalking people and murdering them as John Rambo really is the ultimate payoff of Far Cry? Although I never was able to beat the previous game I certainly can't deny that I had a hell of a fun time playing it. Both times. Normally I never log 100+ hours into a video game. So it had to be doing something right.. Right? I mean earlier I said I wasted all those hours, but did I really waste them??

What do you think? Should I cave in and buy Far Cry 3?? Will I enjoy it as much as Far Cry 2? Perhaps even more so? Will I actually be able to finish it? I dunno about you guys, but being able to finish the game is a nice feature for video games.. maybe that's just me. Are there any known game breaking bugs for this game??

If you've made it this far I offer you this finely hand crafted machete as a reward. It also has magic powers.

If GameFaqs fails me I could always ask my friend for his advice. Technically he's a therapist and I'm seeing him next Saturday.
---
Hold your fire! Hold your fire! It's only a squirrel. He's got something in his hand! -\o_o/-
#2Cosmic Mayhem(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 12:15:28 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Cosmic Mayhem(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 12:16:21 AM
inb4coolstorybro
---
Hold your fire! Hold your fire! It's only a squirrel. He's got something in his hand! -\o_o/-
#4iomega311Posted 2/19/2013 12:45:56 AM
You will be hopelessly addicted to FC3 if you do decide to pick it up. Just about every aspect from FC2 has been improved upon, all while adding in some new elements to further deepen the experience.
---
More proof that committing actual violence inspires the playing of violent video games.
http://backloggery.com/iomega311
#5drewpot2001Posted 2/19/2013 7:44:25 AM
I didn't read all of your post, but here's some key things to consider:

- If you're buying it for Singleplayer only, find it used for under $30. DO NOT pay anymore than this for it.
- If you're buying it for Multiplayer... Don't. No, seriously... DON'T.

MP is a broken piece of turd that stinks more so than any other gaming turd we've received in the last 20 years. If it functioned as it was intended to, it'd be alright. Mediocre at best. But besides the poor design choices, it's also so buggy that it's unplayable.

Everything you liked about FC2's MP is now gone, the only improvements are the smooth gameplay engine (walking, shooting, ect) and some added features to the editor (while they ALSO took away a lot of key features, so it's win-loose there).
#6Cosmic Mayhem(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 10:17:53 AM
I would only purchase Far Cry 3 for single player.
---
#7iomega311Posted 2/19/2013 12:52:52 PM
The game is worth $60 for the single player alone. The biggest difference is that there's a standard HUD now, as opposed to it being minimalistic like with FC2.
---
More proof that committing actual violence inspires the playing of violent video games.
http://backloggery.com/iomega311
#8atomsteelePosted 2/19/2013 1:55:30 PM
Unlike far cry 2 this time around they are listening to the gaming community and have been consistently releasing updates. This game is great. Bottom line. The difficulty is dialed back a bit from far cry 2 but they are releasing another patch that gives us a new "master" difficulty and the ability to repopulate the enemies (they don't respawn at outposts once it's been taken).
Imo it's well worth it and at this point you can find a good sale or used copy for much less than 60. The preorder dlc is available as a pack on Xbox live and you would be jumping in after the bugs but before any potential new dlc.
Go for it. You won't be disappointed.
#9Gobey6Posted 2/19/2013 3:59:27 PM
atomsteele posted...
Unlike far cry 2 this time around they are listening to the gaming community and have been consistently releasing updates. This game is great. Bottom line. The difficulty is dialed back a bit from far cry 2 but they are releasing another patch that gives us a new "master" difficulty and the ability to repopulate the enemies (they don't respawn at outposts once it's been taken).
Imo it's well worth it and at this point you can find a good sale or used copy for much less than 60. The preorder dlc is available as a pack on Xbox live and you would be jumping in after the bugs but before any potential new dlc.
Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

This exactly
---
"You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback." --- Gamertag: Gobey6
#10SmackemsPosted 2/19/2013 4:20:07 PM
Cosmic Mayhem posted...
I would only purchase Far Cry 3 for single player.

Then it is well worth it. At full price.
---
Common sense is the most uncommon thing in the world-some dude.