Story ( Major Story Spoilers Here!)

#1GhostlyShyguyPosted 2/21/2013 1:24:51 AM
Any one else find the story boring and just plain stupid? I mean, you spend the whole game trying to rescue your friends, you do all that work and its the only reason you have the tatau (or whatever). And then at the end, you get two, very, black/white endings.. Leave with your friends and pretty much destroy the tribe (without any closure on that). Or kill your friends (which contradicts the whole stroy) bang citra and die.. And again, no closure.. Unless I'm missing something, the story was horrible. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was good but I was kinda confused on what was even going on most of the time.. That leads me to the characters... Just bad bad all around.. A couple of good ones like Vaas or Citra but characters like Jason and his friends were just boring all around. Hoyt was like he just came out of no where. And as cool as Vaas was, his death was confusing... When Jason was all tripped out and finally killed him, I didn't even think I was fighting him in that whole scene. It honestly didn't do him justice. Now for Jason, Jason just seemed rushed. When my friends were talking about him going insane over time, it sounded cool, but right when he meets Citra, he seemed to just automatically go insane for whatever reason. Well, thats the end of my rant. Helpful Criticism is welcome, If someone would shed some light on the subject It'd be much appreciated.
---
Gt - Ghostly Shyguy
"Get real, No way."
#2GlitchwerksPosted 2/21/2013 7:11:00 AM
Any one else find the story boring and just plain stupid?

Yeah, but the second you say anything about it you get flamed.

From what I've seen from this board, there was material cut that would have helped the endings make a little more sense.

The friend with the glasses and beanie was supposed to have been set up by Hoyt to be killed by Jason. That would have made Jason's "I'm a monster, I can't come back from this" ending a bit more sense. I don't think it would have helped the "I'm going to become an evil warrior and kill everyone and then get stabbed" ending though.

Maybe it's something they can add back with DLC, or perhaps they can add DLC that will add to the story in some meaningful way.

I would just like to hear anything about DLC at this point.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VKZH3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/tMlSo.jpg http://i.imgur.com/OXGN0.gif http://gifsoup.com/view5/3907877/otw-o.gif
#3drewpot2001Posted 2/21/2013 7:16:17 AM
I agree that the story is a bit lacking, my biggest grips:

- Terribly not right for the moment voice acting and writing
ie: Oh hey, I just got shot at by an army of pirates after just narrowly escaping being sold into slavery and almost died... "Oh, cool tatts Bro." - Oliver

- Jason's voice actor. He's fine in most of the situations, but whenever it's a heated cutscene or intense gameplay section he sounds like he's whining and crying. And he cracks random jokes that are both lame and rarely make sense. Sure, you could just say it's his strange and quirky personality, but I'll go with bad writing/voice acting.

- Vaas' death. Like you said, it was anti-climatic, though it does give the chance to leave him alive which I like. But like other boss fights, the stupid quick time events are a terribly way to execute big boss fights.

- The ending is too black and white like you said. Up until that very scene you're STILL fighting to save your friends and are risking your life to do so. But then in that one moment Jason's REALLY going to decided "OH HEY, LET'S SLIT ALL OF THEIR THROATS INSTEAD AND GET LAID."

Terrible.
#4PFiction24Posted 2/23/2013 8:15:02 PM
The games writer said the game was based on what Jason will tell people after the fact rather then the actual events, which is dumb in a few ways.

1. I played through the whole game, paid attention to the story and had to be TOLD BY THE WRITER what the story represented. If it was Jason telling the story then it should have been framed by him telling the story to someone, a' la The Usual Suspects.

2. If he's telling the story after the fact, what about the ending where he dies?

3. He included a bunch of extraneous stuff like letters, relics and bases?

4. He expects how ever he's talking to to buy a magic tattoo that teaches his stuff?

I was expecting a deconstruction of action movie/games plot and a fight for survival where the natives teach you how to fight rather then magic tats. And I still want a game like that.

Still a great game though.
---
"Who's flying this thing? Oh yea, that would be me."
#5knives outPosted 2/24/2013 8:00:11 PM
i found the story ok. the ending was fairly weird. who would kill the freinds they spent the whole game trying to rescue?
---
Remember.... violence is NEVER the answer. Sometimes, though, it's the question... and the answer is "Yes".
#6bananasandwich1Posted 2/25/2013 4:44:08 AM
Story was one of the worst I have ever experienced in a game. There were times where I didn't even want to keep playing the main storyline because of how bad it was. On the flip side though, the rest of the game was amazing so it made up for it.
#7nothingbeastPosted 2/25/2013 7:43:39 AM
who would kill the freinds they spent the whole game trying to rescue?

After a while I started getting tired of their whining.

It came to a head when you tell everyone you're not leaving the island you walk away with the "Just worry about yourself. It's what you do best" line. I'm sorry, who was it that saved your asses single-handed and all you can worry about is the job interview you missed?

Maybe I was looking too deep into the game, but as I became more involved with the tribe, I started viewing my friends as the typical vapid, self-centered, invincible-feeling idiots who love their privileged little lives until things don't go their way. The "red pill" scenes from the cave didn't help convince me otherwise.

"Hey, me and my friends are big douchebag Americans! We're gonna visit your country and be gigantic idiots, trusting complete strangers and beating the locals in the face. UHMERCA!!!!"

Granted... I still picked my friends at the ending... but it was a choice I had to think about for a few seconds.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#8Ick_ukPosted 2/27/2013 5:24:32 AM
The game is really good and you can get a lot of gameplay without the story but the story is really bad i dont think I have played many worse stories. Its a really pitty as with a good story this game would be awsome.
#9TagThisTsTsPosted 2/28/2013 8:18:55 PM
bananasandwich1 posted...
Story was one of the worst I have ever experienced in a game. There were times where I didn't even want to keep playing the main storyline because of how bad it was. On the flip side though, the rest of the game was amazing so it made up for it.

You have never played RDR then, now thats a terribly overrated story.
---
"Do you know how many birthdays their are each year? Literally hundreds." Stop buying over-priced DLC!!
#10HatchetHoundPosted 2/28/2013 9:17:47 PM
bananasandwich1 posted...

You have never played RDR then, now thats a terribly overrated story.

I assume you mean the original Red Dead Revolver and not Redemption, because you'd be just plain wrong otherwise.

I mean, seriously implying Far Cry 3 has a better story than Red Dead Redemption? How silly.
---
"Mistakes are just a part of learning. You donít become an Expert At Bandit Extermination without accidentally offing a few farmers, for instance."