To Any Who Have Played Far Cry 2

#1ArnoxPosted 2/11/2014 1:26:05 PM
I asked my bro who has played this game and a lot of Far Cry 2 what the difference was between the flamethrower in FC2 and the flamethrower in FC3. All he said was that the flamethrower in FC3 was better but he said I just had to play it to know the difference, which I think is weird.

I've looked online and no one's compared the two weapons at all it seems. So, can you all tell me what the difference is between the two? Keep in mind that I've played a very decent amount of FC2 as well.
#2specialkid8Posted 2/12/2014 5:10:56 PM
I don't really remember but I'd say they're about the same. The one in Farcry 2 had a back pack whereas the Farcry 3 one you can reload with a canister thing. That's about it I think. Neither one of them are particularly worth using.
#3Arnox(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 7:14:15 PM
specialkid8 posted...
I don't really remember but I'd say they're about the same. The one in Farcry 2 had a back pack whereas the Farcry 3 one you can reload with a canister thing. That's about it I think. Neither one of them are particularly worth using.

Not true at all, my friend. I don't know about Far Cry 3's but in FC2 It actually makes for a great panic button of sorts. You see, the nice things about the flamethrower are actually fourfold.

1. You have perfect accuracy with the flamethrower when you hip-fire it. (which is always, of course) And no recoil as well!
2. Since you can aim perfectly when you hip-fire it, that means you can be much more mobile with it than any other gun.
3. When you're firing on an enemy itself, not only will even a short burst from it stun an enemy for a solid 4 seconds, it will do a very decent amount of damage. It doesn't take long at all to melt someone down and then you can sprint right on over to the next victim.
4. And lastly, it serves as a great area denial weapon due to the obvious fact that fire will effectively deter any enemy AI from going into an area. And the nice thing is, Fire doesn't do nearly as much damage to you as it does to the AI so you can just sprint right through any blazes if you have to.

All of these contribute to an INCREDIBLE gun for rushing.
#4scott0728Posted 2/13/2014 11:24:08 AM
Yeah, I love it as well. I use it instead of a shotgun at times since it has similar range and it is much more fun. It's very effective against heavies if you get a good stream on them. It does take a second to get the flames to them, so you do take a little more damage than with a gun that shoots faster. But if you pop out of cover and pull the trigger sooner, it is fantastic. Much more expensive to replenish ammo, but money is easy in this game. It's so good that I've failed some of the "knife" missions, where I've started an area on fire and it spreads to a target who gets burned and dies from the flames.
#5specialkid8Posted 2/13/2014 11:29:04 AM
Arnox posted...

Not true at all, my friend. I don't know about Far Cry 3's but in FC2 It actually makes for a great panic button of sorts. You see, the nice things about the flamethrower are actually fourfold.

1. You have perfect accuracy with the flamethrower when you hip-fire it. (which is always, of course) And no recoil as well!
2. Since you can aim perfectly when you hip-fire it, that means you can be much more mobile with it than any other gun.
3. When you're firing on an enemy itself, not only will even a short burst from it stun an enemy for a solid 4 seconds, it will do a very decent amount of damage. It doesn't take long at all to melt someone down and then you can sprint right on over to the next victim.
4. And lastly, it serves as a great area denial weapon due to the obvious fact that fire will effectively deter any enemy AI from going into an area. And the nice thing is, Fire doesn't do nearly as much damage to you as it does to the AI so you can just sprint right through any blazes if you have to.

All of these contribute to an INCREDIBLE gun for rushing.

That sounds more like something that would work in Farcry 3 since fire was neutered. In Farcry 2 it was limited by its range. If you want a short range weapon a shotgun is better. If you want to use it to set stuff on fire you're only going to be able to set the area you're currently standing in on fire and molotovs or shooting barrels are better. it's a better flamethrower than in most games but it's still not worth taking up a slot unless you just want to have a bit of fun.
#6Arnox(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 3:16:49 PM(edited)
specialkid8 posted...
That sounds more like something that would work in Farcry 3 since fire was neutered. In Farcry 2 it was limited by its range. If you want a short range weapon a shotgun is better. If you want to use it to set stuff on fire you're only going to be able to set the area you're currently standing in on fire and molotovs or shooting barrels are better. it's a better flamethrower than in most games but it's still not worth taking up a slot unless you just want to have a bit of fun.

Shotguns are fine but when hip-firing them, their accuracy degrades something fierce and aiming isn't much better. Also, the aim assist itself in FC2 isn't very smooth. That is one thing that CoD has over FC2. You see, in CoD, the game will have already locked right on to your enemy when you bring the gun all the way up to the sights. In FC2, even when it's already brought up all the way, there is still a rather small delay in the sights actually locking onto an enemy. For single-shot weapons such as the Homeland or M1903 or even the SPAS, this is rather problematic.

And as I have stated, the flamethrower allows you to be more mobile than other weapons. Something the shotguns also don't have. It's kinda weird to say this about a flamethrower but setting the environment on fire as a side effect of using it is actually just an added bonus really.

Now, having said that, is it the best weapon in the game? Not really, no. In terms of sheer destructive usefulness, the mortar really puts it to shame and we can't forget about the BFG- I mean, the MGL-140.