Just started... I'm immersed, but not immersed

#1Drkr_ZenPosted 5/20/2014 3:31:50 AM(edited)
Please tell me the story pans out alright.

I just started and despite the intro being really cool, the environments looking awesome and the world already drawing me in... I'm not quite immersed character-wise.

I mean... here I am, staring at two characters: a guy who has been in the army, and a pilot. And, I end up playing as the pilot. Instead of playing as a guy who probably knows his way around a gun, CQC and possibly used explosives and other firearms who would have to adapt to a jungle environment and taking on savage mercenaries... I play as a pilot with magical tattoos. Magical. Tattoos.

I'm already liking the only other FC I've ever played - FC2 - a lot more, lol. I know its silly, but its just a little thing like that, that breaks immersion in this tactical open world mercenary based shooter.

---
Playing: BL2, Dark Souls II, Gunman's Proof, BoFIV
GOTY: Demon's Souls (2009) Bayonetta (2010) Dark Souls (2011) Borderlands 2 (2012) BS: Infinite (2013)
#2PuffNickyPosted 5/20/2014 3:28:05 AM
Your character sucks, but most of the bad guys are awesome.
---
XBL GT: PuffNicky
#3Drkr_Zen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2014 3:31:28 AM
Well, that's a plus, at least.
---
GOTY: Demon's Souls (2009) Bayonetta (2010) Dark Souls (2011) Borderlands 2 (2012) BS: Infinite (2013)
#4UndercovaSmackPosted 5/22/2014 6:54:57 PM
You're actually not the pilot you're the middle brother of both those guys who has no direction in life...so yeah
---
AHA I throw that **** before I came into the room-Black Dynamite
#5nawniePosted 5/23/2014 12:05:39 PM
ok. since your from the fps side of this game the blank slate character may be a little of to you, tis comes from the rpg aspect, the idea is he is who you say he is. UndercovaSmack is exactly right he has no direction in life until the story of the game unfolds how it unfolds is up to you.

the tattos being magical is a bit off puting for the far cry series but its not like you are hurling fireballs at your enemies. not really sure why they are done as tattos but there more skills then magic.
#6nawniePosted 5/23/2014 12:06:01 PM
ok. since your from the fps side of this game the blank slate character may be a little of to you, tis comes from the rpg aspect, the idea is he is who you say he is. UndercovaSmack is exactly right he has no direction in life until the story of the game unfolds how it unfolds is up to you.

the tattos being magical is a bit off puting for the far cry series but its not like you are hurling fireballs at your enemies. not really sure why they are done as tattos but there more skills then magic.
#7Drkr_Zen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2014 3:37:16 PM
UndercovaSmack posted...
You're actually not the pilot you're the middle brother of both those guys who has no direction in life...so yeah

Yeah, I didn't get that till more than halfway through the game... lol. That's even worse.

Just finished it, though, and I totally agree... the antagonists and a few of the NPCs, especially Sam, made up for playing as a dumbass, lol.
---
#8Estabon1Posted 6/2/2014 3:42:11 PM
Yeah, the story pans out alright. I actually really enjoyed playing as Jason, despite him coming off as a total annoying ***** for a good part of the game. The transformation that occurs is, to me, one of the game's greatest story telling feats.
---
Man. First world problems. - atomsteele re. GTAV
GT: Shawn Batey
#9Mr Penguin 007Posted 6/6/2014 2:10:33 PM
The scene where Jason finds out Riley is dead was really good. I just wish the story would've been less motivated by revenge and more motivated by survival.
---
GT: Coltonius
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas