Can you place blocks on top of boats?

#1Skeif13Posted 5/5/2012 2:03:59 PM
If you can, how will they interact? Would the block stay on top even if the boat were moving, or would if just float above and completely ignore the boat? What about blocks affected by gravity?

If you can't, what if you placed the boat under a floating block, put sand on top of that block, then destroyed the block? Would that sand land on the boat? Would the boat be destroyed?

I'm curious because I want to make a water powered piston before actual pistons even exist. lol
---
If you believe in Bridget, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100 % proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2Amidamaru_Posted 5/5/2012 2:16:33 PM
www.minecraftwiki.net/
Most of your questions can be answered there with a quick search.
And before you start ripping into me... I'm not being an arse. It's a really useful resource, and you'll thank me later when you need tips on Redstone, or pointers on mining.

At any rate, boats are entities.
Entities are different from blocks, as you might imagine. The player, NPC's (not until WAY later, mind...) and mobs are also a form of entities.
Blocks can't be attached to entities, so you can't make a big floating platform out of boats and wooden planks, for example. And, of course, blocks can't move. They're always stuck to the spot where they're placed. Exception is when they're pushed by a piston, but even then it's not free-moving like a boat would move.
---
Signature?
#3Skeif13(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 2:46:08 PM
Thanks! So I guess that means sand can't be pushed up without a real piston. :(

Still don't know what happens when sand falls above a boat though. The wiki says it'll drop sand if it lands on a non solid block, but turn into sand if it lands on a solid block. It says the boat is solid so I don't know if the sand would just stay on top of the boat until the boat moves out of the way, or if the boat would break. Or does that depend on the health of the boat and the height from which the sand was dropped?

I'll find a way to make a piston. I'LL FIND A WAY! Probably not, but I like experimenting.
---
If you believe in Bridget, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100 % proud of it, put this in your sig.
#4kurisuiPosted 5/5/2012 2:53:08 PM
Boat is an entity, not a block, it will fall right through it. Possibly pushing the boat up or out of the way.
#5Skeif13(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 2:59:03 PM
Ah, thanks guys.
---
#6_Just_Blaze_Posted 5/5/2012 3:23:58 PM

Thanks! So I guess that means sand can't be pushed up without a real piston. :(

Still don't know what happens when sand falls above a boat though. The wiki says it'll drop sand if it lands on a non solid block, but turn into sand if it lands on a solid block. It says the boat is solid so I don't know if the sand would just stay on top of the boat until the boat moves out of the way, or if the boat would break. Or does that depend on the health of the boat and the height from which the sand was dropped?

I'll find a way to make a piston. I'LL FIND A WAY! Probably not, but I like experimenting.

you're trying to make a roof to a boat?

I only see that being useful if you're mining while boating and sand might fall on you...
---
http://i.imgur.com/yQ0Kb.jpg May 9th! http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/blaze+92x.jpg
#7Skeif13(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 3:30:59 PM
_Just_Blaze_ posted...

I only see that being useful if you're mining while boating and sand might fall on you...

Actually I wanted to make something similar to a piston. With a certain area filling with water to push the boat up, and emptying when I want the boat to go back down. I think I can do that, but I was hoping the boat would be able to carry things with it, (Aside from people) which I guess isn't possible.
---
#8_Just_Blaze_Posted 5/5/2012 5:47:35 PM

_Just_Blaze_ posted...

Actually I wanted to make something similar to a piston. With a certain area filling with water to push the boat up, and emptying when I want the boat to go back down. I think I can do that, but I was hoping the boat would be able to carry things with it, (Aside from people) which I guess isn't possible.

oh. sounds fun. add me @ BLAZE 92X

anyone with that kind of imagination sounds like a good time :D
---
http://i.imgur.com/yQ0Kb.jpg May 9th! http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/blaze+92x.jpg