The Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Information Mega-Thread

#1Chuck_BosworthPosted 5/9/2012 9:53:58 AM(edited)
The recent explosion in attendance on this board, like all others on release, has led to tons of repeated questions, I hope this can end some of them.

What is this game?
This is Minecraft, ported to the Xbox by 4J Studios (not Mojang) for the Xbox Live Arcade.
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f=UTF-8&q=minecraft

How much does this game cost?
1600 Microsoft points, or $20.

Isn't this already out for PC? Is this the same?
Yes, and no. The current version of the Xbox 360 Edition is roughly equivalent to Minecraft beta 1.6.6. (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history) The game will receive free updates to catch it up to the PC version and will even have it's own exclusive features (some it already has!).

I bought the PC version during Alpha/Beta, don't I get a discount or this game free?
Nope. But as of right now, you can buy the game at 25% off as a digital download from Best Buy. That is, $15.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Minecraft+Xbla:+Xbox+360+Digital+Download/1000002489.p?id=1000002488&skuId=1000002489

Where is Creative Mode? Hardcore? Where are the NPC Towns?
I repeat, this is version 1.6.6. If you think the game is missing a feature, check that version history and do a quick search to see when the feature was added to the game.

Does this have multiplayer?
Yes. It has up to 8 player multiplayer. The game also allows for splitscreen play, up to 4 players per console. Any combination of splitscreen and online is allowed. At least one Xbox Live profile has to be Gold to play online.

How do I change what my character looks like?
Technically, you can't change it yourself. Player 1 will always look like the default Steve. Player 2 will always be the Tennis Outfit guy, Player 3 the Tuxedo, etc. etc. So if you join a game and you're the fifth person to join, you'll get the skin assigned to player 5.

How does multiplayer work, specifically?
First I'll discuss splitscreen, then online play.
Splitscreen is drop-in, drop-out. NOTE: Splitscreen play is only available when using an HDMI or Component Cables to play in HD. It is this way because the menus would be unreadable on SDTVs anyways. As said before, at least one Xbox Live profile has to be Gold to play online. Any other Gold profile on the Xbox can drop-in or drop-out of game as desired. Guests are enabled for online play. Guest inventories are not saved, put your stuff in a chest before quitting. Guests need to be logged in before joining a game. Guests that have dropped out of a game can resume play without going back to the main menu. Again, Gold profiles can exit or join games as they'd like. Offline play allows any profiles to play.

Online play supports up to 8 people in any combination of single or splitscreen (obviously the 4-player splitscreen rule applies). This could be 6 individuals and 2 on splitscreen, 4 and 4, etc. All player information (inventories) is saved by the host in the world save file. Items do not carry over between worlds. Players can come and go as they please (or are invited). NOTE: You can only play with people on your Xbox Live Friend's List. A game is run by a single host, with all progress (again, including other players' inventories) saved to the host's file. If the host quits, then the game ends. Other players must continue playing on a different save file, using a new host player.

Why does it say Online Game and Invite Only, then?
These rules still apply to your friends list only. If you don't mind your friends dropping in and out of your game, set it to Online Game. If you don't want your friends to even see your game on their list of friend's online or you want to play with non-Gold gamertags to save progress, uncheck Online Game. If you'd like to be more choosy with your friends, set it to Invite Only.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#2Chuck_Bosworth(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 9:10:53 AM(edited)
Why is Online play limited to friend's only?
There is a little thing called griefing. That is, people kill you and destroy your stuff. Without mods and plugins like the PC version has, the 4J chose to limit multiplayer to friends only to protect against griefing.

How do you play Minecraft?
The Xbox 360 Edition includes a handy tutorial for new players, as well as a new crafting interface which has all of the crafting recipes built into the game. If you need help beyond the tutorial, try looking up some Youtube videos, there are already a lot of 360 Edition videos going up.

What is the point of the game?
Currently the only mode in the game is Survival Mode. As listed above, Creative and Hardcore are absent but will be added in the future for free. Survival Mode puts players in a randomly generated world with nothing but a map (an Xbox 360 exclusive!). Players are then tasked with surviving. Players will soon realize, however, that survival is only the tip of the iceberg. In order to survive, players need shelter to protect themselves from monsters like Zombies, Spiders, Skeletons, and the infernal Creeper. This quest for survival quickly turns into a quest to make a cooler house, then an awesome castle, until players find themselves making pixel art and whole villages just because it's fun and they achieve a sense of accomplishment.

I heard the worlds are small, is this true?
The PC version has "infinite" world size through procedural generation. Due to the Xbox 360's limited capabilities, the world size was limited to 1024x1024 blocks. This is the size of the map item provided to every player in their inventory when starting a game.

Won't we run out of resources?
Most likely not. Some resources are renewable (wood, stone, charcoal, etc.), but even the ones that aren't there are way too many for most people to actually use, even with 8 players. In a world this size, there are over 12,000 diamonds and around 350,000 blocks of iron ore.

What is a seed?
A seed is a string of numbers which determines the way the world is first generated. Users are given the option to input their own seed (the game converts letters into numbers). This is used so that players can share cool worlds they find with other players. Simply type in the same seed and the same world is generated, every time. Go ahead, give "gargamel" a try. And yes, seeds are case sensitive. Seeds also carry over from the PC version at this time. If you look up any seed that was from Beta 1.3-1.7.3, it should work. (Terrain generation was altered in Beta 1.8, thus the reason those and newer seeds will produce different results.)

Skins? Textures? Mods?
I'm glad you asked in that order, because that's the order 4J Studios is looking into them to see if they can add these customizable options to the game. Skins would be what your player looks like. Textures would be what the blocks, items, and mobs look like. And Mods are mods. Modifications.

What are those other Xbox 360 Edition exclusive features?
Besides spawning with a Map and splitscreen, players can upload pictures from the game directly to Facebook. Obviously a Facebook profile is required. This is done by pausing the game while looking at whatever you'd like to take a screenshot of, then pressing Y. Here is an example of what is uploaded:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/Chuck_Bosworth/Minecraft/Minecraft360Screenshot.jpg (This was the first thing I built when I got the game yesterday.)

As a reward for doing this, players are given a free Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition Premium Theme for their dashboard. Other Xbox 360 Exclusive features are to come in the future (like Kinect support).
---
#3Chuck_Bosworth(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 9:11:17 AM(edited)
What are the achievements for the game?
They are pretty similar to the in-game achievements from the PC version and can be found here: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/minecraft/achievements/
As it says there, there are 400 points to be had.

I see an auto-save feature, what is that?
The auto-save is only for profile specific data such as leaderboard information. This is not saving your world when it saves. In order to save your world, you have to do so manually. You can save while playing in the pause menu. When a host saves a world, all players are put into the "saving" screen until it is complete. A prompt asking if you would like to save is shown upon choosing "Exit Game." Manual saving is a good way to stop griefers. If someone destroys something in your game, exit without saving, and restart. Some progress might be lost, but it's not as bad as a giant crater from TNT or a flood of lava.

I click the right thumbstick and I walk slowly, why is that?
Your player is crouching, as can be seen in the top left corner of the screen. Crouching stops players from falling off of blocks while moving, unless you use the jump button to jump off of a block while crouching.

What if I have other, game-specific questions?
All game and item-specific questions should be turned towards the Minecraft Wiki:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki
This should be able to answer any basic gameplay questions and tell you about items if the "What's This?" inventory feature (while in inventory, hover over an item and press Right Bumper) built into the game doesn't satisfy your need for information.

I hope this helped and I'll try to add anything to this that might pop up as a common question.

Please note that I tried to answer questions mostly specific to the Xbox 360 Edition. Any other questions regarding the game itself should be directed to the Minecraft Wiki as said earlier, or put to the board if you cannot find an answer there.
---
#4JON4495Posted 5/9/2012 8:50:13 AM
Sticky requested
---
Gamertag: BIONICxSHADOW
#5FiddlerssoupPosted 5/9/2012 8:52:14 AM(edited)
This is awesome good job. How do I request a sticky?
---
Gt - Fiddlesoup
#6racerapjPosted 5/9/2012 8:53:34 AM
Great guide! Keep it up!
---
Xbox:InsanityWolf7 II PS3:Racerapj II YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/racerapj II MK: Cyrax II Avenger:Wolverine II Super Ethical Genki Hunter
#7Chuck_Bosworth(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2012 8:53:38 AM
Thanks, and you click message detail on the first post and there should be a spot for you to fill out a reason and then click request. If you guys think of anything I should add, let me know, I still have a little while before I can't edit any posts.
---
#8SiblingzPosted 5/9/2012 8:56:11 AM
Mandatory question in a Minecraft sticky

Minecraft more like Mein Kampf amirite?
---
If you wanna see how smart you are Click here
#9ollie229Posted 5/9/2012 8:56:20 AM
Awesome job. Very helpful.
#10JON4495Posted 5/9/2012 8:58:23 AM
Well this was stickied fast lol
---