Need some help finding Gold and Diamond

#1Avg_Joe_GamerPosted 5/11/2012 12:49:09 AM
So I'm currently playing with a group of 3 other people. We're building an ultra tall lighthouse that stops at the top of the map. We have a bunch of different floors and I want to put in a sort of roller coaster on one of the floors, either that or find a way to have a single rail system go between all the floors where the rider can stop at each floor and choose to continue down/up.

Anyway, to accomplish either of those goals I need some gold for the powered rails. We've gone mining into a mine we kind of just made ourselves (we just took pickaxes and started moving downward), but we quickly hit bedrock and spread out in all directions. The only ore we could find was iron and only one patch of redstone.

So does anyone have any tips on how to find gold/diamond "easily"?

Also, some more redstone would be nice since we only found one patch of it.

P.S. After typing this up I'm starting to think we should just try another self-made mine in another area of the map. Thoughts?
#2X3RO_THE0RYPosted 5/11/2012 1:03:44 AM
If you find an underground cave, explore it. Explore it to the fullest. You will end up finding a lot of stuff.

Also, find random places and just start digging downwards. Most likely, you'll end up in a cave and you can explore it. Or sometimes, you'll hit bedrock.

I did the above method recently and I found 9 pieces of diamond and like 4 pieces of gold. Found like 30 pieces of Redstone too.
---
I'm not fat... I'm just a little Husky.
http://i.imgur.com/vqlO1.jpg
#3pstwoorbustPosted 5/11/2012 1:15:22 AM
This is the 1.6 version diagram of ores relative to block height
for reference, the uppermost layer of bedrock is considered layer 5

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/archive/c/ca/20111027164920!PercentOfOreByHeight.png

Also branch mining is your best bet for finding ores. Personally I prefer layer 12 mining, because it is above the lava lakes, and is great for finding diamonds. Gold is only found in the lower 30 levels.

This is the best way to make sure you get 100% of all ores:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/1/17/Mining_example.png

Make the bottom layer start at 5 if you are going to do that, with the limited map size on the 360 you can easily collect all the ores in the map following that method.
---
This is minecraft. Why would u want 2 deal with uneven terrain? If you don't like the lay of the land, you punch it until it shapes the f*** up. l33t_ninj4_1337
#4usernamej13Posted 5/11/2012 1:18:53 AM
Check out the Minecraft Wiki. It has everything you could possibly need to know. Keep in mind however, the main page is for PC version, so there may be a few added things that are yet to be in the 360 port - yet all the properties for gold and diamond will be the same. The current build for the 360 is Beta 1.6.6, with 1.7 coming up in the next update.
---
I was born with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
#5Avg_Joe_Gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 1:32:33 AM
So is one block considered one layer? Also, if bedrock is layer 5 and I can't destroy it, how do I get to layer 30 for gold?
#6xcalibur6000Posted 5/11/2012 6:21:33 AM
yes one block is one layer. The top row of bedrock is 5, one block up from that is 6, then 7, and so on and so forth all the way to the surface.
---
Sorry, our princess is in another castle.
#7vinnied717Posted 5/11/2012 6:22:56 AM

So is one block considered one layer? Also, if bedrock is layer 5 and I can't destroy it, how do I get to layer 30 for gold?

30 layers up from the bottom... If you place a brick on the bedrock and stand on it, you are on level 6.
#8AesahaettrPosted 5/11/2012 6:24:31 AM
From what i've read Bedrock is layer 0 so count up from there. I've been digging for at least 10 hours and only found 2 blocks of diamond so far but masses of redstone, iron and a few blocks of gold.
Sounds like you've just been unlucky as all i've done is dig my own cave system. When I hit bedrock I just dug back up a few levels and kept digging at around the same layer for a while until I got lucky.
---
#1 for knife kills at some point on every Battlefield game, now retired. The Stabby Messiah.
4.87 K/D Ratio on Crysis 2, 40 killstreak. Yautja Elite Assassin.
#9SEA_Posted 5/11/2012 3:23:01 PM
pstwoorbust posted...
Make the bottom layer start at 5 if you are going to do that, with the limited map size on the 360 you can easily collect all the ores in the map following that method.

That would take a s***load of time, even with the limited map size...
---
Chargers, Padres, Clippers, SDSU, LMU
http://www.last.fm/user/AStevetSA
#10Da_doppenPosted 5/11/2012 3:28:57 PM

That would take a s***load of time, even with the limited map size...

Yes, every layer has over a million blocks...

Also, lapis is rarer than diamonds, really?
---
Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names!