How exactly do Seeds work?

#1TerantatekPosted 5/11/2012 11:36:50 AM
Are there just random servers that correspond to a combination of random letters/numbers and words that is available to anyone Online?
(E.g: random types in seed-mountwannahawkaloogy, makes island with imprint. Random B types in seed-mountwannahawkaloogy, joins island with imprint and blows everything up then leaves)

I'm confused, toasted, and even more confused on this.
---
I'm what you would call, a modern day Hippie.
Love, Peace, 4:20-14/7. Living in Euphoria
#2BBilbo1Posted 5/11/2012 11:39:22 AM
It's all an algorithm based on how the seed generator calculates the values of the characters you put in.
---
GamerTag: Hammer2Fall
#3iron_lion_exePosted 5/11/2012 11:40:44 AM
you should use the seed 'toasted'. Then get back to me about it.
---
GT: LEO IS UNSTABLE
#4Terantatek(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 11:41:30 AM
Ya I know it makes random servers, but what happens if multiple people type in thr exact same seed?
---
#5chasingmaynardPosted 5/11/2012 11:45:18 AM
Terantatek posted...
Ya I know it makes random servers, but what happens if multiple people type in thr exact same seed?

Then they would both be running around on identical worlds, but not in the same world.

quantum theory for the win...
#6Seekcro2010Posted 5/11/2012 11:45:57 AM
Maps are randomly generated, except that computers can't do truly random things. So what minecraft doors is take a seed, from your time if you haven't put one in, and just uses a complex system to create the map from there. By imputing the same seed, you guarantee that the ”randomly” generated map will be the same.
---
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him" -Voltaire
Proud agnostic
#7Terantatek(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2012 11:49:35 AM
iron_lion_exe posted...
you should use the seed 'toasted'. Then get back to me about it.

What, just lotsa snow and ice?
---
#8_Pingu_Posted 5/11/2012 11:53:09 AM
I don't understand why the seeds are what they are. Why are they things like "gargamel" which gives you a normal looking world, rather than Ajgrgreit3aegr giving me a specific world.
---
Be happy and stuff
#9RudigerPosted 5/11/2012 12:07:00 PM
think of seeds as fixed entry points to a pre-generated random number list. a seed can be any string of characters but people will often try usernames, pet names, common words/phrases, etc. some just so happen to create interesting worlds and those are the ones you tend to see in seed threads.
---