Where do I get the charcoal for torches?

#1bigdee1960Posted 5/16/2012 10:51:05 AM
I have been playing for hours and I still can't make a torch. Errrr :(
---
PSN Bad_Company48
#2_Just_Blaze_Posted 5/16/2012 10:52:02 AM
smelt raw wood blocks
---
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/blaze+92x.jpg
#3bigdee1960(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 11:01:27 AM
Thanks
---
PSN Bad_Company48
#4GrovelPosted 5/16/2012 11:20:52 AM
Coal is better. just dig for it.
---
I won't change this sig until EggRow marries me.(Started 12/31/07)
http://i40.tinypic.com/2pov4vs.jpg http://i55.tinypic.com/a29p9i.jpg/%7Etyler/da2ot-04.gif
#5BlitzkriegBrycePosted 5/16/2012 11:33:07 AM
How is coal better? charcoal and coal make the same exact torches
---
"Ha-ha! I threw that **** before I walked in the room!" - Black Dynamite
GT/PSN: BlitzkriegBryce
#6JustAScrubPosted 5/16/2012 11:35:17 AM
BlitzkriegBryce posted...

The thing is, coal is so abundant that you're better off saving your wood blocks for building. Coal is also a much better fuel for the furnace.
---
Think For Yourself; Question Authority.
Apparently grapeade is satan's ball sweat, 'cause I seriously thought I was gonna die and go to hell.... --Zipdiggler
#7BlitzkriegBrycePosted 5/16/2012 11:45:21 AM(edited)
JustAScrub posted...

The thing is, coal is so abundant that you're better off saving your wood blocks for building. Coal is also a much better fuel for the furnace.

But you can have unlimited wood! Make a birch tree farm and you'll find that you'll get (usually) at least 2 saplings per tree you cut down. Plus birch tree are easy to harvest, as long as you stand on the stump you can always be able to harvest a birch tree fully. Also birch trees grow insanely fast, can grow in one in game day and usually a lot faster (sometimes a minute after you plant it!).

Also why is coal a better fuel for the furnace? Does it burn your materials down faster? I usually just use wood planks as fuel.
---
"Ha-ha! I threw that **** before I walked in the room!" - Black Dynamite
GT/PSN: BlitzkriegBryce
#8midnyghtsson265Posted 5/16/2012 11:44:30 AM(edited)
Wood is limitless...everytime I get my lumberjack on...I plant several saplings. Next time I want wood, go to that spot.

Plus....doesn't everyone wanna wake up with wood?.....
---
"Competition and Cheating can't co-exist"
#9Skeif13Posted 5/16/2012 12:03:13 PM
Oh it's on! Team Charcoal vs Team Coal!

Charcoal takes too long to make! Coal is already there when you need it.
---
If you believe in Bridget, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100 % proud of it, put this in your sig.
#10RudigerPosted 5/16/2012 12:04:05 PM
Also why is coal a better fuel for the furnace? Does it burn your materials down faster? I usually just use wood planks as fuel.

Coal is the same as charcoal for furnace purposes, but you burn wood to create the charcoal so it's more hassle. Even though wood is renewable, coal is so plentiful that I would have to use all the easily found coal before I would use charcoal for torch-making and my main furnace fuel.

Wood planks have a really short burn time compared to coal and charcoal. Around 10 coal will smelt a stack of iron, and it takes about 40 wood planks.
---