How am I going to get rid of all this lava?

#1ZZTrashPosted 6/4/2012 9:02:33 AM
So I've been working on this underground city, and I've run in to sort of a problem, in that I've hit a major patch of lava. Now normally, I just kind of try to dig around the area, contain it, and eventually turn it into sort of a "lava fountain". The problem in this case is that I've hit a MAJOR lava source. I'm talking about a 12 by 10 area (at least) that is about 8 blocks higher than "ground level, and probably the first 4 layers or so are "source" layers, meaning that when I poured water on it, I just ended up with lava under a layer of obsidian, which is a major pain. It's so massive, it's extremely hard to work around, by the time I get around it, I hit another lava source.

I've taken bucketfuls from it, with no noticeable decrease in the amount of lava. It's as though it is able to respawn.

I tried dumping water on it, throwing piles of gravel into it, digging around it, walling it in, etc. but these methods are extremely time consuming, and hazardous. If there a method to this I should be following? Any suggestions?
---
M. Bison's plan for world domination included "Win karate tournament." That's just awesome.
#2glassghost0Posted 6/4/2012 9:06:13 AM
when you place a block either where water or lava is it deletes the water or lava. So just block in all of the lava and then mine the stone again and the lava will be deleted
---
Check out my Youtube Videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/GlassGhost0/videos
#3ZZTrash(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 9:19:10 AM
That's what I've tried doing, but the sheer size of this lava spill is presenting some unique challenges. There isn't much for me to attach blocks to (which is why I attempted gravel dumping from above. Sticking blocks closer to the bottom results in spills. And it takes FOREVER.

I should have been more specific. I know HOW to get rid of it in a general sense, but if anyone knows a really methodical, efficient method to either get rid of it, or even just contain it (I could build a dummy building around it, with a "do not enter" sign) I'd really appreciate it.
---
M. Bison's plan for world domination included "Win karate tournament." That's just awesome.
#4David_Mills7Posted 6/4/2012 9:21:13 AM
Flood it with water maybe? Get a lot of Obsidian that way possibly. But mining that much obsidian would be probably more time consuming than just filling it in.
#5glassghost0Posted 6/4/2012 9:22:31 AM
that is the gonna be the fastest method, unless it's flowing lava, in that case you need to find the source block and remove it, but remember that lava takes time to disappear unlike water
---
Check out my Youtube Videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/GlassGhost0/videos
#6ZanderKaboosePosted 6/4/2012 9:25:33 AM
Fastest way I've found is to use gravel. It falls to the bottom. Just stack until you reach the top. It's a great lava killer
---
See my opinion is superior because I refuted your statement without actually arguing anything. ~JDM_Jev
#7Jahozafat124Posted 6/4/2012 10:53:57 AM
actually i have found a massive lava pit in my world as well, and whenever i dig around trying to find the bottom of it, i find more lava, although i don't plan on doing what the TC is planning, what i do to save myself is start a water flow just above the obsidian layer, and then dig down, if you don't want the obsidian, just dig into the rocks/dirt/gravel and any new lava source should be instantly turned to obsidian. Just pay attention to how the water is flowing and you should be fine (have noticed a few bugs where water doesn't flow the way its supposed to and only seems to make a b-line for the nearest way down without spreading out)

also as for the dropping gravel into lava solution, for whatever reason it seems that whenever i do that the gravel gets burned up and nothing happens, and ive even dug down the side of the pit and put tons of it in one area, no gravel at the bottom of it.
---
To those that claim to have no religion, sorry you grew up without a dictionary.
Religion is having a belief, you believe in nothing.
#8Chuck_BosworthPosted 6/4/2012 10:55:09 AM
ZanderKaboose posted...
Fastest way I've found is to use gravel. It falls to the bottom. Just stack until you reach the top. It's a great lava killer

Yes, gravel or sand is the best way if you just want to get rid of lava.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#9Gameover2377Posted 6/4/2012 11:15:26 AM
tnt maybe?
#10DarkSamurai2004Posted 6/4/2012 11:18:29 AM
Gameover2377 posted...
tnt maybe?

Liquids absorb explosions and automatically set their blast radius to 0 blocks. You'd only accomplish making the lake bigger since you'd have to put it on the edge anyway.
---
Work-In-Progress old school RPG on X360&PS3, check it out and like/share please so it can be noticed and made!
www.facebook.com/ShadeHandofFate