The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Making a lightning rod?

#1WolfywomanPosted 6/10/2012 4:10:52 PM
Right, so, I've been browsing google for a bit and I've only found 'you don't have permission to view this topic' and arguements over what is and is not in the game. As a poster said, I just want to know if I could stack iron blocks to a certain height to make lightning strike it/around it.

I'm specifically trying to create some pigmen in the main world, and I figure a lightning rod is a better route than putting them in a floating pen and hoping they don't just vanish.
#2VividAxisPosted 6/10/2012 7:19:04 PM
There is a mod that lets you craft lightning rods from iron ingots, but there is nothing like that in the base game and iron blocks will never attract lightning.
#3Wolfywoman(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2012 8:17:34 PM
VividAxis posted...
There is a mod that lets you craft lightning rods from iron ingots, but there is nothing like that in the base game and iron blocks will never attract lightning.

Ah, thanks. I'm playing Xbox version, so no mods for me unfortunately. Is there anything that makes it even a little more likely; are higher structures programmed to attract more lightning, or something?
#4Marcx629Posted 6/10/2012 9:09:51 PM
From what I've heard, lightning is a totally random event that does not depend on any outside factors.
---
In case of a Zombie Apocalypse, follow me!
Add my 3DS FC: 2535-4356-9059 Name:Marcx
#5VividAxisPosted 6/10/2012 11:57:18 PM
Sorry to have to tell you this but there's no other way (besides lightning rods) to attract lightning. Elevation, location, water, materials.. nothing effects it. It's strike point is totally random and it's coded into the game engine so there's no way to modify how it behaves (on the xbox version) without hacking your console. I can't give you many tips on it, but from my personal experience thunderstorms seem to occur more often in a dry area. By dry I mean green grass that is dark or almost brown. I can't back that observation up with any data, but it happens all the time when I'm in those types of areas. In fact, the seed I'm using on the xbox is 8700829340959843130. If you go to the top center of the map you'll find a large flat area with barely any trees and a relatively small hill on the north end. I've been building/living in that area for a few weeks and thunderstorms (inherently with lightning) are happening at least once every 2 or 3 days. It's so frequent that it's almost annoying, but luckily I've only had a bolt hit near me once so far. I don't think there's a good solution for what you're wanting to do.
#6Wolfywoman(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2012 9:03:26 PM
Marcx629 posted...
From what I've heard, lightning is a totally random event that does not depend on any outside factors.

Ack, seems so. Thanks for heads up!

VividAxis posted...
Sorry to have to tell you this but there's no other way (besides lightning rods) to attract lightning. Elevation, location, water, materials.. nothing effects it. It's strike point is totally random and it's coded into the game engine so there's no way to modify how it behaves (on the xbox version) without hacking your console. I can't give you many tips on it, but from my personal experience thunderstorms seem to occur more often in a dry area. By dry I mean green grass that is dark or almost brown. I can't back that observation up with any data, but it happens all the time when I'm in those types of areas. In fact, the seed I'm using on the xbox is 8700829340959843130. If you go to the top center of the map you'll find a large flat area with barely any trees and a relatively small hill on the north end. I've been building/living in that area for a few weeks and thunderstorms (inherently with lightning) are happening at least once every 2 or 3 days. It's so frequent that it's almost annoying, but luckily I've only had a bolt hit near me once so far. I don't think there's a good solution for what you're wanting to do.

Ah, thanks so much for the post, then. I'll be sure to try to check out that seed! I figured the lack of zombie pigmen armies on youtube was a bad sign. I wonder if 4J could be talked into including some way of increasing the chance of it in a future update... -Heads off to twitter-