How to Prevent Crops from being Trampled

#1XBL_Mikey0629Posted 6/12/2012 12:51:54 PM
For those who have problems with animals spawning inside of your fenced area and destroying your crops this is a great solution for you.
All that you will need to do this is an 1:1 ratio of fence post to crops planted.
To get started hollow out the ground below your crops by atleast 2 blocks. Once you have done this, place a block of anything on the bottom block below the crop and then place a fence post so that it is wedged between the crop and that block. Go to the crop with the fence post to test this out and walk on top of it. This should allow you or an animal to walk over the crop freely without causing the seeds to pop out.
---
X-Box Live GT: Mikey0629
Currently Playing: Halo, Battlefield 3, Minecraft, Borderlands
#2TBD2009Posted 6/12/2012 1:48:39 PM
...so wait... if you have a fence under your crop like this:

[C]
[F]
[D]

Where [C] is the crop at ground level, [F] is the fence block on the layer below the crop, and [D] is either a dirt block, or any other random block... the wheat won't automatically "despawn" itself when it gets trampled, and can be harvested normally, by punching it?

That's pretty amazing. I'm going to have to try this out, since I ~like~ "open air farming", but hate having Sheep jumping up and down on my Wheat going "F*** yo crops, Charlie Murphy! What am I gonna do about my WOOL Charlie Murphy?!".
#3XBL_Mikey0629(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2012 4:02:02 PM
that is correct
---
#4ZZTrashPosted 6/12/2012 4:07:55 PM
I just plant crops on the roof of a building. Throw a few torches up there to keep the monsters away, and it works pretty well.
---
M. Bison's plan for world domination included "Win karate tournament." That's just awesome.
#5lord_abortionPosted 6/12/2012 4:41:58 PM
TBD2009 posted...
...so wait... if you have a fence under your crop like this:

[C]
[F]
[D]

Where [C] is the crop at ground level, [F] is the fence block on the layer below the crop, and [D] is either a dirt block, or any other random block... the wheat won't automatically "despawn" itself when it gets trampled, and can be harvested normally, by punching it?

That's pretty amazing. I'm going to have to try this out, since I ~like~ "open air farming", but hate having Sheep jumping up and down on my Wheat going "F*** yo crops, Charlie Murphy! What am I gonna do about my WOOL Charlie Murphy?!".

No, incorrect lol. You can't plant things on fences:

[C]
[D]
[F]
---
GT: StrangeAnima1
#6TBD2009Posted 6/12/2012 4:47:12 PM
What I meant was "the [C] is the block of dirt above the fence block, which you will use a hoe on to turn into a 'tilled dirt block' to plant your crops on.". Heh.

But seriously, if this works as well as I hope it does, I can make some really pretty wheat farms on my flying island, without having to worry about it getting trampled on. It seems that after placing grasslands on my island, passive mobs now have a chance to show up there (I caught a cow ten blocks shy of being ON my island... and it's in the cloud layer).
#7XBL_Mikey0629(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2012 6:10:44 PM
TBD2009 posted...
What I meant was "the [C] is the block of dirt above the fence block, which you will use a hoe on to turn into a 'tilled dirt block' to plant your crops on.". Heh.

But seriously, if this works as well as I hope it does, I can make some really pretty wheat farms on my flying island, without having to worry about it getting trampled on. It seems that after placing grasslands on my island, passive mobs now have a chance to show up there (I caught a cow ten blocks shy of being ON my island... and it's in the cloud layer).

That's right on the nose. It works and works well I might add. I've done it on my games, and on a friends game.
---
#8TBD2009Posted 6/13/2012 4:17:31 PM
Sorry for the massively delayed reply here, but I can confirm for 100% that this works beautifully. Not only does it keep naturally grown wheat safe, but it prevents the tilled blocks from returning to "normal blocks". I even did a test with Bonemeal to make sure that artificially grown crops could survive my walking all over it.

This is a wonderful trick, so thank you very much for sharing it.