How do I delete the update?

#11David_Mills7Posted 6/15/2012 7:23:40 AM
patches for other games will need to be downloaded again. That's about it.
#12StnkyWizleTeetsPosted 6/15/2012 7:24:41 AM
DiggerMaster posted...
What are the risks of clearing the cache? Will any other games on my system be affected?

All games will be affected. As far as I know all it does is delete any updates you have downloaded. So any game you play after you clear the cache will need to be updated again.
#13MephystoPosted 6/15/2012 8:52:37 AM(edited)
StnkyWizleTeets posted...
DiggerMaster posted...
What are the risks of clearing the cache? Will any other games on my system be affected?

All games will be affected. As far as I know all it does is delete any updates you have downloaded. So any game you play after you clear the cache will need to be updated again.

Updates should really be saved individually somewhere in memory too (and i could be wrong here, so don't quote me on it, lol!). I'm not at home to check, but when i get home from work tonight, i'll apply the patch then check my harddrive and see if the patch is stored on memory alongside your game saves. If it is then you should be able to delete it without affecting any other game... i'll check later and let you know if it is or not.
#14subconsPosted 6/15/2012 9:34:17 AM
It depends on the game from what I've observed. Some games put an update file in the folder of that game. Others just store updates in the cache. I've only noticed the former in the past year or so though. Before, updates were always stored in the cache.
#15Deathx113Posted 6/15/2012 10:02:39 AM
Mephysto posted...
StnkyWizleTeets posted...
If you want to play online you need the update. You can only play single player if you delete it. With that said.

Go to the settings tab on the dashboard. Select System. Then select Storage. With the HDD highlighted press the Y button for device options. Then select Clear System Cache.

^^^^ that should do it. and yes, you won't be able to play online... BUT... you should still be able to play offline multiplayer, so nothing should be stopping you from duping a bunch of materials offline in an un-patched game (with a second controller plugged in as guest), putting them in a bunch of different chests (which should then store them the same as standard non-duped material), then downloading the patch and taking your world back online with all those extra stacks of material in your chests. As far as i know, this should be a viable workaround for duping if you're really inclined to do so....

They patched the bug, but dupers should still be able to dupe... just with a few extra hoops in the way to jump through.

You can also dupe with 1 controller/single player.

Just use tnt; that's how I do it most of the time.
---
What did the aldehyde say when it found the carboxylic acid hiding? "oic Acid!" har har har- Deathx113
#16Purple_BenderPosted 6/15/2012 10:06:34 AM
subcons posted...
It depends on the game from what I've observed. Some games put an update file in the folder of that game. Others just store updates in the cache. I've only noticed the former in the past year or so though. Before, updates were always stored in the cache.

Its the size of the update. Updates smaller than 6mb are stored in the cache. Updates larger than that are stored in the hard drive as "Title Updates", and can be found in the folder for that game.

I see a lot of people are suggesting deleting the patch, duping, and then patching. Well, you can do that, but if you've already applied the patch to your world, you won't be able to revert to a previous version, ever. Its just like with Skyrim, everybody wanted to go back to patch 1.3 after patch 1.4 came out, but you can't because the patches add new content that can't simply be "taken away" from the save file. Once a save has been patched, its patched for life.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: EnergyTurtle23
#17SEA_Posted 6/15/2012 10:10:25 AM
Sheeeeepy posted...
isn't Minecraft an online only game?

no. why the hell would you think that?
---
Chargers, Padres, Clippers, SDSU, LMU
http://www.last.fm/user/astevetsa
#18mercenary666666Posted 6/15/2012 10:25:56 AM
you just have to go to your storage and delete it from the minecraft folder.
#19VividAxisPosted 6/15/2012 10:35:42 AM
Has anyone actually tried to load the patch, open a save, save the game, go offline, remove the patch, then open the save? Until then all you have are opinions and guesses. You don't know if it will work until you try it and it seems no one here has tried it.
---
My xbox Minecraft world
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1397/teamzrominecraftworld01.png
#20hades-flamePosted 6/18/2012 7:28:27 PM
VividAxis posted...
Has anyone actually tried to load the patch, open a save, save the game, go offline, remove the patch, then open the save? Until then all you have are opinions and guesses. You don't know if it will work until you try it and it seems no one here has tried it.

After searching the net for an answer to this question and finding none, I went ahead and did it myself.

I accepted the update, created an entirely new game with the patch, dug around until I had the necessary components to make the Dispenser, and then saved the game and exited. I then followed the instructions posted earlier in this thread and cleared my Xbox's cache, which, to confirm, did remove the patch from the game. After launching Minecraft, declining the update and accepting to play offline only, I found that I was able to load the game I had created with no issues.

Remember, this was a game entirely created post-patch, with no pre-patch history whatsoever. Interestingly, my settings for gamma, music, and look sensitivity had been changed back to default, but that was hardly a setback.

Anyway, like I said, the game loaded and functioned like normal pre-patch, and the duplication glitch did indeed work with no problems. So I made a few "magic stacks" as I've heard them called (item stacks resultant of the duplication glitch that can supply unlimited normal item stacks by placing with X), stored them in a chest, saved the game, and re-downloaded the patch. I then opened the same game and found my magic stacks to still be there. I was able to pick the magic stack out of the chest and place unlimited amounts of normal stacks by pressing X, just like we were able to pre-patch.

However, this is where things began to behave differently. Upon placing the magic stack itself in any inventory, hot bar, or chest square, it broke and became unusable. Actually, it placed a normal stack of 64, then another normal stack of 64, then another stack of normal 64 before finally deselecting. So when picking up a magic stack for the FIRST TIME after loading a save game, it will behave like a normal, pre-patch magic stack, but after putting that magic stack back in a square, it will place a normal 64 stack and you'll have to place two more before getting it "out of your hand/cursor"

So I've confirmed that the cache-clearing workaround for the duplication glitch does indeed remove the patch and allows for duplication even on maps that were generated and saved entirely post-patch, so no worries there; however, I've also confirmed that the magic stacks generated this way do NOT behave the same in post-patch games as they do in pre-patch games, although many people have claimed that they do.

If you want to duplicate and be able to benefit from it without having to stay offline to build, then my suggestion is to clear your cache, decline the update and stay offline, load the game you wish to duplicate in, then duplicate and use the magic stacks to fill a bunch of chests with different materials, essentially creating a supply warehouse that you can use in the post-patch game. After doing this, place the magic stacks in a separate chest so you can keep track of them, but don't touch those stacks in the post-patch game. That way, if you do happen to run out of materials in the post-patch game, you can use those magic stacks to fill your inventory with normal stacks before the magic stack breaks instead of having to quit and go through the workaround all over again.

One last thing: now that I think about it, the magic stack might only break when you push A to place the whole thing in a square. Perhaps it's worth a try to see if you can load a post-patch game, use a magic stack to create normal stacks, and then drop it off the side of the inventory window so you can pick it up again... Just a thought.

Hope this clears up some things for people looking for answers about this just like I was.