Minecraft Duplication Glitch - A Guide

#1MidnightxWalkerPosted 6/16/2012 10:26:21 AM
Getting Around The Patch:

With the patch that was applied yesterday the duplication glitch was fixed. Fortunately there is a workaround. All you have to do is delete the patch from your XBox's memory. Since you can't play a game online without applying all of the patches this means you'll have to do the first part offline. However, as I'll get into in a bit, once you do the initial setup you can continue to duplicate after reinstalling the patch and going online.

Basic Duplication

Ok ,so here is the part that most people are familiar with. The first step of duplication is to place the item you want to duplicate into a dispenser and have it be destroyed (either by a splitscreen player or TNT) while you still have the dispenser menu open. When the dispenser is destroyed you'll see that whatever you placed in it suddenly shows as being a stack of 64 regardless of how many you started with, even if the item is not normally stackable. These are no ordinary stacks, however, and we have come to call them magic stacks.

You can create nine magic stacks at once. An important thing to avoid is picking up anymore of whatever you're trying to duplicate, because that will destroy the magic stack. Since the dispenser will still drop whatever you put into it when it's destroyed I typically stand as far back as possible from it and have the second player stand on top of it as he's breaking it so he'll pick everything up.

Anyway, once you've made your magic stacks all you have to do is pickup the stack with A, hover over an empty spot in your inventory or a chest and place it by holding X. Using Y to quick move a magic stack will always destroy it. If the item is stackable you will be able to place 64 of them and as soon as you place the last one you'll see the quantity of the magic stack jump from 1 back up to 64. Anything that you place with X will be completely normal and usable, so you'll only be able to place one per slot if it isn't stackable. I guess I should also mention that the magic stacks are not usable as a normal item, and attempting to use them will usually result in the magic stack being destroyed, which is why it's best to avoid placing them in the hot bar (active inventory) altogether unless attempting one of the advanced techniques I've described below.

Magic stacks are infinite and will retain their magical properties even if stored in another dispenser/chest. You'll likely want to keep the magic stack for further duplication which is why I store them in a separate chest or keep them in the bottom right hand slots in order to not confuse them with normal stacks.

Once you've made your magic stacks you can reapply the patch and go online. The patch only fixed the ability to create magic stacks with a dispenser, it does not remove the stack's magical properties.
#2MidnightxWalker(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 10:26:51 AM
ADVANCED TECHNIQUES

Usable Magic Stacks

Ok, here is where it starts to get pretty cool. Once you've used your magic stack to duplicate you can place it into your hot bar and possibly get an infinite usable stack. Once you've placed it close your inventory and look at your hot bar; if it shows any quantity at all it worked, but if it shows only a single item then you'll want to use the stack to duplicate some more and then try again. It seems to work better when you only have one stack of that particular item in your inventory.

Usable magic stacks can show quantities greater than 64, and when they roll over they will jump up to 255. This is particularly handy when done with porkchops, arrows, or any blocks you need a lot of for a large build. Placing/using them one at a time seems to always work, however if you hold down either L or R it will sometimes destroy the stack. Also opening a chest/dispenser/furnace or hitting something while holding a usable magic stack will usually destroy it.

Duplicating Magic Stacks

It's actually much quicker to duplicate magic stacks than it is to use them to create normal stacks. To duplicate your magic stack you must first make it into a usable magic stack. When doing this you'll want to make sure that you do not have any more stacks (either magical or normal) of what you're trying to dupe. Once you have your usable magic stack walk up to a chest and drop it using be. When you use be while holding a usable magic stack it will create what I call an infinite drop. Standing over your infinite drop with an open hot bar slot will allow you to pick up a single magic stack (sometimes usable but often not), and if you're standing in front of a chest you can move that magic stack into the chest and as soon as you place it (with A not X) another will take it's place in your hot bar. Using this method you can quickly fill an entire chest with magic stacks.

Also infinite drops seem to have their own crazy properties that vary item to item. For example going near a cooked porkchop infinite drop will fill your entire inventory with cooked pork chops. A map infinite drop will fill your inventory will map magic stacks. Since this can be a bit of a nuisance it's best to avoid infinite drops once your done with them and let them disappear on their own.

tl;dr - Welcome to creative mode.
#3VividAxisPosted 6/16/2012 10:35:07 AM
Infinite Items in the Hotbar
After the Dispenser is destroyed by TNT or a friend, and you are still in the Dispenser menu:
1) Grab a stack of items from the Dispenser by pressing A.
2) Drop 2 of them back into the slot you took them from by pressing X twice.
3) Place the stack in your hotbar.

Now you have 253 of those items that you can place anywhere.
When it gets down to 0 it will go back to 255 and repeat forever, until you leave and restart the game.
If you hit an animal or other player with an infinite item, that item stack will disappear.
---
My xbox Minecraft world
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1397/teamzrominecraftworld01.png
#4HeartlessCharmsPosted 6/16/2012 10:37:59 AM
Minecraft Cheating Thread - A Guide
---
PSN = Heartlessmac
Xbox Live = Munch Emm
#5MidnightxWalker(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 10:39:56 AM
VividAxis posted...
Infinite Items in the Hotbar
After the Dispenser is destroyed by TNT or a friend, and you are still in the Dispenser menu:
1) Grab a stack of items from the Dispenser by pressing A.
2) Drop 2 of them back into the slot you took them from by pressing X twice.
3) Place the stack in your hotbar.

Now you have 253 of those items that you can place anywhere.
When it gets down to 0 it will go back to 255 and repeat forever, until you leave and restart the game.
If you hit an animal or other player with an infinite item, that item stack will disappear.

I guess you didn't read the second post, huh? :p

Anyway, the number of items you have to dupe before the stack can be usable in the hot bar seems to vary based on the item. For example, cooked porkchops seem to work after only placing one, however other items I've had to make multiple stacks before it became usable.
#6MidnightxWalker(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 10:41:39 AM
HeartlessCharms posted...
Minecraft Cheating Thread - A Guide

I have literally never used a glitch to gain an advantage in a multiplayer game even though I've found many. Given that this is a non-competive sandbox game I have absolutely no qualms about doing this.

You play the game how you want to and I respect that. Please offer me the same courtesy.
#7VividAxisPosted 6/16/2012 11:36:17 AM
Didn't know that this was only your topic. I read the entire thing and was trying to help by offering a method I found and have been using for the last few weeks. I'll go somewhere else. Sorry to bother you.
---
My xbox Minecraft world
#8MidnightxWalker(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 11:39:01 AM
VividAxis posted...
Didn't know that this was only your topic. I read the entire thing and was trying to help by offering a method I found and have been using for the last few weeks. I'll go somewhere else. Sorry to bother you.

Lol, I wasn't trying to insult you, only pointing out that in the second post I describe the exact same method that you did.
#9VividAxisPosted 6/16/2012 11:47:42 AM
With my method you always get an infinite stack, it's very easy to do, and I explained it with only a few words . With yours you "possibly get an infinite usable stack". I wouldn't call them the same because they're not. I'm tired of this community anyways. It's not you. I acknowledge that you're trying to help everyone and that's rare. Good job. Keep it up. I'm out.
---
My xbox Minecraft world
#10solid_slickPosted 6/16/2012 11:59:00 AM
How do I delete the patch. Don't want to accidentally delete the wrong file. Thanks