Slime farming. A few tips I've learned)...

#1MenuWarsPosted 6/19/2012 4:55:06 PM
...Mostly from experimenting and bumming around.

1) Dig down to level 8, and make as many 4x4 tunnels as possible.

2)Light these tunnels up like a christmas tree, no shadows anywhere. To do this place torches a maximum of five spaces away from each other. Personally I use four spaces.

3) Patrol these tunnels until you find a slime.

4) Kill the slime then use where you think it spawned as the centre point for your farm. Dig in a 30 long by 4 high tunnel in all four directions from this central point and join them to create a 60 x 60 farm. farming space.

5) Light this up like a christmas tree too. :D

6) Hopefully you can travel 40 blocks away from this area then return after a minutes wait to behold a huge amount of bouncy slime goodness.

7)When killing slimes only the small ones seem to drop slime balls. To get the larger ones to split you must either shoot them with arrows or punch them. Circle strafing while punching seems to render their attacks pretty much useless, this is the method I use.

8) Once they're in their smallest form any type of attack should kill them and get you your valuable loot so use whatever you're comfortable with and hopefully profit.

I'm sure there are better guides out there but with more topics appearing I figured I'd try and help people the best I could....feel free to throw any tips you have in here.

Good luck getting ready for the Pistons update all.
---
A Troll is a Troll, unless it's an ugly Giant.
~Troll Cannibalism 101~
#2Akiba69Posted 6/19/2012 5:29:59 PM
i didnt think slimes were even in this version
#3MenuWars(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:35:11 PM
1) There's a picture of them in the kills leaderboard with a number underneath so yeah I was pretty certain they were here.

2) I've got a slime farm up and running with my above method and currently have three stacks of slimeballs.

3) If you could inform the ignorant (me.) Of how many slime balls are needed for sticky pistons I'd be most grateful.
---
~Troll Cannibalism 101~
#4Sora448Posted 6/19/2012 5:37:35 PM
Just to add once you have the 60x60 area make multiple levels each 4 blocks high to hopefully increase spawns.

Also I dunno how similar the the seeds are with Xbox and PC but on common seeds like gargamel you can probably look up coordinates of slime chunks close to you and use those for a farm, again if slime chunks are the same in every incarnation of a seed.
---
Me fail English? That's unpossible! --Ralph Wiggum
#5phillipollPosted 6/19/2012 5:51:51 PM
MenuWars posted...
1) 3) If you could inform the ignorant (me.) Of how many slime balls are needed for sticky pistons I'd be most grateful.

1 Slimeball, 1 Piston.
---
You can't play most of this game without an expansion pak! ... I ashoom you have one?
#6MenuWars(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:53:31 PM
Thank you kindly, I can afford to stop farming now then. I just wanted to make sure I had enough for a hundred sticky pistons as I can't see me needing anymore than that for a good while.
---
~Troll Cannibalism 101~
#7MenuWars(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 5:58:33 PM
Also just to note slimes won't spawn above level 16 from what I've heard until a later update. I have no idea what update that is sorry. So if you are making it into multi layers start from bedrock so you have room for three/ possibly four, depending on how the spawn system works, levels of usable farm space.

I found they appeared more regularly at level 8 for me which is why I suggested it as your starting layer. There might be nothing to this but it worked for me.
---
~Troll Cannibalism 101~
#8GreenDemon66Posted 6/19/2012 8:34:54 PM
In two separate maps I cleared out some area at bedrock level.

In one map I saw a small slime spawn from a stone overhanging at around sea level. In the other map I saw a large slime spawn in a cavern nowhere near the area I had cleared out.

So it seems that maybe all we need to do is clear out an area at bedrock level to make them spawn in random places.

Also, I had it on peaceful.
#9Mariofan_101Posted 6/19/2012 10:23:03 PM
How long are your 4x4 tunnels because I find myself constantly digging into laving and having to change directions after about say 50 blocks in
---
Gamertag: ShoRt MiKe x
#10MenuWars(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2012 10:33:29 PM
I make mine massive to be honest, but so long as you travel at least 16 blocks further before changing directions you're reaching a new chunk so that should be sufficient.

As an added tip if lavas getting on your nerves dig above it and fill it in with gravity blocks like sand or gravel.

I'm also pretty sure that slimes don't spawn on Peaceful mode too so unless someone can confirm they do with a video, I'd say ignore that part.
---
~Troll Cannibalism 101~