Linking Nether Portals

#1GabrielRayvenPosted 7/8/2012 5:18:14 PM
Ok, so here is what I am doing, I have a tower that I want to put a Portal in. From there, there is a second structure that is exactly 107 blocks away that I want another portal to be in, where I can travel through the nether to get to. So, doing the math, my second portal in the nether should be roughly 35 blocks away? Thoughts?
---
Leader of the Order of the Philosophical Scamp! XBL GAMERTAG: Gabriel Rayven
#2gamingratPosted 7/8/2012 5:23:47 PM
GabrielRayven posted...
Ok, so here is what I am doing, I have a tower that I want to put a Portal in. From there, there is a second structure that is exactly 107 blocks away that I want another portal to be in, where I can travel through the nether to get to. So, doing the math, my second portal in the nether should be roughly 35 blocks away? Thoughts?

It will probably take you to your first portal in the nether, and you will come back out at your first protal in the normal world. I had something like that happen to me. What you will need to do if this happens is to try to make a portal in the nether close enough that it will connect to your new portal in the normal world
#3pj44055Posted 7/11/2012 12:31:31 PM
Here's what I was told to do. (I was told 2 players are necessary.)

First, create your first portal and link it to one in the Nether, which you've already done.

Second, create a second portal on "Earth." When going through that one, it should link up with the first portal inside the Nether (instead of creating a new one). However, upon going through the one and only portal you have in the Nether, it should transport you to your original portal back on Earth.

Now, with that knowledge in hand, you want to have one player stand inside the Nether, while the other stands outside portal #2 on Earth. The player inside the Nether needs to destroy the portal, then, once that is done, the player on Earth walks through portal #2.

Doing that should create a second portal inside the Nether. After reconstructing and reactivating the original portal in the Nether, you should now have two portals that can be used to travel, even if the X and Z coordinates are roughly the same.

Distance doesn't matter when doing it this way. I have two portals whose X and Z coordinates are roughly the same, but have vastly different Y coordinates, that I was able to sort of "connect" within the Nether. Unfortunately, the amount of walking I have to do once inside the Nether I had not anticipated, so my original idea of connecting and underground portal to a sky portal fell through rather quickly. Still, I can vouch that this method works, so it is what it is.

I've also just recently watched a video on how to sync up portals without walking through them, but I haven't gotten to test it out to see if I can fix the problem I encountered. Still, here's the video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPASE9fmjc&feature=related
---
Wii FC: 3351-9107-3724-8137 Name: PJ
XBOX LIVE Gamertag/PSN ID: Vash8806
#4ProdrivertnPosted 7/11/2012 1:47:41 PM
I have three portals, one in my compound, one in the center of the map at level 14 and one at the south central end of my map at the waters edge. The first two take me to the neither and return me to my compound. The southern one takes me to a new place in the neither which I haven't explored yet and back to my southern portal. I hoped they would all return my compound for fast travel after mining.
---
PSN- tnfedexman Add for GT5 remote racing, car sharing, and item trading.