I have been playing since 1.7.3 PC but have never really used cart tracks, help?

#1konkorPosted 7/11/2012 1:43:56 PM(edited)
Like the title says, I have been playing Minecraft since the 1.7.3 Beta on PC. But I have never, ever used mine carts. I've never seen the point, most of my creations house everything locally with no need to travel long distance. But lately me and my friend have been building an underwater base and although I like to keep my stuff local my friend would like a minecart to take him from the base to the land, so I dug a huge 3x3 tunnel from the base to the land.

I used pressure plated tracks, power tracks and buttons to get the cart from 1 place to the next. I used a normal track so that when the cart gets to the other side it loses power and slows down. But this is my question, the answer is most likely no... Is there any way I can recall the cart, say if my friend was at the mainland and I was in the base. I could maybe press a button and the cart on the other end is powered and sent back?
#2Chuck_BosworthPosted 7/11/2012 1:43:31 PM
Yes, but it would require a lot more redstone work and more powered tracks as empty carts don't have as much inertia as carts with players in them. My solution is to just keep chests with carts at them at both ends, it's easier, and lazier.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#3konkor(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 1:45:51 PM
Well the entire track is powered, I have only 3 normal track bits. 1 for the corner piece and then 1 at each end to slow the cart down. Between are pressure plated to keep the flow going once the cart has left, wiring it up wouldn't bother me as long as it worked. I tried looking for a guide or something similar but all I seem to find is stuff involving pistons or stuff not available in 1.6.6.
#4Chuck_BosworthPosted 7/11/2012 1:53:40 PM(edited)
Pretty much you just need to connect a button at the top/bottom to a powered track at the other end using redstone. My suggestion would be to tie it in to the button which launches you to begin with. You would most likely have to make two things of wires though, because the repeaters will only send in one direction.

Edit: Or when you get to a place you need a repeater, split the redstone on either side and have a repeater going each direction.
---
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?
#5RudigerPosted 7/11/2012 2:08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK07p_isYYM

He lets it run into nightfall so it's kind of hard to follow later on, but I think this can be done with items available in 1.6.6. He doesn't use repeaters. He uses torches connected by redstone wire, so they act like a chain of inverters. He mentions it in the video, but it's important to note that you will need to check spacing near the ends so that the state of the last redstone torch will be correct.

As Chuck noted, empty carts lose momentum quickly, so it will take a lot of powered track but maybe not quite as much as the youtube video shows.
---
#6konkor(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2012 2:18:49 PM
Rudiger posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK07p_isYYM

He lets it run into nightfall so it's kind of hard to follow later on, but I think this can be done with items available in 1.6.6. He doesn't use repeaters. He uses torches connected by redstone wire, so they act like a chain of inverters. He mentions it in the video, but it's important to note that you will need to check spacing near the ends so that the state of the last redstone torch will be correct.

As Chuck noted, empty carts lose momentum quickly, so it will take a lot of powered track but maybe not quite as much as the youtube video shows.

I was just about to post that for anyone looking to do the same, ironically I had never thought to search for "Minecart recall"... I'm an idiot. But thanks, I've just had a small test run and it seems to work properly, the only trouble I had was that I needed to change a small part of my track so that I had it like this:

X = Pressure Pad, R = Normal Rail, P = Powered Rail, S = Stopper

SPPRXPX--- I had to have this at both ends otherwise the cart would stop at any random point or glitch through the stone stopper... I probably overkilled it since my entire track is powered, the only normal rails I have are those at the beginning/end and corner.