Growing trees underground

#11Mr_Biggie_FryPosted 8/8/2012 12:59:27 PM
you can grow trees underground.

I grew 2 in the mine in the world I play in just to mess with people and to see if I could.
---
Gamertag:
Mr Biggie Fry
#12thisawesomedudePosted 8/8/2012 1:26:03 PM
LoneReaper115 posted...
BoxTheMuppet posted...
LoneReaper115 posted...
I'll show you my underground tree farm. The best wood for quantity is Oak, I think. From one harvest, I walked away with almost 2 stacks of wood. GT is: LoneReaper115, I will be on later this afternoon or so.

He lured me into his van with the very same speech.

.... I want to be helpful, I'm just not on a lot. And I have candy and puppies.

He gave me puppies as a world welcoming gift, true story
---
Wolfman Jack says this is a signature baby!
#13Master SplinterPosted 8/8/2012 1:30:16 PM
I made a park and wheat/sugar cane farm underground. I even put in a HUGE skylight to add to the aesthetic. Trees are super simple to grow. Dirt, a sapling, and bone meal for instant growth. A high ceiling is ideal as others have said. If you want grass around it, the easiest method is just giving yourself grass blocks in the save editor. If you don't want to do that I'll tell you what i did before the save editor. I dug a hole up through the ceiling till I hit grass. I got a bunch of dirt and made sure the grass I was connecting to had grass all around it. I then made a sort of stair case with dirt. I put it down like this:

d
dd
dd
ddd
ddd
dddd
dddd
ddddd

d=dirt of course.

I connected it all the way down and connected it to the dirt I wanted grass on. It took awhile, but eventually it all became covered in grass.
---
360/PS3. Befriend me if you wish: Gamertag/ PSN: Splinter MM. "Ignorance = language of GameFAQs" Myself
#14tzar_666Posted 8/8/2012 2:15:51 PM
Master Splinter posted...
I made a park and wheat/sugar cane farm underground. I even put in a HUGE skylight to add to the aesthetic. Trees are super simple to grow. Dirt, a sapling, and bone meal for instant growth. A high ceiling is ideal as others have said. If you want grass around it, the easiest method is just giving yourself grass blocks in the save editor. If you don't want to do that I'll tell you what i did before the save editor. I dug a hole up through the ceiling till I hit grass. I got a bunch of dirt and made sure the grass I was connecting to had grass all around it. I then made a sort of stair case with dirt. I put it down like this:

d
dd
dd
ddd
ddd
dddd
dddd
ddddd

d=dirt of course.

I connected it all the way down and connected it to the dirt I wanted grass on. It took awhile, but eventually it all became covered in grass.

i use glowstone a lot it looks cool. dont know if it counts as a light source though
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#15thisawesomedudePosted 8/8/2012 2:21:59 PM
Master Splinter posted...

d
dd
dd
ddd
ddd
dddd
dddd
ddddd

d=dirt of course.

Yeah the more dirt you have leading down the quicker the grass will grow. I usually go with a 3 wide dirt staircase

And yes glowstone counts as a light source.
---
Wolfman Jack says this is a signature baby!
#16tzar_666Posted 8/8/2012 2:26:52 PM
ok thats good i also use jackolanterns.
im loggin inti minecraft soon im gonna try glacier
right now im using diamonds
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#17KsilvantePosted 8/8/2012 3:13:12 PM
Am wondering on this subject. Gotta friend trying to make a tree farm on my server and thus far no soap. Plenty o' light, dirt of course but no grow. I even tried to use bonemeal on them and nothing happened. Confused...
---
Creative Insanity Consultants. Keeping things surreal for over 30 yrs!
#18Mander1861Posted 8/8/2012 3:43:05 PM
Ksilvante posted...
Am wondering on this subject. Gotta friend trying to make a tree farm on my server and thus far no soap. Plenty o' light, dirt of course but no grow. I even tried to use bonemeal on them and nothing happened. Confused...

Roof height.
---
An intelligent person does not need the promise of Heaven to see merit in a good deed.
Carl Sagans Pale Blue Dot ....Google it and get some perspective.
#19BoxTheMuppetPosted 8/8/2012 3:47:38 PM
Ksilvante posted...

It's not cold fusion. Dirt, sapling, light, (roof over 6 blocks).
I had two trees randomly grow on dirt I was clearing out last night without any sapling being planted. Spontaneous generation.
#20SuperAfroBoyPosted 8/8/2012 6:08:33 PM(edited)
As mentioned you need at least six blocks of height, but you also need four blocks on each side of the tree. And I've grown plenty of underground trees using just one block of dirt with a sapling, and a single torch on an adjacent block.

---
I had a vasectomy.