I mostly understand slime spawning...

#11I_Dont_Agree(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 6:42:26 AM
kinggoldfinger posted...
I like Y8 for my slime farms. Y4 is also pretty good. I usually just keep blasting out 3x3 chunks until a slime spawns. Some of my farms are very very large.

I'm tempted to go a bit higher, but I'm afraid I might miss out, because a lot of the sources/ videos I've seen were right on top of bedrock, and they've been successful.

Though I'm wondering, if I made a 16 x 16 x 3 room at bedrock, then make another right on top, and possibly another on that, would it function more efficiently (make more spawn possibilities) or would it be a waste of time?
---
''It's hot as hell in here.'' ''You see it too? For me, it's always like this.''
James, Angela- Silent Hill 2
#12Talon5967Posted 8/13/2012 7:45:47 AM
If your room isn't in a slime chunk, you'll never get anything. When I first started a slime farm, I expanded the bottom of a 10x10 hole I dug to bedrock (wanted to put my nether portal down there; gate to hell at the bottom of the deepest hole in the world) out to 100x100.

Later I checked a slime finder tool, and found that my area only had one slime chunk in it, and was at the edge of 5 others. I dug out tunnels to encompass the nearby slime chunks, and it now covers 7. Switched to easy and had a small, a medium, and three large slimes spawn within the first 5 minutes. Haven't gone back down since, as those first few gave me all the sticky pistons I need at this point in time. I've also been too busy with my 125x125 castle. Trying to build a level floor in those dimensions, and it's taking a while. In the meantime, I'm only getting more ideas of stuff I want to build next. Up to four at the moment.

The main part of my slime farm is on top of bedrock, which shows on the map as Y:4. There is a second smaller level at Y:11, but it only covers two slime chunks. I would have dug it out to add two more, but as I already said, I had enough slimeballs by the time I decided to.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Gamertag: Talon Omega
#13imthestuntmanPosted 8/13/2012 7:51:19 AM
i make a 16x16 room at y13 and they are always enormously successful (when located with slime finder)

and the 13x13 area will be useless if there are no slime to be find in the area. which is more likely than not.
#14I_Dont_Agree(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 8:01:47 AM
^To the two above:

I understand that the farm must intersect slime chunks for them to spawn, but I didn't dig the pit specifically for a farm (my brother did, for some reason) I just wanted a farm, so I understand that it might not work.

But I am now in the process of making a new one, and using a finder, specifically this one (since no others work on my computer):

http://mcslimes.appspot.com/index.jsp

But I'm not sure if it's Xbox-compatible. Hopefully I can check if the pit has chunks, or find a good place for my new one.
---
''It's hot as hell in here.'' ''You see it too? For me, it's always like this.''
#15Talon5967Posted 8/13/2012 8:12:55 AM
I_Dont_Agree posted...
^To the two above:

I understand that the farm must intersect slime chunks for them to spawn, but I didn't dig the pit specifically for a farm (my brother did, for some reason) I just wanted a farm, so I understand that it might not work.

But I am now in the process of making a new one, and using a finder, specifically this one (since no others work on my computer):

http://mcslimes.appspot.com/index.jsp

But I'm not sure if it's Xbox-compatible. Hopefully I can check if the pit has chunks, or find a good place for my new one.

Like I said, I did the same thing as your brother. The original purpose of the pit was that I thought it would be funny to build what is essentially a gate to hell at the bottom of the deepest hole in the world. It was a week later that I even thought of a slime farm.

That pit completely missed all slime chunks (though was right at the edge of one). All you have to do is expand the bottom of the existing pit. You just need passages big enough. Three wide and three high should be considered minimum. Make it as wide as you want, but anything more than 3 high is a wasted effort. Instead, dig a second level.

As for the slime finder tools, they require Javascript. I had to download it just to use the tools, but the download was free. Though that was on PC. Never tried on Xbox.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that know binary, and those that don't.
#16I_Dont_Agree(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 8:21:40 AM
^The tool I linked worked perfectly, and I found some good potential farming sites. I'd hope it works for Xbox, because I'd hate to waste all the effort.

Also, it's been said before, but how long does it usually take before I find out if my farm is successful or a complete failure? I know it's random, but on average how long might it take if I completely intersect a chunk or two?
---
#17Talon5967Posted 8/13/2012 8:41:07 AM
After opening up mine to where I wanted it, I switched to easy (was working in peaceful) and had a small, medium, and 3 large slime appear within 5 minutes. Then nothing for the several minutes I stayed down there. And the slime chunks are far enough a part that I'm well over the 25 block minimum distance from at least a few of them.Fortunately, those first few gave me enough slimeballs for almost thirty sticky pistons.

I've seen people say that it can take anywhere from a few minutes (like mine did) to a couple hours for slimes to spawn. One thing I've seen recommended is after getting a farm set up, dig a tunnel 25 blocks or more long (I went for 30, just to be safe, which also ran it through the seventh slime chunk), sit at the end of the tunnel and wait. When slimes spawn, they will find you. They can see through walls, and will always chase you. It's actually quite funny to watch 32 small slimes (2 large slimes worth) chase you around.

Also, don't use weapons to kill them. I punched the first few, and a friend used his map. I've read of people using sticks. I also used a bow on one, and it worked really well. If you use a sword you can cause too much damage and kill it instantly. You want to only do enough damage for large slimes to break into mediums, and mediums to break into smalls. Large and medium slimes can hurt you, but smalls just push you around. Punching them finishes the job and gets you slimeballs. Only small slimes will give slimeballs. Bigger ones have to be turned into smaller ones, as I already described.
---
#18I_Dont_Agree(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 9:02:08 AM
^That's some good info, will try it on my farm. I have a site with 7 chunks quite close to each other, so I think I have a good chance of finding something.

I know this board is filled with slime topics, but even with all the info some of the specific spawning circumstances confused me, and I appreciate the help!
---
#19Talon5967Posted 8/13/2012 9:11:53 AM
You think that's bad, try searching for how to use automatic piston powered doors triggered by minecart detector rails. I found only one topic, and it didn't tell me squat. Had to figure it out myself, and spent a few hours doing it while constructing the tram system that runs between my house and my soon to be castle.

The idea was for the door to open as the cart went into or out of the chamber that served as the tram station, and then close after it went through. But, I wanted the station to be completely sealed from the outside.
---
#20I_Dont_Agree(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2012 9:24:49 AM
^Haha, oh yeah, redstone's another thing I want to get into, but looks so complex, especially things that should be simple (like trap doors or even simple hidden rooms).

I did make a hidden room all on my own, that had a ''hidden'' switch and can be locked from the inside, which I think it's pretty cool (and so compact and simple).

Now I need sticky pistons to make a hidden door in the side of the cliff (but I only need 4) so hopefully I find more things to do with my slime... =/
---