How to best find Endermen? *for Ender Pearls*

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 4/17/2013 9:39:27 PM
After a while I found the Stronghold in my world and after a LOT of torches put down to clear/check the area, I finally found the End Portal.

Yea!

But, all 12 of the End Portal (block) were empty, boo!
So I need to find/get 12 Ender Pearl.
*blaze rod/powder I get easily, since I was able to make a blaze spawn farm*

That means finding and killing 12 (minimal) Endermen.

Walking around I see one or so, then disappear as suddenly.

I was wondering if anyone had any advise on getting/finding them?
*they're not set like other mobs, spawn only in x light or below x light or something like that*

Finding them on purpose = luck only?

Any ideas or advice for me please?

Thanks in advance!
---
If I am currently flaming you... this applies "It's because of people like you that there is no air in space..." -usaraud
#2jsm611Posted 4/17/2013 10:18:35 PM
Build a mob spawner that will accommodate endermen. If curious I can show you what I'm talking about. I've gotten tons of ender pearls.

GT: jsm611
#3zack12369Posted 4/17/2013 11:18:28 PM
I personally like to camp out the night in the desert. More mobs tend to spawn.
---
Common sense, a lost trait amongst gamefaqs.
http://tinyurl.com/d34tjqt
#4Zeke0238Posted 4/18/2013 2:58:33 AM
Get yourself a sword enchanted with looting. That way, you hopefully won't have to find 12 of them.
---
Molon Labe
Xbox Live Gamertag: XavierBK
#5TuohPosted 4/18/2013 3:28:21 AM
Zeke0238 posted...
Get yourself a sword enchanted with looting. That way, you hopefully won't have to find 12 of them.

This. I got 4 pearls from one Enderman using Looting III.

Also, while I don't believe they are harmed by sunlight or spawn at day, Endermen aren't as restricted. They can spawn anywhere, yes, but they tend to only spawn in dark areas.
---
"Darkling, I can smell you're blood..."
#6TalasPosted 4/18/2013 4:00:21 AM
The way I did it was I got a looting II sword (III is ideal) and I went down into my mine that intersected with ravine, at least one or two would spawn everytime the chunk would load.
---
Slamacow! http://imgur.com/97W020C.gif
In Memory of Logan
#7Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 11:59:51 AM
jsm611 posted...
Build a mob spawner that will accommodate endermen. If curious I can show you what I'm talking about. I've gotten tons of ender pearls.

GT: jsm611

The only 2 mob spawner/grinders I know, is you use water to move them and lava blade to kill them.
Or move them with water and lets them drop 22(23?) high for 1 hit kill.
*but endermen teleport on contact with water, so those builds won't work*

My GT is 'Link0link' (0 = zero), in a few hours after I post this, I'll start my world on-line so you can join if you want
*so I don't forget, I'll turn on my x360 real quick and add you as a friend, before I leave and finish helping my mom with a PC problem, then I'll get home and start MC360 up and stay on for any help your willing to give me*

zack12369 posted...
I personally like to camp out the night in the desert. More mobs tend to spawn.

So I just need to walk around at night in deserts, and planes, best to spot them?

Zeke0238 posted...

Stone or Iron sword work best for this, what level enchantment to get looting?
*I got a zombie & Blaze XP farm, so no worries on getting XP*

Tuoh posted...
This. I got 4 pearls from one Enderman using Looting III.

Also, while I don't believe they are harmed by sunlight or spawn at day, Endermen aren't as restricted. They can spawn anywhere, yes, but they tend to only spawn in dark areas.

So I need to check big caves, does lighting them up with torches help them spawn or only make sure hostel(sp?) mobs don't spawn in them?

Talas posted...
The way I did it was I got a looting II sword (III is ideal) and I went down into my mine that intersected with ravine, at least one or two would spawn everytime the chunk would load.

So walking a lot from one place to another I'll find some, ok thanks for that info.
---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#8zack12369Posted 4/18/2013 12:07:44 PM
For my way i would recommend just attacking all that you see. Build a little 3x3 platform 3 high so you can fit under it but they don't. Attack with a sword and haul ass back to that platform. OR you can do some 1v1 and fight them full on. Idk if it's a trick or not, but i find attacking their feet keeps them from teleporting hardly at all or ever.
---
Common sense, a lost trait amongst gamefaqs.
http://tinyurl.com/d34tjqt
#9Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 5:21:29 PM
I built a 2nd mob trap/grinder, using no water this time and only a 2x2 hole in the center with signs to trick them, works nicely.

About 5 layers, with a 22 block drop to where I can collect the items, and I get all mobs BUT Endermen....sigh.

I guess I'll make some Iron armor and use my Iron sword with 'Loot III' and 'Bane of Arthropods V' and walk around the full map trying to find them then.
---
"...because...I'm Batman!"
#10ManInBlack_77Posted 4/23/2013 7:18:59 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
I built a 2nd mob trap/grinder, using no water this time and only a 2x2 hole in the center with signs to trick them, works nicely.

About 5 layers, with a 22 block drop to where I can collect the items, and I get all mobs BUT Endermen....sigh.

I guess I'll make some Iron armor and use my Iron sword with 'Loot III' and 'Bane of Arthropods V' and walk around the full map trying to find them then.

You can't get Endermen in an automatic grinder really but you can build a large enclosed area that's always dark to try and get them to spawn all day instead of just at night. Despite what some people have said I'm 99.999% sure Endermen only spawn in darkness. I have never encountered one in completely lit areas.

They aren't hurt by sunlight but when attacked during the day they tend to teleport away and vanish rather than fight. If you're gonna try and find them in the wild so to speak just run around and kill stuff at night and look for the pink glow of their eyes. Unfortunately they are quite rare compared to other mobs and personally I rarely see more than one or two per night. If you have a hood sword with looting on it take a separate weapon with you and save the looting for just the Endermen. You don't want to real the looter not having gotten enough pearls. Looting III can get you up to 4 pearls from one Ender but zero is still possible.

I would also take a stack of cobblestone or dirt and when you see an enderman quickly make a small little 3x3 or 4x4 platform 3 off the ground. Hit him and then duck back under it. He will come after you but not be able to reach under the platform. Slash his legs till he dies and you win without a fight.
---
Time magazine's Man of the Year in 2006! Really. Google it if you don't believe me.