Beanburg's Birthday!

#1HoldemtimePosted 10/11/2013 4:00:50 PM(edited)
Hello Gamefaqs. There hasn't been an update thread in a long time, so I have some very exciting news for you today. This is going to be a long one, but you're going to want to read until the end because I have a surprise for all of you.

Firstly, I took a short break when GTA came out. It did wonders for my creativity and motivation. Beanburg has undergone some major transformations since I returned. Firstly, most of you already know that I'm running the Plastic Pack. I know I denounced it at first, but this pack has steadily grown on me to the point where I don't think I want to go back to Vanilla. The style just fits my vision of Beanburg so much better. I will go back to vanilla every once and a while, so don't get discouraged if the pack hasn't grown on you.

Secondly, there are a lot of new stores open. There's Dooty Bound's wood shop, where you can get raw wood for dirt cheap. There's an apple store, a tannery, the slime chunk's new location, a spider supply store, and a large plot for sale all in the same area. I have several commercial plots still available if you have a good idea for a shop so don't hesitate to contact me.

There's also now a garbage dump in the industrial section of the city. Bring any trash you don't want and dump it in the landfill. There are no chests, so stack your trash neatly into piles. No dirt, gravel, or cobblestone allowed (go to the Sedimentary Storage for that). If you're the scavenging type, the dump works like Earth Movers. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can take what you want. But please only take what you need.

The Beanburg Homless Shelter is now open. If you're the type who doesn't want to bother with a ghetto apartment there are many services within the Homeless Shelter that can sustain you while you try to get on your feet. Come check it out in the abandoned subway tunnel located near the ghetto. You will need some spare change to get in though.

My second biggest announcement is the introduction of a new game mechanic. I'm excited for this one. It occurred to me that most members of the server are steadily collecting diamonds but they don't have much use for them. I wanted to give players something to invest in besides real estate, so we now have the BBSE (Beanburg Stock Exchange) That's right, located next to Skyview Apartments is the Exchange. The way it works is simple. The BBSE uses real world stocks, from multiple markets, and transfers them over to Beanburg. Investors can choose to invest with Iron or Diamond, which correlates to real world dollars. For example, let's say an investor wanted to put money into Oracle. I would look up the current trading price, which is 33.26, so 33 iron or diamonds would be the price per share. If they wanted 3 shares in diamond they would pay 99 diamonds. The investor would let the stock sit until it appreciates and then sell it at any time for profit. There is a 1 diamond transaction fee per trade. This is a great way to keep the server's economy going while having a lot of fun playing the market. Plus, if it goes south on you there are plenty of tall buildings to hurl your body off of.

And finally, my biggest announcement. This Wednesday, the 16th of October, is Beanburg's first birthday. That's right, I've been at it for a whole year. All survival, no host options, no duping. It's been a wild ride, yet it's been so much fun every step of the way. As a thank you to all the people who helped make Beanburg possible I'm throwing a week of festivities! There will be many free to enter tournaments with great prizes. You have nothing to lose so I encourage everyone who's passed The Trials, even if you don't play on the server anymore, to come and participate in the events. At the very least you'll have fun, at best you'll walk away with great prizes. Besides, GTA has to get boring sometime.

I've run out of room so I will post my biggest announcement in the next post.
---
XBOX GT: Beancrew49
#2Holdemtime(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 3:59:44 PM
Gamefaqs, weíve been through a lot of shenanigans. Some good, most bad. I admit that it was partially my fault, but it was also partially yours. Letís put all that past us. I want bygones to be bygones. Thatís why on Wednesday, the 16th of October, I will have my world open to EVERYONE. Thatís right. You can skip on past The Trials and come see whatís going on in Beanburg. You will not have privileges, but there should be plenty of residents to show you around, explain the way the server operates and show off their builds. Weíve worked hard on this server and I want to share it with the community, even you TDP. So send me a friend request and join our game and party on Wednesday.

One last thing. Iíve noticed a lot of new players on this board so Iíll give a quick run down of what Beanburg is. Beanburg is a community server based around a large city and a relatively structured economy. In the server players can choose to play the way they want. They can live in the city and get caught up in the hustle and bustle of making a living or they can move out into the wilderness and live the slower life, building as they please. Some do both. The game is played only on survival normal. It has never been in creative and it never will be. As a result, I want to limit participants to certain kinds of people. For this purpose I built The Trials, a series of challenges that test your courage, wisdom, and character. If you want to join the community, come over for a glimpse, or just want to have some fun in The Trials send me a friend request at Beancrew49 and join the open party and game.

Thatís all from me for now. Happy Birthday Beanburg and I hope to see you all soon!
---
#3z_UndisplayedPosted 10/11/2013 4:17:19 PM
Holdemtime posted...
For this purpose I built The Trials, a series of challenges that test your courage, wisdom, and character.

Thatís all from me for now. Happy Birthday Beanburg and I hope to see you all soon!

Please explain. All I remember is some parkour and a bit of other stuff. Wisdom? Character?

Well, at least I found a workaround to my security check problem. Now I can sign in whenever I want, given that I have an extra controller at the time.

I would join if I had gold membership.

And those who skip the trials, will they have to retake them once the B-Day is over?
---
There are 4 of us: Eternal Darkness, Pure Darkness, Lasting Darkness, and Forever Darkness.
I am Eternal Darkness.
#4Holdemtime(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 4:22:58 PM
z_Undisplayed posted...
Holdemtime posted...
For this purpose I built The Trials, a series of challenges that test your courage, wisdom, and character.

Please explain. All I remember is some parkour and a bit of other stuff. Wisdom? Character?

Well, at least I found a workaround to my security check problem. Now I can sign in whenever I want, given that I have an extra controller at the time.

And those who skip the trials, will they have to retake them once the B-Day is over?

I don't talk about the details of The Trials here or on my server in order to maintain the surprise.

The world will be open on Wednesday only. If someone wants to join after that then they will have to go through The Trials at a later date. I will not be running The Trials on Wednesday.
---
#5z_UndisplayedPosted 10/11/2013 5:03:01 PM
Holdemtime posted...
z_Undisplayed posted...
Holdemtime posted...

I don't talk about the details of The Trials here or on my server in order to maintain the surprise.

The world will be open on Wednesday only. If someone wants to join after that then they will have to go through The Trials at a later date. I will not be running The Trials on Wednesday.

If I was new and joined Wednesday then came back around a week later, I don't have to do it?
---
There are 4 of us: Eternal Darkness, Pure Darkness, Lasting Darkness, and Forever Darkness.
I am Eternal Darkness.
#63CDEDPosted 10/11/2013 5:06:32 PM
stock exchange? you really have been playing GTA. good call bean very good call.
---
Resident GFAQS Karin Fanboi
http://www.hachiroku.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/_mg_7468.jpg
#7The21stgunPosted 10/11/2013 5:11:48 PM
We should burn the city on its birthday! x3

Just kidding! Man, its amazing what you can do in a year on survival, you must be so proud!
---
Stay Furry Forever!
Xbox GT: XWARXSWITCHX C2 FC (FoxyGrampa) 3053-4662-4517 | Conduit 2 Website: http://conduit2gaming.weebly.com/index.html
#8Holdemtime(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 5:27:15 PM
Ha ha, no. To join the server on any other day means going through The Trials. Wednesday is a free pass for everyone.

GTA, humph. This isn't the first idea they stole from Beanburg. Starting from nothing in the ghetto, hustling for the cheddar, buying up apartments and real estate, starting your own mega empire with a chain of wood stores across the city. Investing in the stock market was just another lifted idea. Plus the graphics in Beanburg are way better.

A year is a long time. I imagine what I could have accomplished in creative in that time. It would be mind boggling. So yeah, I'm pretty proud of what was accomplished in survival.

To be honest though, the most difficult task was not collecting all the materials OR building the city. The toughest part was constantly coming up with new ideas. We've done a pretty good job of making each and every building in the city serve a unique purpose that contributes to the overall operation of the city. I think that's what I'm most proud of. And there are so many more good ideas to come! Just last night three of us collectively came up with a phenomenal idea for a city dump. With ideas like that there's no telling where we'll end up!
---
#9The21stgunPosted 10/11/2013 5:43:29 PM
Holdemtime posted...
Ha ha, no. To join the server on any other day means going through The Trials. Wednesday is a free pass for everyone.

GTA, humph. This isn't the first idea they stole from Beanburg. Starting from nothing in the ghetto, hustling for the cheddar, buying up apartments and real estate, starting your own mega empire with a chain of wood stores across the city. Investing in the stock market was just another lifted idea. Plus the graphics in Beanburg are way better.

A year is a long time. I imagine what I could have accomplished in creative in that time. It would be mind boggling. So yeah, I'm pretty proud of what was accomplished in survival.

To be honest though, the most difficult task was not collecting all the materials OR building the city. The toughest part was constantly coming up with new ideas. We've done a pretty good job of making each and every building in the city serve a unique purpose that contributes to the overall operation of the city. I think that's what I'm most proud of. And there are so many more good ideas to come! Just last night three of us collectively came up with a phenomenal idea for a city dump. With ideas like that there's no telling where we'll end up!

Because city dumps are all the rage!!! lol

I think you should buil an ampitheatre if you havent yet :3 have people come in and do kareoke xD
---
Stay Furry Forever!
Xbox GT: XWARXSWITCHX C2 FC (FoxyGrampa) 3053-4662-4517 | Conduit 2 Website: http://conduit2gaming.weebly.com/index.html
#10Holdemtime(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 5:52:53 PM
The21stgun posted...
Holdemtime posted...

Because city dumps are all the rage!!! lol

I think you should buil an ampitheatre if you havent yet :3 have people come in and do kareoke xD

Was it Lokstir who gave you the city tour? If you had me as a guide we would have stopped briefly at The Quay.
---