What Determines a Hardcore Gamer?

#1Famine_10f4Posted 8/23/2011 11:48:15 AM

There isn't much else to talk about and I'm a tad bit curious.

To my understanding being |H4RDC0R3| simply requires you to play a certain game until you grow an understanding of the weapons and mechanics of said game and creating strategies that best own D@ N3WBz.

There is always a lot of talk about games catering to casual players however I think many games are falsely accused, which normally results in me being called a scrub.

Simplifying is the watch word. Stripping a game so difficulty and learning curve are none existent is when a game caters to the casual player... Splinter Cell Conviction for instance, a series that once had a ton of depth that was difficult to get your head around and then simplified... Conviction has less depth than the very first Splinter Cell game.

However Halo CE was the shallowest Halo game in the series... Does it mean it's casual? Being the original game I don't think it counts, though many fans think it to be the most skill required Halo game yet.
No one can deny that Halo CE's MP was without it's problems, it was difficult to master which is probably why the veterans regard it as the most skill required Halo evar. However my question is was it skill based because it had depth or because it was unbalanced and filled with issues that only the extremely determined players could get past.

I've been seeing some similarities amongst Hardcore gamers, they always seem to favor the unpolished and most bug plagued version of said game.
The Gears of War series for instance... Most Hardcore players praise the original for it's fast paced and chaotic shotgun battles, though that was because gamers figured out that it was way more effective to exploit wall bouncing with the over-powered and unbalanced shotgun than to use cover and suppressing fire.
Over time glitches like crab walking and such were found which made it that much more difficult... difficult only for the newbs that couldn't or wouldn't cheat.

It didn't surprise me when I saw certain people loving the idea of button combos making a return which were nothing more than glitches and exploits in Halo 2; sure it may be difficult to master glitches however they are cheats none the less...

The Halo series has been getting more and more complicated as its gone along, I personally find this a good thing, however Halo Reach has been getting nothing but hate since it was released. I thought Reach was relatively balanced and varied.

Skill is apparently none existent however because the Hardcore gamer amazingly can't get their edge or get their head around AA's, with newbish players being able to run away and such.

If Hardcore gamers were so patient to master one game (Halo CE) why can't they do the same when things change? I constantly see "My strategy that worked in Halo 1-2 doesn't work now", and these are the players that claim to be amongst the skillful...

After my time with the Halo boards my impression of the Hardcore gamer has changed an awful lot. For players that;

#1: Can't think up new strategies
#2: Can't get their heads around change
#3: Use cheats to give themselves and edge
#4: And prefer the simplified version of the game

All this just screams out that Hardcore gamers are really a bunch of newbs...

#2Majoras_pantsPosted 8/23/2011 2:15:00 PM
You either lose your virginity or become a hardcore gamer. There is no in between.

Hardcore gamers are just people who identify themselves as a gamer, where casual gamers just like to play some games.
#3_SawyerPosted 8/23/2011 3:19:58 PM
Famine_10f4 posted...
For players that;
#1: Can't think up new strategies
#2: Can't get their heads around change
#3: Use cheats to give themselves and edge
#4: And prefer the simplified version of the game

All this just screams out that Hardcore gamers are really a bunch of newbs...

Are you really gonna say that and not include your GT? You probably get called a scrub for a reason.
---
Teh Real Dejkha
"Ya took my stuff"
#4ArsairiusPosted 8/23/2011 4:04:55 PM
"What determines a hardcore gamer?" Um.... simple, his/her skills. Duh.

No, but seriously. Almost all "hardcore gamers" are annoying. I try to avoid them so I dont really care what "makes a hardcore gamer" b/c theyre not hardcore. They're a little 9 year old who thinks hes hardcore b/c he killed someone with a grenade launcher(COD) or rocket(Halo). Ive met a few REAL hardcore gamers over xbox live who were pretty cool, but by a few I mean like 2 or 3. TC, real hardcore gamers go to tournaments, know as much abt the games they play that a football player knows abt football, and are pretty much the exact opposite of what you wrote. I personally play games for fun and to relieve stress, not drama, not bragging, not being annoying (wtf is up will certain kids howling/singing on the mic?), and not causing myself more stress.
#5_SawyerPosted 8/23/2011 4:17:57 PM
TC, that^ guy is practically the definition of a casual gamer. And that's not a bad thing. He plays games for the same reason most people play game, hence most people being casual gamers. Hardcore gamers spend more time with the game, practice getting better (which is my most of them are), and take it more seriously. You're acting like being called a casual gamer is an insult, because I've seen enough of your posts on the subject to know this is just you rage posting.
---
Teh Real Dejkha
"Ya took my stuff"
#6EliteNamedStevePosted 8/23/2011 5:57:01 PM

Hardcore is a relative term. Like many things, it will vary with perspective. There is no absolute hardcore.

Hardcore is a level of investment in a given area. A hardcore gamer invests more time and thought to games than casual people. As you said OP, the most used way to classify a hardcore is their understanding of the game. They know how the game works, why stuff happens, and they use that when they play. A casual will just react to stuff happening to them, a hardcore will cause things to happen.

But what you go on to describe are not just hardcore players. Those symptoms are of fanboys. They like something so much they ignore all critisism and fault. Yes they are hardcore in that they have found how to best exploit the game, but they cling to it so much because they cant admit to themselves that it needs fixing. It is perfect in their eyes.

#7Famine_10f4(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 6:20:05 PM

Again with the gamertag... Can my post not be taken seriously with out it? I guess I would have to be president if I were to talk politics using your terms.

*sigh*

I am not trying to rant, I actually took the time to organize my thoughts for a coherent post. I also didn't interned to hate on anyone, just that some of these Hardcore gamers (yourself included... I think) contradict yourselves on a regular basis.

Fun is subjective and to say enjoyment makes you casual seems weird (not ranting). For example the older Splinter Cell titles were some of the funnest games I've played, the ones that catered to the Hardcore... Does enjoying the game for it's difficulty and learning curve make me casual?

I get what your saying, Hardcore gamers play to be the best of the best, get the highest rank, be #1... Though I don't see how cheating (button combos) makes you better, it might get you a higher score but not honorably.

Can you answer this for me... If being casual means you mainly play for fun then what does it mean when a game becomes casual friendly? As most people hate Reach for this reason.
I would think it would be by making the game easier by simplifying (as I commented in my first post) however Reach is the most in depth and complicated Halo game to date, it doesn't make sense.

Hardcore gamers practise and get better to become the best, yet I've seen you post a number of times that your tactics from previous games don't work, that a guy running away is unfair, AA's in general add an unknown factor and again make battles unfair... By your definition of a hardcore gamer should just endure and suffer like they did to master Combat Evolved...

Being that they don't play for fun it shouldn't matter whether the game is casual friendly.

As for being casual you have enlightened me and I would definitely fit under this category... However it doesn't automatically mean I'm scrub...
You can not deny that most people put the blame on consoles and casual gamers when referring to a game's short coming, and being called casual is normally an insult in the gaming community. You yourself have already done that a number of times so you saying "There is nothing wrong with being casual" is hysterical... Though it does prove my point you Hardcore gamers contradict yourselves.

#8Famine_10f4(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2011 6:23:41 PM

EliteNamedSteve posted...

Hardcore is a relative term. Like many things, it will vary with perspective. There is no absolute hardcore.

Hardcore is a level of investment in a given area. A hardcore gamer invests more time and thought to games than casual people. As you said OP, the most used way to classify a hardcore is their understanding of the game. They know how the game works, why stuff happens, and they use that when they play. A casual will just react to stuff happening to them, a hardcore will cause things to happen.

But what you go on to describe are not just hardcore players. Those symptoms are of fanboys. They like something so much they ignore all critisism and fault. Yes they are hardcore in that they have found how to best exploit the game, but they cling to it so much because they cant admit to themselves that it needs fixing. It is perfect in their eyes.

Thank you for your contribution... I still don't understand how exploiting a game makes you better, you just become a cheater and it isn't Honorable... Unless stats is the only thing that matters in which case boosters must be the best players of all time.

#9EliteNamedStevePosted 8/23/2011 6:45:54 PM
They are not cheating really, they are using only what the developers game them. They are masters of their domain. They have gotten an understanding of the game that lets them do things you wouldnt normally consider possible. They are kinda like Neo in the Matrix. They see the simulation for what it is and bend it to their will. What is intended doesnt matter to them, only how they can use it to win. Hiding in a rock is a stupid thing to consider, but in MW2 people found ways to do that to gain that edge.
This is the game they feel the developers have given them to play. They see what it is as perfect, and the idea of what it was supposed to be means nothing to them. BXR is an exploit, but it is in the game and thus they feel that is how it should be. Doesnt matter the developers didnt want it and couldnt fix it, its there and they will use it.
The game is perfect to them, flaws are features, glitches are things to be used for an advantage. They are trapped by their past ideas of what the game was. They cant move on as the developers forge a new game to more closely match their real vision.
#10JonThePenguinPosted 8/23/2011 7:21:49 PM(edited)
Anyone who plays games I like is obviously hardcore.

Anyone who plays games I don't like is obviously casual.

</the internet>

---
JonthePenguin
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=erunion