Is Halo meant to compete against CoD and Battlefield?

#1Artoo_D2Posted 11/1/2011 2:16:18 AM
I can't put my finger on it, but the series always felt like a middle ground between Call of Duty and Battlefield. Not as fast paced as CoD, but no huge emphasis on specialized classes either. I know Reach implemented loadouts, but those felt like minor additions only to please folks who love perks. I thought Reach lacked a sense of direction because of this, like it wanted to retain its classic slow gameplay, but at the same time, the way other shooters play are changing.

Not sure what point I'm trying to make, but I've kinda gotten bored of it. Reach felt like a perfected Halo 2, but it didn't really feel like it had anything new to introduce to FPSes. So I guess the question is, what should I expect from Halo 4?
#2Famine_10f4Posted 11/1/2011 2:18:54 AM

Its in the shooter category so I could only assume it would be competing with other shooters.

#3Busy_Man123Posted 11/1/2011 3:57:29 AM

Halo is meant to be a game. Video game wars are lame.

#4bobfather7Posted 11/1/2011 9:58:55 AM
I would hope that Halo 4 is more like Halo 2 and 3 than Reach. Halo is about fluid gunfights, not getting cheap kills because your opponent was sprinting when the battle started.
---
(\../).. |#[_]#| |[_]|
(o.O) |+[_]::| |+ :| (O.O) (::) (>^_^)>
#5Born_StellarPosted 11/1/2011 10:04:50 AM

well, reach was a disappointment in comparison to the rest of the main series. to me it represented a decline in bungie's ability to create games of the same standard as they used to. and yes, halo is supposed to be able to compete against games like CoD and battlefield, but reach just wasnt of the same calibre and thus fell behind rather quickly (when looking at xbl activity).

but now bungie has passed the torch onward, and in my opinion this was for the best. I'd always wished they'd go out with a bang, but regretably all they managed was a rather disappointing crackle. better that than see them bring further decline to the franchise though.

#6DuwstaiPosted 11/1/2011 12:21:59 PM
Born_Stellar posted...
well, reach was a disappointment in comparison to the rest of the main series. to me it represented a decline in bungie's ability to create games of the same standard as they used to. and yes, halo is supposed to be able to compete against games like CoD and battlefield, but reach just wasnt of the same calibre and thus fell behind rather quickly (when looking at xbl activity).but now bungie has passed the torch onward, and in my opinion this was for the best. I'd always wished they'd go out with a bang, but regretably all they managed was a rather disappointing crackle. better that than see them bring further decline to the franchise though.

I... actually agree.

*head splodes*
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999
#7Born_StellarPosted 11/1/2011 1:02:40 PM

great, now change your gamertag for goodness sake.

#8Famine_10f4Posted 11/1/2011 1:13:59 PM

Duwstai posted...
Born_Stellar posted...
well, reach was a disappointment in comparison to the rest of the main series. to me it represented a decline in bungie's ability to create games of the same standard as they used to. and yes, halo is supposed to be able to compete against games like CoD and battlefield, but reach just wasnt of the same calibre and thus fell behind rather quickly (when looking at xbl activity).but now bungie has passed the torch onward, and in my opinion this was for the best. I'd always wished they'd go out with a bang, but regretably all they managed was a rather disappointing crackle. better that than see them bring further decline to the franchise though.

I... actually agree.

*head splodes*
---
XBL: eL Sm3gmA ::: PSN: Smegtico
"so continue to not care, while a bunch of fat pre teen kids teabag you"- shrub999

As do I...

#9PatchTuesdayPosted 11/1/2011 3:15:35 PM
Born_Stellar posted...

I don't know that it said anything about Bungie's ability. To me it just seemed like they were weary of making Halo. And even then I'm always going to give them credit for Reach - there was some ambition, and some drive to inject some new life and features while trying not to stray too far from the formula of the first three. Execution was a little underwhelming but I think that's mostly because their heart wasn't in it.
---
GT: Stringslayer420
#10GTAChaosManPosted 11/1/2011 4:33:49 PM
halo...is a series meant to be made before those games were..
---
XBL GT: EJ SPARTAN 117
I got GTA IV at about 12:40 A.M. on April 29, 2008