Does anyone know the full chronology of the series?

#1Strider_HiruPosted 11/18/2011 6:21:49 PM
I know it's a dumb question, but considering the games and the novels are connected in some way (like The Witcher, I suppose) I wanted to know the full chronology of both. I THINK I know the games, as it goes something like this:

- Halo Wars
- Halo Reach
- Halo Combat Evolved
- Halo 2
- Halo ODST
- Halo 3
- Halo 4

What about the books? Do they really count as canon, and if so, there do they fit?
---
Currently Playing: Eternal Ring (PS2)
#2NickiousPosted 11/18/2011 7:02:46 PM
Yeah that the right order for the game and yeah Halo books are considered canon, though a lower form of canon. Any details of theirs book that is contradicting of the game(not necessarily all of the book void mind you just those details), the games will obviously super-secede that canon.

On the top of my head, probably not all, just some that I've read, are the Fall of Reach (pretty sure its just some spartan appearance details) and Halo Cryptum.

its been awhile since I read so I can't name all details, though I'm pretty sure their is a little bit of contradicting information about the forerunners in the Cryptum book and humanities role in that era. It could have been just the games didn't provide much clues as to what humanity actually had to do with the forerunners or the game downplayed humanities role in that era. Could be wrong been about 9 months since I read. Good read btw. Can't wait for the next one.
#3devil mingyPosted 11/18/2011 8:11:38 PM
The timeline gets a little messy as a few novels span decades.

Please note that I did not list Evolutions, Legends, or the Halo Graphic Novel, as they are anthologies. Any with question marks beside them are speculative, as no date has been given for them on a timeline.

- Halo: Cryptum and the rest of the Forerunner trilogy
- Fall of Reach begins
- Contact Harvest
- Halo Wars: Genesis and Halo Wars
- Cole Protocol
- Ghosts of Onyx begins
- Halo: Helljumpers (?)
- Halo: Reach
- Fall of Reach ends
- First Strike ends
- Halo: Bloodlines (?)
- Halo 1 and The Flood
- First Strike begins
- Halo 2 begins
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo 2 ends
- Ghosts of Onyx ends
- Halo: Uprising
- Halo 3
- Glasslands
- Halo 4
---
Got a Halo story question?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632877-halo-4/59577580
#4Strider_Hiru(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 8:22:57 PM
Okay, thanks for listing that. I've never really followed the stories too well in the games but what I was wondering was are the novels really needed to grasp the stories in the games? I recall the start of Halo 3 confusing the hell out of me as I missed something, but I figure what I missed was paying attention to the plot of the second game to understand how it was starting. :P
---
#5devil mingyPosted 11/18/2011 8:49:49 PM(edited)
No. In fact, some may argue that it makes more sense if you don't read the books.

Halo 3's storytelling is very obtuse. I read all of the books and I didn't really get it. It wasn't until Evolutions was released (over 2 years later) that it actually made some sense. I would be more than happy to fill in some of the gaps if you happen to remember what confused you.
---
#6Strider_Hiru(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 9:20:19 PM
devil mingy posted...
No. In fact, some may argue that it makes more sense if you don't read the books.

Halo 3's storytelling is very obtuse. I read all of the books and I didn't really get it. It wasn't until Evolutions was released (over 2 years later) that it actually made some sense. I would be more than happy to fill in some of the gaps if you happen to remember what confused you.

Mostly the intro confused me, with Cortana being MIA. I believe she's not with you at the end of Halo 2, right? I think what got to me when I played that game was I didn't realize that.

Granted, I was 15 when Halo 2 launched and wasn't paying attention to the story, so that was probably my fault.
---
#7devil mingyPosted 11/18/2011 9:31:27 PM
Yes, Cortana stayed behind on High Charity at the end of Halo 2 while the Chief followed Truth on the Dreadnought.
---
#8Strider_Hiru(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 9:50:11 PM
Okay. So, I'm not losing anything major by skipping the books, right? Because in another series that ties more heavily to books, The Witcher, almost requires reading the books, as it greatly helps the player understand the importance of characters, locations, and events that transpired before them.

But I suppose that's because The Witcher was conceived as a series of novels, and later a new arc was formed in the form of video games, whereas Halo is a game series that has tie-in books.
---