Did Reach retcon Ghosts of Onyx?

#1legendarysaiyPosted 1/28/2012 7:47:49 PM
I didnt play reach, but i noticed one of the spartans had the same helmet type that the Spartan III's have on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx. I also haven't read any of the books since then, or know if the books are even considered canon.
---
GT: El V3RDU60
You're a dragonborn, not a polarbearborn.-whoTHAthugINthr
#2devil mingyPosted 1/28/2012 8:04:15 PM(edited)
Did Reach retcon Ghosts of Onyx?

No, at least not in any significant way. The usual discrepancies with Spartan numbers are about as bad as it gets.

I didnt play reach, but i noticed one of the spartans had the same helmet type that the Spartan III's have on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx

Which one? SPI is not in this game. There are a few similar ones (such as EVA and Pilot), but it's only in aesthetics.

Regardless, SPI armor has been around long before the Covenant invaded Reach, so it wouldn't really be a retcon anyway.

I also haven't read any of the books since then, or know if the books are even considered canon.

They are canon, and I would recommend Evolutions.
#3legendarysaiy(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2012 8:09:22 PM
I guess it was the just the EVA armor. I'll check out evolutions, has anything been revealed concerning the Spartan III's and Hasley? This game could actually delve into that. Wasnt the end of Ghosts happening at the same time as Halo 3?
---
#4devil mingyPosted 1/28/2012 8:14:13 PM(edited)
The Halsey and Spartan III subplot has been resolved (kinda rushed, in my opinion) in the novel Glasslands. It's not nearly as exciting as the end of Ghosts of Onyx makes it out be, but it's also barely a fourth of Glasslands.
#5legendarysaiy(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2012 8:18:36 PM
I'll have to read that one then. I actually expected Reach to be some sort of tie in of Ghosts when it was first announced. I love that book so much. For me its the best out of the first 4. Always thought the Spartan III's were a lot cooler, even though they are pretty easy to kill.
---
#6PoppadopPosted 2/1/2012 10:38:53 PM(edited)
devil mingy posted...
The Halsey and Spartan III subplot has been resolved (kinda rushed, in my opinion) in the novel Glasslands.

I can think of much more negative adjectives than "rushed" for what everyone's not-so-favorite Mandalorian fangirl did, but yeah. It still doesn't explain what happened to Jun, though.

legendarysaiy posted...
I'll have to read that one then.

Brace yourself for it, then. Traviss's writing is nowhere near as technologically or militarily inclined as Nylund's, but she has her moments [BB, Philips, post-Schism Covenant....]. Where she really botches the book is in using it to lambast Halsey. It's a pretty strange sentiment when she loves Mandalorians and they raise children into soldiers as a matter of course, even going as far as "adopting" children of the people they kill [see: Jango Fett].

TBQH, The Flood is no longer my least liked Halo novel.

I actually expected Reach to be some sort of tie in of Ghosts when it was first announced. I love that book so much.

How could Reach be a tie-in with Ghosts when the Battle of Reach ends about two months before Ghosts starts?
---
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me