Help me like this game (warning: rant and spoilers)

#1JoltZeroPosted 1/29/2012 1:10:09 AM
Prelude: I only got an Xbox after Halo 3 was released, and played through the campaigns back-to-back. This was about a couple of months after H3 was released, so it has been several years and I'm kind of fuzzy on the details.

The first one was amazing. The environment, the enemies, and the gameplay were perfect. Landing on a strange "planet thing" and exploring it's architecture while battling aliens was a blast. It also had a cool horror element when it introduced the flood. You also had a lot of options to choose to do to. You could use a tank, a banshee, snipe, do whatever. The final part where your racing away on a warthog was truly epic. It was one of the few games that I play through and I actually want to go back and repeat it, but the second one was already out so I wanted to see what that held.

The second one was pretty cool as well. I don't know what the popular opinion is, but I enjoyed playing as the arbiter. We got to learn more about the culture of the aliens we were fighting as well as why we are fighting them in the first place. We also met gravemind, a mysterious creature who lives in the Halo. Not to mention it was much, much longer than the first one. It introduced a lot more elements and left a lot of questions left unanswered, so I was eager to start the next one.

To my disappointment, Halo 3 failed on many counts. It was far too short, the plot was boring, and it left so many things from the first two games unanswered.

Only nine levels? The first one had 10, the second had 20something, why only 9? I was expecting an awesome finale that would take up a lot of time and feel very rewarding at the end, only to say, "...that's it?"

Killing off two characters that weren't even THAT important isn't dramatic. It's cheesy, especially in the manner they did it.

As for the unanswered questions; What exactly was the flood? Who was gravemind? Who were the forerunners? Why did they built the halos and the Ark in the first place? Was it to contain the flood or to be used as a weapon? And why did they make them so big and planet like? Why didn't we get to learn more about the covenant's culture?

I could go on about the third one, but those unanswered questions really get to me. I want to like Halo, but I just can't. They had so many interesting things going on their story, but it was so dull at the end. If anyone can fill me in on those things, I might be able to get a better appreciation for it.
---
Raam is pretty much Kim Kardashian without makeup but he has a smaller wang. ~charon78au
#2_SawyerPosted 1/29/2012 7:42:06 AM
Dude, I'm not even that into the story and I knew the answers to half of those questions.

Word is that the new trilogy will be taking place possibly on a forerunner planet so that should give some good info on them. But if you like the story so much, then get into the books. That's where the story really shines, without a doubt.
---
Teh Real Dejkha
"Ya took my stuff"
#3Pats4Life128151Posted 1/29/2012 10:11:17 AM
A lot of those unanswered questions were answered in halo 2 and halo 3............tc dont take offense to this please, but pay more attention to what is being said in the games
---
"I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
-Michael Jordan
#4Famine_10f4Posted 1/29/2012 10:51:45 AM

I agree on the part that Halo 3 was a let down. I personally found the story very dull and there were not that many wow moments, even the locations felt stale.

The unanswered questions were answered, more or less. We don't get much insight to the forerunners but we do know why the created the rings. My only problem comes from the confusion between the books and games. The books paint a very different picture, the humans NOT being forerunner as Guilty Spark says, really threw me off.

I really hope that in this new trilogy I can just play the games without having to read the books too in order to grasp everything.

#5MrStyPosted 1/29/2012 11:59:04 AM
I thought Halo 3's campaign was better than 2's. 2's story didn't even make sense.

Oh, another Halo that requires a human to activate it? Let's land on it with a BUNCH OF OTHER F***ING HUMANS.

Halo 2's story could've been avoided.
---
I know your roomie is supposedly in MLG and supposedly has a g/f who is supposedly a fox. I have no patience for bestiality... - Krazylegz
#6Famine_10f4Posted 1/29/2012 12:29:51 PM

I don't believe anyone knew that only humans could activate it...

#7SpiduxUnlimitedPosted 1/29/2012 6:06:06 PM
Killing off two characters that weren't even THAT important isn't dramatic. It's cheesy, especially in the manner they did it.

Sgt Johnson is one of the most important characters of the game. Did you even watch the friggin cutscenes? Did you pay attention to any of it? Can you speak english?

As for the unanswered questions; What exactly was the flood? Who was gravemind? Who were the forerunners? Why did they built the halos and the Ark in the first place? Was it to contain the flood or to be used as a weapon? And why did they make them so big and planet like? Why didn't we get to learn more about the covenant's culture?

Seriously?

I could go on about the third one, but those unanswered questions really get to me. I want to like Halo, but I just can't. They had so many interesting things going on their story, but it was so dull at the end. If anyone can fill me in on those things, I might be able to get a better appreciation for it.

So you had unanswered questions about the first two episodes of a trilogy, and that bugged you so much that you pretty much gave up paying attention into the third episode... Seriously, do you pay attention to anything? Did you just skip every cutscene?
---
With my middle finger up I'm sayin **** how you feel
In my hand there's a blunt and my system there's a pill--D-Lo
#8devil mingyPosted 1/29/2012 9:21:51 PM(edited)
Only nine levels? The first one had 10, the second had 20something, why only 9? I was expecting an awesome finale that would take up a lot of time and feel very rewarding at the end, only to say, "...that's it?"

Halo 2 had 13 levels, not counting the tutorial and opening cutscene (which, if counted, would actually make Halo 3 have 10 levels)

To each his own, I suppose.

The Flood is a parasite that takes control of host bodies and converts them into forms that it can use to spread itself further. I'm not exactly sure if this is the answer you were looking for, though.

The Gravemind is the Flood's brain.

The Forerunner were a race that lived 100 millenia ago and created the Halo and Ark to neutralize the Flood. This is also explained in the games:

"[Halo Installations are] Weapons of last resort, created by the Forerunners to eliminate all potential Flood hosts, thereby rendering the parasite harmless" - 343 Guilty Spark, Halo 2 (paraphrased).

As for what exactly the Forerunner are... well, that's what Halo 4 is for.

They are large because they were also research facilities for the Flood:

"This installation was built to study and contain the Flood."- 343 Guilty Spark, Halo: Combat Evolved (paraphrased)

I will agree that this point isn't explained very well, but look at it this way: would Halo 1 be as memorable if Halo was a drab, small research station?

Halo 2 gives a pretty nice look at Covenant culture, probably more than that other games give to the UNSC. To be frank, they didn't really need to elaborate on the Covenant much more than necessary because, in the grand scheme of things, the Covenant are only peripherally related to the Flood/Forerunner/Human conflict that is at the heart of the series and will be the all but guaranteed focus of the Reclaimer trilogy. If you are interested in learning more, I would recommend the novel Contact Harvest.

As for the topic at hand... I'm not exactly sure what to say. We really don't have any idea what this game will be like, so providing compelling evidence to like it is difficult. I guess you could look up some info on it when it comes out, and then rent it to see if you like it.