Never played any Halo

#1JackalsIIIPosted 2/4/2012 10:40:10 PM
I have never played any of the Halo games, I played a demo of the first game way back in the day but that's pretty much it. I just got an XBox for Christmas with a few games and was thinking of jumping into Halo. Don't have much money and my local Hastings has Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST. Which one should I buy first or at all?

I like the idea of getitng Anniversary as its the first game revised but it is still around $40 as is Reach so I'm just looking to try one of the games and I heard great things about 3 and ODST, just not sure where to start. Figured I can get one of them and by time I'm done, hopfully Anniversary is cheaper. That's the plan anyways.

Thanks in advance!
---
Chrono Trigger is the greatest RPG ever made.
#2devil mingyPosted 2/4/2012 11:21:36 PM
Halo 3: ODST is a bit of an unorthodox Halo experience, single player wise. However, if you're interested in multiplayer, it's a better value because it comes with all of Halo 3's multiplayer.

Halo 2 can also be found pretty cheap, too, and it will play on the Xbox 360 (although it does suffer from some problems due to Microsoft's crap emulation).
#3JackalsIII(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2012 7:46:19 AM
I got one of the first generations (my friend gave me his old one when he upgraded) so I wasn't sure if it was backwards compatible but I did read that Halo2 sounds to be a lot of people's favorite in the series.
---
Chrono Trigger is the greatest RPG ever made.
#4Famine_10f4Posted 2/5/2012 10:34:22 AM

Halo 2 should be easy to find cheap. Halo 3 should also be below $30 being that it is fairly old. As for Halo 1 I would recommend Anniversary being that you can switch the graphics to experience the old ways, I would just recommend you play it with the original soundtrack if you do end up picking it up.

#5masterch1ef1994Posted 2/5/2012 6:00:33 PM
Halo 1-Halo 3 IMO. Don't bother with the back-to-back stinkers (Halo ODST and Halo Reach).
#6zzoid150Posted 2/7/2012 11:44:06 AM

If you want to play for the campaign buy Halo 3 but if you want multiplayer buy ODST because it's just Halo 3 with all the map packs

#7SNES_64_DC_XboxPosted 2/7/2012 1:45:24 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there was anyone left on the planet who hadn't at least played the first game. Anyways, play Anniversary first and with CLASSIC SETTINGS ON. (Screw the new look) Then, if you can, play Halo 2, then 3. GO IN ORDER! If you don't, 3 will not be quite as powerful, and Reach would make almost no sense without background knowledge. Just ignore ODST. (Unless you are just wanting mutliplayer, then ODST would be the best choice out of all.)
---
'I can't believe I lost to this, SCUM!!!'
-Meteo Crusher
#8metroidman92Posted 2/7/2012 11:27:22 PM
Get Anniversary, Halo 2, and Halo 3 for the basic plot points. Reach and ODST's stories don't really have any bearing on Halo 4 (the chances are slim to none). Reach is referenced maybe once or twice in the main trilogy, and only the overall defeat at that. Hell, read the Fall of Reach if you want the REAL account of what happened.

You also might want to read up on the Forerunners, and read the Forerunner books. Great novels in their own right, and hopefully will feed into Halo 4.
---
I delete data like you on the way to real errors.
Poems, everybody! The laddie reckons himself a poet!